logo
Old 05-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by marsder
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverleyFlyer View Post
I have neve used orange recivers I was talking out others using them.
I have never had a problem with setup and yes I did have a problem using 4.8v and even 6v nicads.
Yeah it dose happen and there is a way to try and prevent this from happening.
It's due to voltage drop caused by operating multiple digital servos at the same time this at times can cause a voltage drop even for a split second lower than the minimum voltage the rx can handle causing the rx to shut down mainly happens with nicads.
You can test the amount of voltage drop by placing a voltmeter between the battery and rx and operating the sticks and watching the volt meter.
It just sow happens that futaba rx's can operate at a lover voltage then the jr /spek ones can.
So your setup caused the problem.
marsder is offline Find More Posts by marsder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts
aussiesteve is offline Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
I've got a Holden (GM) ute, a Ford (Transit Van), A Jeep (Grand Cherokee) a VW (Touareg), a Ford (Falcon) , 2 x Toyota's (Landcruisers) a couple of Kawasakis (4 & 2 wheeled varieties), a couple of Hondas (Ag and Road bikes), a Victa Lawnmower, a Cox Lawnmower, Stihl, Echo and Husqvarna garden equipment.

I also have futaba, jr & hitec radios (Only use the futaba and the jr nowadays though as the hitec is 36MHz).

Aaaarrrrggggghhhhh - who "forkin" cares? They all work

(ok - I just wanted to be included in this thread - haven't visited it for a while I call it "Blethering")
+1 Yep they all work, properly set up, but there be lemons in every lot.

And hi again aussiesteve!
MaceH is offline Find More Posts by MaceH
Old 05-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by dooinit
I am bad-ass
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Jul 2010
2,134 Posts
with my simple thinking, the more satellites, the better the reception. This is probably the worst place to research a radio. If my memmory is correct, Spektrum developed the 2.4 technology the others copied, thats why i went with them, and have never had an issue. Futaba has a sweet looking radio, and if i wasnt happy with my 11x, i would probably try one out. Seems like its always futaba people bashing spektrum though. Good luck choosing, they are all great, the new Jeti radio looks pretty b.a. too!
dooinit is offline Find More Posts by dooinit
Old 05-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooinit View Post
with my simple thinking, the more satellites, the better the reception. This is probably the worst place to research a radio.
Me likes whiskers. More whiskers more signal. Cuz my cats say so.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by dooinit
I am bad-ass
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Jul 2010
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceH View Post
Me likes whiskers. More whiskers more signal. Cuz my cats say so.
I dont care if thats sarcasm or not, thats funny!
dooinit is offline Find More Posts by dooinit
Old 05-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
I dont care if thats sarcasm or not, thats funny!
Seriously, the more satellites the better. Be sure to follow the satellite installation directions!!! Most setups are blown here methinks.

I don't know why just two antennae on a Futaba works either but it does. Allegedly.

So, only PROOF that more satellites is better I can offer is that my cats agree with me. Helps that I feed them, and they know it!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Find More Posts by marsder
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
How many poor setups have caused crashes and then people blame the technology.
marsder is offline Find More Posts by marsder
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by Extra nuts
Extra Extras, I'm all about it
United States, UT, St George
Joined Apr 2007
2,537 Posts
Most of them! I've used them all, Fut, JR, Hitec, Spek, Airt, Tactic, etc, and never had a problem with any of them. There are so many ways even a close but barley inadequate setup can cause electrical component failurefrom heat exposesure from sun and engine heat to improper power for components to excessive currant draw through inadequate conectors etc etc, and so on. I know can be difficult to get good advice but I think knowledge through extensive and constant research is still the best way to find comfort in a setup when choosing components.
Extra nuts is offline Find More Posts by Extra nuts
Old 05-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by rudderdown
United States, OH, Chesterland
Joined Mar 2006
74 Posts
Quote:
with my simple thinking, the more satellites, the better the reception. This is probably the worst place to research a radio. If my memmory is correct, Spektrum developed the 2.4 technology the others copied, thats why i went with them, and have never had an issue. Futaba has a sweet looking radio, and if i wasnt happy with my 11x, i would probably try one out. Seems like its always futaba people bashing spektrum though. Good luck choosing, they are all great, the new Jeti radio looks pretty b.a. too!
If Spektrum developed 2.4 I would be surprised. Why did they have to come out with X technology? A mistake in technology. Having said that.... they have rectified the problem and all manufactures that matter use the same 2.4 technology. The same as the old 2.4 cordless phone we used to buy for our houses.
rudderdown is offline Find More Posts by rudderdown
Old 05-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudderdown View Post
If Spektrum developed 2.4 I would be surprised. Why did they have to come out with X technology? A mistake in technology. Having said that.... they have rectified the problem and all manufactures that matter use the same 2.4 technology. The same as the old 2.4 cordless phone we used to buy for our houses.
They did develop it and with anything, improvements are always something considered.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 05-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Seems like its always futaba people bashing spektrum though.
Ok, All joking aside, there is actually a sound reason for that. It is because a LOT of people changed brands after having Spek / JR Lockouts a while back. I was one of those people. However, I now go to the field with my JR 12X and my Futaba (14 MZ and/or 18MZ) depending on what I am flying. I have some "close in" planes that I use the JR on with up to date Rx's (High voltage) fed by Lipos with no regulators involved.

Futaba has been using 2.4GHz technology for decades in critical Industrial applications, they have had it sorted for years. Jr / Spek went through a LOt of teething problems, I think they are probably pretty much sorted now though.

Hi MaceH
I was talking to my (Rag Doll) Cat this morning - she said MIAOW.
I tried it through the varous on-line translators and I am pretty sure it translates to

"F--- Off and go get me some different food then standby until I am ready for you to do as I wish - and hurry up about it - Servant"
Old 05-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Find More Posts by Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport
United States, AR, Maumelle
Joined Oct 2011
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
Ok,

I was talking to my (Rag Doll) Cat this morning - she said MIAOW.
I tried it through the varous on-line translators and I am pretty sure it translates to

"F--- Off and go get me some different food then standby until I am ready for you to do as I wish - and hurry up about it - Servant"
From the feline's perspective that makes perfect sense.

Steve have you used the sbus feature for control surfaces yet? If so, how does the amp draw differ from the conventional method. It would seem that since you use one circuit to handle 3 servos instead of three you would triple the load on that one circuit. Since power distribution devices like smartfly are used to handle the load or increase channels I would be concerned that the sbus might be over taxed on larger scale aircraft. Thought about maybe trying it on my next big plane but I cant find any threads on this subject.
Mikeq is offline Find More Posts by Mikeq
Last edited by Mikeq; 05-28-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeq View Post
From the feline's perspective that makes perfect sense.

Steve have you used the sbus feature for control surfaces yet? If so, how does the amp draw differ from the conventional method. It would seem that since you use one circuit to handle 3 servos instead of three you would triple the load on that one circuit. Since power distribution devices like smartfly are used to handle the load or increase channels I would be concerned that the sbus might be over taxed on larger scale aircraft. Thought about maybe trying it on my next big plane but I cant find any threads on this subject.
I have used S-Bus in a few applications but with different hubs.

On my 42 & 50 %'ers, I use the Robbe PSS 2018 powerboard. I am not sure if you can get those in the USA though. For a 50%'er With the Robbe board, I have 4 cables exiting it. They are fairly thick cables (I think they are AWG 18 but am not certain of that). Two cables go to each wing (3 servos per wing on the 50%'ers) and two go to the rear of the aircraft (Each one has 2 Rudder servos and 2 elevator servos on it - I use the SWB self adjusting servo trays so that if a rudder servo fails the others will still work the rudder). The throttle, Choke and Engine kills all come from the front of the board directly. This way, the maximum servos on one cable is 4 with very rare occassions that all 4 will be under full load at any time. The wing servos (3 per cable) are very lightly loaded in fact.

On the 50cc and the F3A planes I have set up, I used the Robbe 4.1 hub and there is only a maximum of 2 servos per cable on those planes.

Using the Robbe hubs etc, I save about $500 and just a tad under 1kg (2 lbs) on a 50%'er compared to using something like a Smartfly EQ10 or Powerbox Royal setup with good heavy duty extensions etc when comparing the total cost of the items and based on the prices we pay here. that basis also compares S-Bus servos with top end JR, Hitec or Futaba servos.

The price that I pay to use S-bus is a little extra time programming the servos individually (Admittedly, this takes less time when using the 18MZ directly than it did using the Laptop and CUI2 programmer) and being locked into the price of "top end" futaba servos.

The benefits are not ever having to worry about which plug goes into which servo ever again.

Some will say that S-Bus gives you better resolution, centering etc but there are similarly priced non S-Bus servos that will give identical performance as the S-Bus servos give.

My honest opinion on S-bus is that without the Robbe "accessories", it probably doesn't give much (if any) of an advantage unless you have a LOT of lightly loaded servos in a wing (such as some warbirds and some gliders) and don't wish to mess with making sure multiple plugs get properly connected. Even then with a little care, plugs can be changed to lessen that risk. Before the days of powerboards etc, I used to solder a Deans plug for my power supply (direct from the battery / switch) so that all servos used a heavy common power supply and I used connectors from the computer industry to connect the signal wires. This was pretty common once upon a time.

http://www.perthrc.com.au/radios-and...futaba-en.html
Old 05-29-2013, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport
United States, AR, Maumelle
Joined Oct 2011
2,253 Posts
You are right I looked and can't find anyone who sells Robbe products here in the US. It's sad considering its simplicity and dedicated channel servo link eliminating human error. When I first saw the sbus enter the market here I thought it would be a big hit and everyone would jump on the bandwagon. Maybe it will eventually catch on especially if a company like Robbe enters the market here and makes sbus more compatible with larger aircraft. Thanks for the reply.
Mikeq is offline Find More Posts by Mikeq

Quick Reply