Old 01-27-2006, 05:20 AM
Find More Posts by RustyTumbles
Time for something New......
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts
World Models 27% Ultimate Bipe Build..

Hey guys,

I'm about to start putting my new World Models 27% Ultimate together and I thought I'd take a little extra time and do a build thread on it. This will be my first bipe so I'll be going slow to insure it goes together right, so your imputs will be greatly appreceiated. This will also be my main IMAC plane since I'm starting IMAC this year...

I'm am planning on using DA50 with slimline pitts for power, lipo batts and hitec 645MG's on ailerons and hitec 5945MG's on everything else except the throttle which will be a standard hitec. I'll post a few pics tomorrow of all the bits after I inpect them all..
RustyTumbles is offline Find More Posts by RustyTumbles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-27-2006, 06:08 AM
Find More Posts by marpman
Joined Jan 2006
197 Posts
Re: World Models 27% Ultimate Bipe Build..

Rusty,
You should use a digital on the throttle as it will centre much better than a standard servo. I have been using a JR 811 Digital servo on throttle and I have never had problems with the idle settings
marpman is offline Find More Posts by marpman
Old 01-27-2006, 06:14 AM
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

Thats not a bad idea mate, thanks... I don't know alot about JR servos but I'll have a look around.. What would be the hitec equivelent??
Old 01-27-2006, 06:54 AM
Find More Posts by rcdart
Would be, if I could be
QLD Australia
Joined Jan 2006
4,186 Posts

Have to agree with Pete, I put a JR811 on the throtle of my Yak, and the idle is heaps more consistant than on my extra which has an analog on it. Dont worry about having a mix of JR and Hitec in the plane either, there is no issue with it and the 811 is a well priced servo and does a good job.

Mick
rcdart is offline Find More Posts by rcdart
Old 01-28-2006, 01:58 AM
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

Ok, JR 811 for the throttle. Thanks, I wouldn't have thought it would make a big difference but I'll give it a whirl.

I have taken some pics but I can't upload them yet because my computer had a spaz and I've spent this arvo doing a full system restore on it.

I did however manage to have a good look over the fuse and tail sections of the ultimate, and the first impressions are good. The covering is excellent, with very little wrinkles in it. Which amazed me because its be so hot and humid here lately. Some glue joints look a little dry so I will get some thin zap and go over them to make sure everything is glued well. The fuse sides below the canopy opening seem abit weak so I will glue in some ply stringers to re-inforce them. Other than that it all seem well built and in excellent condition.

Thats all I.ve got for now but I'll post some pics asap....
Old 01-28-2006, 04:17 AM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

I've always wanted a Bi-plane.. Been thinking of buying my neighbors 1.20 size DP Ultimate.. Looking forward to watching you build your plane.
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang
Old 01-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Find More Posts by Biff
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,223 Posts

Rusty Tumbles going with a build,,should be awesome!! Looking forward to it. Any thoughts of letting Towball do the graphics??!!
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Old 01-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff
Rusty Tumbles going with a build,,should be awesome!! Looking forward to it. Any thoughts of letting Towball do the graphics??!!
HAHAHA Not a bad idea but I'm not sure I want a pic of me in suspenders on the tail....???????
Old 01-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

Here's a few pics of the kit as it comes out of the box.

Packaging is good with no signs of damage to the model....
Old 01-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

Heres a few more out of the wrapping...

The colours between the fuse and the cowl is slightly off. The camera flash makes it look worse than it actually is. There are a few dry looking joints inside the fuse so I will be going over most of them with some thin CA just to make sure they are fully bonded.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

few more
Old 01-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

I started construction with the wings, as per the book. First up is hinging of the ailerons. Which brings me to my first modification. I am replacing the metal hinges that come in the kit with robart hinge points. This is nothing against the ones that are supplied, as they are good quality metal hinges. Its more of a weight saving and long term wear factor I have in mind. I've found that over time the metal hinges wear and begin to slop around which could cause flutter. I think you would be very hard pressed to wear out a robart hinge no matter how much flying you do. So thats what I'm going with.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:23 AM
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

Well I've got 3 out of the 4 ailerons hinged now. I was goin' to do more work on it today but it's been to hot to be in the workshop. I hoping to get some more done tonight once it cools down a bit. I've ordered the radio gear which is as follows:

ailerons - hitec 645MG
elevator - hitec 5945MG
rudder - hitec 5945MG
throttle - JR DS811
RX - JR R900 SPCM

Batteries I'm still undecided on at the moment. Not sure if I want to run NimH or lipo's. I've never used lipo's so I'm not confident with them yet....
Old 01-30-2006, 04:02 AM
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

Well it has cooled down enough for me to get into the workshop for a while. I now have all the ailerons hinged and the servo holes cut out. Next I'll be moving onto the fuse and tail feathers. I will post more pics soon..

Is anyone out there building, or has built one of these?? If so I'd love to hear so tips or tricks for along the way, as well as your setups and all up weights.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:45 AM
Find More Posts by marpman
Joined Jan 2006
197 Posts

Rusty
NOTE: When you start installing the 4 vertical ply mounting points that go through the top of the fuselage to support the top wing Cabane.
In the manual they say to use bolts and lock nuts that are supplied. I thought this was a crazy way to bolt the 4 ply mounts to the side rails of the engine box.
What I did was mount them first outside of the plane with 3mm Allen head bolts and blind nuts which makes it much easier to install later as there is no room inside the front of that fuselage to tighten up those bolts.
Unbolt the 4 plates before installing them in the fuselage.
Also you can epoxy the plates to the sides when you bolt the 4 posts on to the sides of the engine box, which would make for a stronger joint.

Also there are braces which are laser cut ply that go between the formers in the front of the fuse and the second front former. There are 4 short ones that are mounted at the front and 4 long ones that go behind the second fuselage former. The 4 short plates needed sanding to fit, the 4 long braces in my kit were too short by 2" I don't know what they were doing when they cut them, yet another problem with this kit.

Just something you may want to think about as you setup the front that plane
marpman is offline Find More Posts by marpman

Quick Reply