logo
Old 03-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by Dantley
Joined Feb 2007
138 Posts
Ignition battery near rx battery?

I've done my best to keep my ignition battery as far away from the rx as possible to avoid interference from the ignition. Usually I have my ignition battery mounted on the engine box and the rx batteries in the main portion of the fuse or in the tail. Lately, I have been seeing a lot of set-ups with 3 lithium batteries near each other in the fuse. 2 rx batteries and 1 ignition battery. I was under the impression that this can cause interference. Is there any truth to that?
Dantley is offline Find More Posts by Dantley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Malaysia
Joined Mar 2006
286 Posts
Re: Ignition battery near rx battery?

I have seen one setup where both the receiver and ignition pack were mounted together, and even the switches were placed side by side. The owner did not get any interference over the 15 flights or so that I watched, but I personally would not risk it, as there is always a chance of inteference occuring. It would really be up to you to decide if you wanted to risk it.
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old 03-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Find More Posts by crazyjoe
co
Joined Jan 2006
1,004 Posts

I have two receiver packs and one ignition pack all straped together at cg in my yak over 400 flights in three years never had a problem
crazyjoe is offline Find More Posts by crazyjoe
Old 03-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts

Keep everything atleast 6" away from each other(ignition and Rx related). It you have no other recourse to have the Rx and ignition packs together, then I would suggest running an Isolator.

But try to get thing spaced apart, and you'll be a happy camper!!!

Bunk~
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 03-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Ian
Find More Posts by Ian
Ian
Pro Crasherer
Cambridge, England!
Joined Apr 2006
676 Posts

how can a fairly constant current draw cause interference with another battery, again, with a fairly constant current draw? surely that's not possible?

i can understand why you don't want a RX near the ignition unit, as several 1000v is bound to create some interference, but a battery? cant understand that one!
Ian is offline Find More Posts by Ian
Old 03-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by ckoerner
Joliet,IL
Joined Jan 2006
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
how can a fairly constant current draw cause interference with another battery, again, with a fairly constant current draw? surely that's not possible?

i can understand why you don't want a RX near the ignition unit, as several 1000v is bound to create some interference, but a battery? cant understand that one!
What happens is that there is a lot of noise in an ignition system. This noise can get coupled onto the battery wires coming into the ignition. Then the battery wires act like a transmitting antenna.
ckoerner is offline Find More Posts by ckoerner
Old 03-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Ian
Find More Posts by Ian
Ian
Pro Crasherer
Cambridge, England!
Joined Apr 2006
676 Posts

ah i see

why not buy the smart fly fibre optic kill switch? be safe and remove any electrical link
Ian is offline Find More Posts by Ian
Old 03-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Find More Posts by ckoerner
Joliet,IL
Joined Jan 2006
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
ah i see

why not buy the smart fly fibre optic kill switch? be safe and remove any electrical link
That's only for remote ignition turn on/off from the receiver. It isolates the receiver channel you use for turn on/off from the ignition. You still need a battery to power the ignition.
ckoerner is offline Find More Posts by ckoerner
Old 03-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by jaguar bone
balsa, glue & gas
United States, FL, Winter Garden
Joined Jun 2006
3,044 Posts

... and then there is 2.4 Ghz. Total elimination of RC generated radio noises concerns.
jaguar bone is offline Find More Posts by jaguar bone
Old 04-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by Dantley
Joined Feb 2007
138 Posts

anyone hear about interference happening from the rx and ignition batteries being close? i am having CG issues and can resolve it by taking the ignition battery off the engine box and putting it near the rx batteries. Thoughts?
Dantley is offline Find More Posts by Dantley
Last edited by Dantley; 04-05-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by OverTemp
No Matter
Joined Jan 2006
699 Posts

I've heard of it happening... noise that it. I've had it myself... I repositioned my RX packs close to the ignition switch/battery and my engine running range checks went way down.

That being said, my unerstanding is that igntions are supposed to be well shielded. Over time this shielding can break down. As it breaks down you can get more and more RF noise generated through any ignition related wiring. If running a PCM RX you may not see this noise until it is strong enough to cause a lockout. I've always used IPD RXs... I can range check in PPM mode periodically to see if I am developing a problem.

My new solution... I'm switching everything to 2.4 GHz. You could strap your RX to the IGN and be fine.
OverTemp is offline Find More Posts by OverTemp
Old 08-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by MPCouto
Joined Feb 2007
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckoerner View Post
What happens is that there is a lot of noise in an ignition system. This noise can get coupled onto the battery wires coming into the ignition. Then the battery wires act like a transmitting antenna.
Hi guys,

I bougth a plane, it's new and never flew.
I'm worry because I read some articles about the ignition parts location, and I think the locations of ignition switch and ignition battery aren't ok. (look the schema..the plane is a Yak 86'').

I didn't perform a radio range check, before this I would like to know your opinions about this.

Thank you
MPCouto is offline Find More Posts by MPCouto
Last edited by MPCouto; 08-03-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by budchugger
United States, FL, Navarre
Joined Dec 2007
30 Posts

I also have the Duralight set up on my yak and using a JR 2.4 system and have never once had any type of interference. My 2 cents
budchugger is offline Find More Posts by budchugger
Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Find More Posts by nesikachad
Crashing sucks!
Sturgis, South Dakota
Joined Jun 2007
1,042 Posts

In my 100cc Aeroworks Yak I mounted all three batteries to the plywood access plate directly behind/on top of the firewall. I have two 4300mah redundant li-po packs and a single 2900mah redundant li-po strapped and banded together with rubber bands and foam.

I use the wonderful 2.4gig 12X JR radio and the 12 channel receiver that comes with it. I only have four flights on the bird but everything has been rock solid when it comes to the radio thus far. If there is a gremlin it has yet to surface.

Maybe I'm asking for trouble, I dunno. . . I do want the CG back a bit more so I'm planning to start moving batteries around anyway.
nesikachad is offline Find More Posts by nesikachad
Old 08-27-2009, 03:42 AM
Find More Posts by tazmanian
Stockholm , Sweden
Joined May 2009
22 Posts

Regarding to 2.4Ghz being completely immune to noise interference from the ignition, I might disagree , s friend of mine has a Spectra G gas helicopter powered by a Zenoah G230 engine ,and the radio is Futaba 2.4Ghz , and as soon as the engine starts to rev up, you can see the helicopter starting to move and hop like crazy , even though I´ve tried to separate the ignition coil and the Rx as far as it can go .
The bottom line is that 2.4Ghz is not perfect either.
I´m still trying to fix that problem
tazmanian is offline Find More Posts by tazmanian

Quick Reply