logo
Old 12-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Re: Which Smart Fly to use?

Hi,
If you use two Fromeco regulators (which are good by the way) you will have unequal battery drain, its impossible to match them perfectly unless you also use a Wolverine switch. I would recommend you look at the SuperReg or TurboReg.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by dartvidar
Joined Mar 2011
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvelez View Post
I am building an AEOROTECH Extra 300 35%. Power will be a DA 100L. Radio is a Futaba 12Z with R6014 receiver. What would be the best recomendation for a Smart Fly power management system?
Im also in the same situation, and Im confused with what equipment to buy.
Im building an Aeroworks Extra 35% with DA-120 engine, and I will use Futaba 12Z radio 12.4GHZ.

I was first thinking about the smart-fly flight pack 11.
Then I see many peoples on the forum talking about competition 12.
What is the difference between Smart-fly EQ10 and Competition 12? Im not sure which to buy, which model will benefit me most on my 35%?
I have not decided yet but im thinking about maybe use dual receiver, will both this system work with dual receiver?

Why is competition 12 not sold as a package, similar to flight pack 11? Is the turboreg not necessary with competition 12?

I want a redundant system with two batteries, so failure of one battery will not lead to a crash. I want to have electrical ignition cut off, so the engine can be stop if servo or links get stuck. I will prefer that the same redundant batteries will feed my ignition. is it any cons with this compare to have extra battery?

If I install a TurboReg before Power expander EQ10 or Comp 12 is it then not necessary with switch before reg, and can I install failsafe switch on all the options?
I have not decided what type batteries to use.

I hope I can get some inputs what electrical equipment to buy, to get the best redundant system for my airplane.
dartvidar is offline Find More Posts by dartvidar
Old 07-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartvidar View Post
Im also in the same situation, and Im confused with what equipment to buy.
Im building an Aeroworks Extra 35% with DA-120 engine, and I will use Futaba 12Z radio 12.4GHZ.

I was first thinking about the smart-fly flight pack 11.
Then I see many peoples on the forum talking about competition 12.
What is the difference between Smart-fly EQ10 and Competition 12? Im not sure which to buy, which model will benefit me most on my 35%?
I have not decided yet but im thinking about maybe use dual receiver, will both this system work with dual receiver?

Why is competition 12 not sold as a package, similar to flight pack 11? Is the turboreg not necessary with competition 12?

I want a redundant system with two batteries, so failure of one battery will not lead to a crash. I want to have electrical ignition cut off, so the engine can be stop if servo or links get stuck. I will prefer that the same redundant batteries will feed my ignition. is it any cons with this compare to have extra battery?

If I install a TurboReg before Power expander EQ10 or Comp 12 is it then not necessary with switch before reg, and can I install failsafe switch on all the options?
I have not decided what type batteries to use.

I hope I can get some inputs what electrical equipment to buy, to get the best redundant system for my airplane.

since you are using the 12z, you do not need the extra programmability of the EQ series of smart fly boards.

All you need is the competition 12 PLUS.

If you are going to run A123's as your power source, then you do not need the regulator version such as the competiton 12 turbo. There is no need to regulate A123's down for your servo's.

The comp 12's as with many of the SF boards, each have a built in receiver regulator that provides 2 amps @ 5v dedicated to the receiver only. Bat share built in, servo line matching, full signal buffering in and out. Servo signal voltage booster, etc

Truly a nicely equipped board those comp 12's.

I run three of these in different planes.

One has dual A123's going through the Smart Fly HD switches (2 of them) and the other two boards are using the fail safe pin switch. I have no preference over using two smart fly HD switches or pin switches...its just stuff I already had as spares.

So here is my recommendation for a single receiver setup.

Competition 12 PLUS
The Superswitch HD two pack
Dual 2300mAh A123's for your main electronics power
Single 2300m A123 for your ignition power. DA ignitions are 100% compatible with the voltage an A123 supplies when under load, ie 6.6v
A single superswitch HD for your ignition external power kill if you want to go that route. I used an MPI switch that has the three segment LED readout so I can visually see what my voltage is. Just a personal preference.

If you use the superswitch HD's, then you would plug your batteries into the switch and then the other output of the switch directly into the competition 12.

For your batteries, have a look at the Taildraggerrc.com or EPbuddy 2300mah A123 packs. Great prices and they both use genuine A123 cells.

If you elect to use the "Fail Safe" Pin switch, then you can plug your A123's directly into the competition 12.
Just remember to unplug them if you are going to leave the plane sitting for a long time. The pin switch system draws a very tiny amount of mAh out of the pack. very very small amount, but it would add up if sitting for a month or so.

There are many on here that are quite versed in all things smart fly and I'l also glad to help.
The guys over at Smart fly are awesome and will answer all the questions you may have as well.
These guys (SF) really provide great service to our hobby. They are always dontating product to IMAC contests and things like that and I will continue to give them my business
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Last edited by Cryhavoc38; 07-26-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply