logo
Old 02-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
FG takes a look at the Southeast Engines XYZ 50ccHP

Ron from Southeast Engines is a new sponsor here on FG, and he asked if we would take one of his new engines the XYZ 50cc HP and give it a through going over.
He sent me a test engine, and away we go!

The airframe we will be testing this motor on is the Great Planes Giant Scale reactor. A very nice choice for light weight 3D fun. The plane had a DL-50 on it, and that motor pulled it around with authority so we have a decent bench mark to compare this motor to.

Let's take a look at close look at the XYZ 50cc HP.

Packaging:

The motor is shipped in a double box. The outside box protects the internal box. The internal box is filled with your standard ice chest Styrofoam and does a GREAT job of protecting the motor. The package contains the motor, 2.5' standoff's, spark plug, spark plug wrench, mounting bolts, muffler, gasket, ignition, and detailed instructions for operation.

Also included stapled to the instructions is a Quality Control check list that is signed and dated.
It is a nice touch, and makes you feel confidant that your are getting a motor that is ready to fire.

First Impressions:

After unpacking the motor I took a bunch of pictures and forwarded them to FG Staff member Kiwi, I called him and we discussed the pictures for quite some time. Here is our thoughts.

This motor in no way looks like a copy from any one else. The rear carb rotary valve has a lot of benefits over reed valves in some ways, and in this configuration , motors like this have been known to produce a little more horsepower as well as a little more torque. The beauty of the rotary valve for those gear-heads who want more from less is that you can tweek it quite a bit if you know what your doing.

The Walbro carb placement is optimal for both the throttle linkage but more so for the ease of access to the needles when it comes to tuning. (They are right at the top, very easy to get to)

The casting quality on this engine is really nice. The crankcase looks flawless and without stripping the motor down to see the thickness of the webs and casing its hard to tell but from a presentation point of view this is a pretty nice engine.

The RCEXL ignition that comes standard with this motor is as good as it gets.

The only thing that I see could be slightly improved would be for Southeast to figure out how to include a nice throttle arm and possibly a choke arm. This is an easy fix with an old Hitec servo arm, but it would be a nice to have this included. (Ron is looking into this, and may have something figured out soon)

Installation:

I pulled the DL off of the Reactor , and mounted this engine right up. The mounting holes are the same. This is good.
BUT watch the length, this motor is a little longer than the DL so your going to want to take a few measurements before bolting this motor up. I was able to remove the 1/2" aluminum washers I had behind the DL's standoffs, and it put this motor right at the perfect size to fit the cowl. The throttle linkage was exactly opposite from what a DA/DL uses so a little reworking was required there. Again, nothing a little planning can't fix.

FIRST RUN:

I have attached a video below of the first run. I did flip the prop and rock it back and forth several times before starting the video to get fuel into the lines and up to the carb, but that is it.
The motor started on the 5th ot 6th flip. The motor immediately settled into a nice idle and ran strong.
I tached the motor at just under 6700 RPM's on a Vess 22B prop. Fairly impressive for a first run!
As the weather permits I will get the plane into the air, and return with some performance notes.
right now, this motor looks to be a great deal. Check back... MORE TO COME.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Last edited by SleepyC; 02-11-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Find More Posts by DEVZAK9
Crashen em and Bashen em
Trying to fly this dang yak
Joined Nov 2006
4,389 Posts
Re: FG takes a look at the Southeast Engines XYZ 50ccHP

Looks kinda like my new DL 50
DEVZAK9 is offline Find More Posts by DEVZAK9
Old 02-11-2009, 03:47 PM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVZAK9 View Post
Looks kinda like my new DL 50
Well not really, this does not have a reed cage it has a rear carb rotary valve.
BIG difference.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by heligrom
NY, USA
Joined Jan 2007
890 Posts

Looks/sounds good sleepy. keep us posted and post up some vid of it flying (mostly cause i wanna see your reactor fly, but partially cause i wanna see how that engine hauls a GS around)
heligrom is offline Find More Posts by heligrom
Old 02-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by alfycat
TARECOS AeroClub
Costa Rica
Joined Apr 2007
1,020 Posts

Nice job Sleepy! I was waiting for this report cause 2 of my flying buddies and I were planning to buy this engine (one for each)
Tell us about the breakin process and how it responds.
I want to see that flying!!
alfycat is offline Find More Posts by alfycat
Last edited by alfycat; 02-11-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by DEVZAK9
Crashen em and Bashen em
Trying to fly this dang yak
Joined Nov 2006
4,389 Posts

I couldnt really see the carb and the back good the pic wouldnt come up.I was going from the crank case
DEVZAK9 is offline Find More Posts by DEVZAK9
Old 02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by wiz310
Joined Dec 2006
360 Posts

Niiiice. I have been looking at this engine with a view to putting it into my 1/3 Christen Eagle. have almost been ready to pull the trigger a few times, but have been waiting for some sort of report. My only real concern with it after looking at the pictures, is that the mounting tags are cast into the case and do not look all that substantial. Other than that, it looks like a contender for the rapidly growing 50cc market. I would guess there will be a hundy on the drawing board now they have cylinders, Pistons and rods.
(I noticed when you told the camera to pan right...... you meant his other right )
wiz310 is offline Find More Posts by wiz310
Last edited by wiz310; 02-11-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by Big A
United States, TN, Chattanooga
Joined Dec 2006
1,786 Posts

I am looking forward to seeing the engine run.
I talked to Ron today and told him I would like to pick one up at the Jacksonville fly-in at the end of February. I am picking up an EF yak in Jacksonville and I’m going to put a JMB canister on it and try to ring the engine out etc.
Keep the info coming!

Big A
Big A is offline Find More Posts by Big A
Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by Big A
United States, TN, Chattanooga
Joined Dec 2006
1,786 Posts

Sleepy
What prop are you going to run for breaking the engine in?
Big A is offline Find More Posts by Big A
Old 02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Sleepy and crew. This is the motor I'm using on my build thread plane. If you didn't see the thread here it is.
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...nes-build.html
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang
Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by blackbeer
Joined Nov 2007
1,244 Posts

Well I've already pulled the trigger on this engine and it should be in my hands tomorrow. It will be my first gas engine and the one thing I have noticed so far is the difference in rpm's out of the box. Al in his thread was getting 6900 after a few tanks on a Vess 22a, your getting just under 6700 on a Vess 22b and a friend of mine was only getting 6100 on a PAU 22 3D. That PAU prop is a lot of wood for a 22 inch prop and I thought it might be a bit much for breakin. Oh and stang was getting 6400 on his and I forget what prop he is using. Is this normal to have such a spread in this area or what? I already know I will like the engine but I have had to reajust my thoughts on airframe choice. I'm thinking sub 16 pounds now to have the kind of power to weight ration I want. Am I wrong..........................?

Tom
blackbeer is offline Find More Posts by blackbeer
Old 02-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Well I can tell you this much. My DL was swinging the same prop at about the same rpm's when new. Now I have only a tank and a half through mine. So I'm not expecting it to max out yet. But the transition and easy starting takes the cake. I mean it started and transitioned out of the box next to perfect. NO BURRBLE! I'm using a Vess 22B.
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang
Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by blackbeer
Joined Nov 2007
1,244 Posts

You answered the question I didn't want to ask Stang, thanks. I've been following your thread with interest for sure. It's so hard to make the right choice when it comes to engines. It sure helps when you guys dig your teeth into the new ones. I rely on the info here to try and choose carefully. I was going to say wisely but I can't for the life of me remember how to spell it.

Tom
blackbeer is offline Find More Posts by blackbeer
Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

For those of you concerned about the cast mounting ears, the new engines have fully machined cases. BTW Mounting ears are never a problem unless you put one in the ground. LOL As for the difference in the rpms, it can differ widely with props, altitude, fuel mix, and tuning so I wouldn't concern your self with that. Great job Sleepy!!! I'll look forward to your future observations!
Al Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Last edited by Al Lewis; 02-11-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:20 PM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

I will make sure I log every run with rpm.
And log each flight, to see if I get rpm changes as it runs in.
I'm starting with lawnboy ashless at 40:1 and will probably go to Penzoil at 50:1 after a few gallons.

The weather is turning crappy once again here in Ohio..
but I have mounted the cowl.. and it's ready so when the weather gets nice, the plane will go airborne.

I have to be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect with this motor considering the price and all,
but Ron and the guys at Southeast have been on point and seem very interested in building a positive reputation to be around for a while.

Quick Reply