Old 04-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by hsukaria
United States, MI, Dearborn
Joined May 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
Pretty much
Dutch - I only know a very little amount of it so I use key words and hope the rest of the grammar is ok. LOL.

In high school, I learnt Italian. At the time my Father had a business where he had a LOT of Italian born customers. When they heard I was learning their language they took me under their wings and taught me to speak it the way THEY spoke it (to heck with the textbooks). I couldn't go into my Fathers business without having to converse with them. It had a dual effect. - I got to impress a VERY HOT teacher (I wonder what she looks like now though) and my Father got a lot more business from the friends and family of existing customers. That (and the very hot teacher) got me interested in learning languages. Later on, I worked for a company that took me overseas "on call, anywhere, anytime, any day of the year" 52 countries (some only for a day or two) in about 5 years. (Anyone else here work for Schlumberger in the late 70's and Early 80's? - you will know exactly what I refer to - and the days without sleep that were associated with the work in those times). I later married a Chinese lady (Hence the Mandarin skills) and so life goes on.
Yeah, my English teacher was a really hot Australian when I was in grade school. That somehow caused me to put English in the forefront of my languages.
hsukaria is offline Find More Posts by hsukaria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 AM
Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts
Well Changing back to the original subject sure quietened things down pretty fast.

Cricket Sound (0 min 5 sec)
aussiesteve is offline Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Joined May 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Well Changing back to the original subject sure quietened things down pretty fast.

Cricket Sound - YouTube
Yeah, but is that good or bad?

I would like to start hearing some good news about these engines for a change. You guys with good Mintors should also speak up. We need to hear both sides of the story.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by superstocktx
Joined Apr 2009
2,548 Posts
I don't think there is any good news to report, so it's back to the sound of crickets
superstocktx is offline Find More Posts by superstocktx
Old 04-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Joined May 2012
214 Posts
Yikes!! Ok, I am waiting for good weather so that I can start flying my M38. I will report back my results whenever that happens.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by jerrysu29
Rapid City S.D.
Joined May 2008
1,348 Posts
I have two of the 22's and they both run great!. My Mintor 38 also runs top notch,I guess I should consider myself very lucky. My 38 is turning a Vess 20A at 7200 rpm and is still gaining power. The 22's are on a couple 65" Profiles, and the Mintor 38 is in a Pilot RC 30cc Yak 54.
jerrysu29 is offline Find More Posts by jerrysu29
Old 04-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by Huffy
Doo It! Doo It!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
112 Posts
It's good to see someone get some fun and value out of these Italian pieces of shite, I have moved on.
Farewell.
Huffy is offline Find More Posts by Huffy
Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts
Last edited by aussiesteve; 05-09-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by 3DZombie
Joined Feb 2013
91 Posts
Quote:
I am on both sides of the story. I have 2 Mintor 22's. One is "good", the other is not.

The "good" one ran well right out of the box, had good compression right out of the box and ran strongly. Right now, after just over 10 hours of run time, it is losing compression and is not a crisp as it was. It wil be run until either it breaks or its performance is such that it is no longer bearable then will be replaced with something else if parts do not become available. Right now, the choices (that suit me) are either another OS 22 or an Electric setup.

The bad one - it was cr-p right out of the box with a large piston to bore clearance.

So - total price ~$600 for one good and one bad engine, I expect to get about 15 hours flying time total from that "investment" so a cost of about $40 per hour of flying or $10 per 15 min flight or ~$5.50 per actual flight (This is in a small "3D" plane and I actually only do about 8 mins per flight).

I was really hoping that Mintor would have stepped up by now but it appears not to be the case. It was in May 2012 that I paid for my first 22 and September 2012 when I paid for the second one. A year for them to sort out their production issues is an indication that they are not going to be sorted.

Such is life.
I was lookin for a couple things on Chief aircraft site and noticed they only have Mintor 60 engines on their line up. So I decided to wonder to the Top Dawg site and they too no longer have them on their site. I googled for any other dealers in the U.S and no luck. So with the little communication with customers, the unnevidable must be near. If Top Dawg is done then it just represents what a poor situation has arised. No halfway decent company will pick the engine up after this feasco they call an engine.
3DZombie is offline Find More Posts by 3DZombie
Last edited by 3DZombie; 04-10-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by Captinjohn 2
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
1,054 Posts
I am sure my Mintor22 will keep going just fine. I have a Bowman ring in it now and will use 30-1 Pennzoil for air cooled engines This is what I did for my DLE30 and it is doing fine.
Captinjohn 2 is offline Find More Posts by Captinjohn 2
Old 04-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts
Last edited by aussiesteve; 05-09-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by superstocktx
Joined Apr 2009
2,548 Posts
They could have been some good engines, if only Mintor listened to me when I told them the piston to wall clearance was way to much. Easy correction!

Guess I'll fly my M22 til it quits and then take it to the recycling center and get a couple of bucks for it. Unless someone else picks up Mintor here in the states and hope the warranty is still good.
superstocktx is offline Find More Posts by superstocktx
Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Find More Posts by Enterprise
Huckin around the Shire
United States, NH, Manchester
Joined Mar 2011
629 Posts
I flew mine 5 flights yesterday with no issues. RPM data

Falcon 17x6.5 8450
Falcon 17x7 8200
Mej 18x6 7950

I have a bowman ring in mine. I guess I just got lucky.
Enterprise is offline Find More Posts by Enterprise
Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by Captinjohn 2
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
1,054 Posts
Just as soon as we get some good weather...my Mintor22cc will be up in the air. Come on good weather...maybe Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Captinjohn 2 is offline Find More Posts by Captinjohn 2
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by karolh
Mandeville, Jamaica, West Indies
Joined Aug 2007
758 Posts
Can't wait to hear how it performs, and what plane/prop combo do you have it on. My profile is all finished and I too am just waiting for some good weather as it's much too windy just now for a maiden.

Karol
karolh is offline Find More Posts by karolh

Quick Reply