Skippykix is offline Find More Posts by Skippykix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts
Why sell it cheap now? Like everyone else, my planes still fly great on it. Its just the future path that is problematic.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Suspended Account
United States
Joined Dec 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcop View Post
Chris,
The letter I got from Horizon basically stated that DSMX isn't going anywhere and it is the system that the team members will use, as well as the system that will continue to be used in the Horizon brand products. It wouldn't make sense for them to change over to JR's system, I would think Horizon would then have to pay JR for the use of the system and all the money spent on DSM/DSM2/DSMX would have been a waste.

Lee
I think this is really interesting... Horizon is trying to push their DSM/DSM2/DSMX system, and lock JR out of the U.S. market.... sure they'll sell JR, but it appears that Horizon really wants JR to wither and die.

- No team pilots
- Controlled marketing
- Controlled price

Looks like a train wreck for both JR and Spektrum.
Chris Todd is offline Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by Skippykix
Retired USN
United States, TN, Oakland
Joined Mar 2007
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bwana1 View Post
Why sell it cheap now? Like everyone else, my planes still fly great on it. Its just the future path that is problematic.
Because something new came out, so the old stuff must be junk right Just look how much the price of a DA-150 dropped when DA came out with the 170. Nothing wrong with the DA-150, It's just something a little better came out.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippykix View Post
Because something new came out, so the old stuff must be junk right Just look how much the price of a DA-150 dropped when DA came out with the 170. Nothing wrong with the DA-150, It's just something a little better came out.
Not even close to an accurate analogy.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by Skippykix
Retired USN
United States, TN, Oakland
Joined Mar 2007
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
Not even close to an accurate analogy.
Really?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
how can Jr and Spektrum not be competitors?

How can there be harmony amongst the owners of Jr and of Spektrum (HH) who happen to
also be the JR representatives in the USA for JR.

Seems like two Cartels agreeing to share a territory?
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by Planeoho
Oquawka Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
how can Jr and Spektrum not be competitors?

How can there be harmony amongst the owners of Jr and of Spektrum (HH) who happen to
also be the JR representatives in the USA for JR.

Seems like two Cartels agreeing to share a territory?
Kinda like the relationship between Futaba and Tatic/anylink? How does Tower deal with that?
Planeoho is offline Find More Posts by Planeoho
Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeoho View Post
Kinda like the relationship between Futaba and Tatic/anylink? How does Tower deal with that?
So far Tactic doesn't have any systems that are on par with a 8FG, 12FG, 12Z, 14MZ, or 18MZ

Additionally, Tower/HOBBICO do not Own Tactic....

they want to sell what their customers buy ... so the incentive might be different....
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Oquawka Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
354 Posts
[QUOTE=Mithrandir

they want to sell what their customers buy ... so the incentive might be different....[/QUOTE]

So not so different then HH/Spektrum and JR, they want to sell what their customers buy.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by gmilo
Alamo, CA USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,310 Posts
I have a JR 12X on DSM2 (never upgraded to DSMX as I don't go to large 'Nall-esque' events and my DSM2 systems have been bulletproof for 3 years of use so couldn't find a reason to upgrade). I have 15 airplanes (3 40%er's, 1 30%er, 5 90 size electric planes, 1 EDF Jet and 5 BNF planes).

I know that DSMX, DMSS and/or telemetry will not make me a better pilot (OR will enable me to enjoy my hobby more than I do right now) relative to DSMM or FASST. That happens in the connection between the eyes, brain and thumbs, not the RF link. So, I am in no rush to make a change for the sake of making a change. I do see benefits of telemetry wtih TX vibration or audio alerts for 'danger/warning' situations - ie. low bat voltage, etc, but I am in no pressing need to add this capability per my comments above.

So, I see 3 options for me going forward .........

1) Keep my 12X for all of my planes and eventually upgrade to DSMX if a compelling reason exists and just keep going with / adding Spectrum DSM2 or DSMX receivers as needed. Question for someone from HH. Do you know how long HH will still offer service and upgrades to the JR 12X for DSM2/DSMX?

2) Keep my 12X on DSM2 for my BNF planes/small electrics and upgrade to DSMX if there is a compelling reason - Does anybody from HH know conclusively if and for how long a DSM2 Transmitter can be upgraded to DSMX? And eventually, buy a Spectrum DX18 Transmitter for my DSM2/DSMX receiver equipped planes.

3) Keep my 12X on DSM2 for my BNF planes/small electrics and upgrade to DSMX if there is a compelling reason. Evaluate Futaba for my big gassers if the JR 12X on DSM2 or DSMX at some point is no longer supported in service/SW by HH or JR.

Any thoughts/recommendations on the above?

I am disappointed that my 3 year old JR 12X is not the 'latest and greatest gadget', but this is normal with technology development. HH and JR are certainly creating more confusion than Futaba that has been FASST from day 1. But, if I went with a Futaba 14MZ instead of my JR 12X, I'd be in the same 'don't have the latest and greatest gadget' boat with the launch of the Futaba 18MZ.

At the end of the day, its a hobby for me and I just want to have fun and keep developing/improving my flying skills and considering DSM2, DSMX, DSMM, FASST all have similar latency from control stick input to control surface movement, I just don't see this being a big issue for me....

Greg
gmilo is offline Find More Posts by gmilo
Last edited by gmilo; 04-16-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Oquawka Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmilo View Post
I have a JR 12X on DSM2 (never upgraded to DSMX as I don't go to large 'Nall-esque' events and my DSM2 systems have been bulletproof for 3 years of use so couldn't find a reason to upgrade). I have 15 airplanes (3 40%er's, 1 30%er, 6 90 size electric planes and 5 BNF planes).

I know that DSMX, DMSS and/or telemetry will not make me a better pilot (OR will enable me to enjoy my hobby more than I do right now). That happens in the connection between the eyes, brain and thumbs, not the RF link. So, I am in no rush to make a change for the sake of making a change. I do see benefits of telemetry wtih TX vibration or audio alerts for 'danger/warning' situations - ie. low bat voltage, etc, but I am in no pressing need to add this capability per my comments above.

So, I see 3 options for me going forward .........

1) Keep my 12X for all of my planes and eventually upgrade to DSMX if a compelling reason exists and just keep going with / adding Spectrum DSM2 or DSMX receivers as needed. Question for someone from HH. Do you know how long HH will still offer service and upgrades to the JR 12X for DSM2/DSMX?

2) Keep my 12X on DSM2 for my BNF planes/small electrics and upgrade to DSMX if there is a compelling reason - Does anybody from HH know conclusively if and for how long a DSM2 Transmitter can be upgraded to DSMX? And eventually, buy a Spectrum DX18 Transmitter for my DSM2/DSMX receiver equipped planes.

3) Keep my 12X on DSM2 for my BNF planes/small electrics and upgrade to DSMX if there is a compelling reason. Evaluate Futaba for my big gassers if the JR 12X on DSM2 or DSMX at some point is no longer supported in service/SW by HH or JR.

Any thoughts/recommendations on the above?

I am disappointed that my 3 year old JR 12X is not the 'latest and greatest gadget', but this is normal with technology development. HH and JR are certainly creating more confusion than Futaba that has been FASS from day 1. But, if I went with a Futaba 14MZ instead of my JR 12X, I'd be in the same 'don't have the latest and greatest gadget' boat with the launch of the Futaba 18MZ.

At the end of the day, its a hobby for me and I just want to have fun and keep developing/improving my flying skills...

Greg
WOW, a respectable healthy attitude!!!!

Well said

I won't presume to tell you what to do, but I'll keep flying my 9303 2.4 DSM2 for a long time and if I feel the need to fly in larger more megga events, I'll buy a DX8 or DX18 on DSMX.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Joined Jan 2006
1,835 Posts
Quote:
...Question for someone from HH. Do you know how long HH will still offer service and upgrades to the JR 12X for DSM2/DSMX?...
We still service the PCM 10, if that is any idication.

Quote:
...Does anybody from HH know conclusively if and for how long a DSM2 Transmitter can be upgraded to DSMX? And eventually, buy a Spectrum DX18 Transmitter for my DSM2/DSMX receiver equipped planes?...
So far as I know, there wasn't any time limit set on when you could get an add-on. The parts to perform the process are parts that we keep in the service center to replace if someone sends a transmitter in for service. In fact, I just had the add-on done to a 12X last Tuesday.
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by gmilo
Alamo, CA USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,310 Posts
Thanks Ryan.
gmilo is offline Find More Posts by gmilo
Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
OK, I've got a really stupid question....everyone is crying how their new 11X is out of date.....am I the only one that has been buying Spectrum power safe RX's instead of JR's because they are in the range of $30 cheaper?? Is Spectrum also going to change, or just JR??? If JR changes and Spectrum stays the same, buy a Spectrum RX, save some coin and go flying......No????

JR: http://www.advantagehobby.com/?cat=4...ne_brandid=128
Spectrum: http://www.advantagehobby.com/?cat=4...ne_brandid=253
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom

Quick Reply