Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Airframes and Kits
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 06-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #1486
Oldhelidog
Flyin' Around

Jahatton

The youtube link didn't work. I was thinking you had a quad you wanted us to see.
Please get it working.
Oldhelidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #1487
Oldhelidog
Flyin' Around

Here is a shaky windy video of my maiden flight last Saturday. I had my 12 year old son doing the video so it wasn't someone I had to pay, and you can tell,, LOL.
I have two more gallons to run out and then I can mix the good stuff and lean her out and see what this bird will do. It's going to be a blast.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:26 AM   #1488
jahatton
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by Oldhelidog
View Post
Jahatton

The youtube link didn't work. I was thinking you had a quad you wanted us to see.
Please get it working.
Sorry about that. Look up on Youtube: Osprey Quadcopter Test Flight
jahatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:30 AM   #1489
RCToon
Uber Contributor

"P.S
One last modification. I like a fine tuned engine when ever I fly (who doesn't ) and depending on the day and the temp I have never been one to set it and leave it. I adjust the carb for the condition but it's a pain in the butt to take the prop and cowl off every time to do this.
So I am making a guide for the screw driver made out of hard wood and two pieces of brass tubing. The tubing will fit over the carb adjustment screws and spring and run just short of the engine cowling. Pop two small holes in the cowl and there you have it , no more pulling props and cowling, just drop the screw driver into the guide and adjust away without having it slip off of the set screw.
It will work out great on my setup because the screws run vertical on my carb."

Helidog, rather than using brass tubings which might vibrate on the screws why don't you use plastic drinking straws? Bring them out of the cowl, a drop of super glue and then cut them flush.
RCToon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #1490
Oldhelidog
Flyin' Around

Rctoon
No need to worry, the way my engine is mounted to the firewall the guide tubes are mounted to the firewall as well. The only way the tubing will rub is if my engine bolts loosen and then I will have larger problems.
Also, you don't want to run your tubing all the way through the cowling, nor do you want to glue anything to the cowling so you would want them just under the cowling so there is no issues with vibration. As tight as the cowling is mounted to the fusalage there is still a lot of movement caused by vibration causing undesirable issues.

It would also make it a little tricky to get my cowling on and over the guide tubes if they are sticking threw the cowling.
With my setup the cowling has to go straight on because I have internal air ducting for engine cooling that makes it tricky. I can go down a little but not up with my cowling.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #1491
RCToon
Uber Contributor

Got it.

When using plastic straws removing the cowling is not difficult as the straws are flexible. Just pull the cowl out and the straws will flex and while installing you can simple reach into the cowl and slip the straws over the tuning screws.
But it does not have the bling effect, which is also important :-)
RCToon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #1492
jahatton

Hey guys, brought my SB down from it's nesting place and gave it a wash. Then tried to get the engine to start.... been so long since the last time I finely clued in when I noticed my tach not on. Remembered I had a kill switch somewhere. Quickly found it and the engine started right away.
Will be taking it out sometime soon. Got a new radio yesterday and will have to pull the RX for a new one.
I upgraded from a Futaba 9CHPS to a Futaba 12FGA with both 2.4 and 72 band, with a 14 channel RX, 7 channel and an Orange FAAST 8. The 9C was like liquid as it can be changed in every direction... the 12FGA is like GAS!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #1493
t-moller
I'd rather be out flying

After a year in the ceiling, I finally finished mounting the cowling and took it out for its first flight. I set it up for 3D as that is my style of flying. Was a bit surprised at how responsive both the elevator and rudder was.
I could feel that there was a bit of positive up thrust, checked it when I got back home, and yes. A thin 1/32" ply under the top motor mounts and it's fixed.
Had a bit of tucking under on both sides of knife edge, nothing big most are that way with even some rolling out. Mixed some rudder to elevator and it fixed that. Harriers are a breeze with this one, can't wait to wing it out some more. Not bad for an airframe under $400.-

Moller Signs Inc.
t-moller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:28 AM   #1494
jahatton

Quote: Originally Posted by t-moller
View Post
After a year in the ceiling, I finally finished mounting the cowling and took it out for its first flight. I set it up for 3D as that is my style of flying. Was a bit surprised at how responsive both the elevator and rudder was.
I could feel that there was a bit of positive up thrust, checked it when I got back home, and yes. A thin 1/32" ply under the top motor mounts and it's fixed.
Had a bit of tucking under on both sides of knife edge, nothing big most are that way with even some rolling out. Mixed some rudder to elevator and it fixed that. Harriers are a breeze with this one, can't wait to wing it out some more. Not bad for an airframe under $400.-
Awesome! Welcome back. :-) What engine are you running and what is the weight? I'm too afraid of slow speed but that's ok. I can always come home with a straight plane. LOL
Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #1495
t-moller
I'd rather be out flying

Hi,

I'm running the DLE-55RE with a custom built Pitts muffler from Bisson.
On the weight, I'm not sure. Didn't really do any big weight saving stuff except for exchanging the main wing tube due to mine was dented and didn't fit in the wings or fuse. So I had a left over CF wing tube from my 88" Extreme Flight Extra 300, and I have a CF main gear hanging around that fit.

Running all Hitech HS7955 on all surfaces, HS5625 on throttle and std for choke.
dual Li-On 2600 mAh 7.2 volts un-regulated except for inline regulators on throttle and choke.
Std. JR 921 2.4ghz receiver with one satellite, Wolverine switch.

Wheel pants off as I broke one of the wheels last weekend as we had a 90 degree 25 mph side wind landing on asphalt.

I'll post some vids if I can get some taken.
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	655513 88.4 KB · Views: 28

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	655514 66.1 KB · Views: 25