logo
Old 01-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by Darticus
Joined Apr 2008
50 Posts
Discussion
How to do foamy rolls

I have a simulator but wondered the best way to learn doing rolls without diving into the ground. Would a Yak 30 be a good plane selection to practice with? Thanks Ron
Darticus is offline Find More Posts by Darticus
Last edited by Darticus; 01-14-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-14-2015, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by Nutball
United States, TN, Mt Juliet
Joined Jul 2014
326 Posts
What simulator, and what kind of roll? Many planes tend to start diving after a while of rolling from partially the cg being forward, and no front support in the knife edge position. If it is Phoenix, I've had trouble practicing rolling circles just because most of the foamies fly weird from the strange physics they used to make that sim, although I think v3-4 of that sim are way more realistic than realflight 6.5 or less (I have not tried higher).
Nutball is offline Find More Posts by Nutball
Old 01-15-2015, 08:07 AM
Joined Apr 2008
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutball View Post
What simulator, and what kind of roll? Many planes tend to start diving after a while of rolling from partially the cg being forward, and no front support in the knife edge position. If it is Phoenix, I've had trouble practicing rolling circles just because most of the foamies fly weird from the strange physics they used to make that sim, although I think v3-4 of that sim are way more realistic than realflight 6.5 or less (I have not tried higher).
I have the phoenix 5 and trying to do a continuous roll using the Yak 30. Thanks Ron
Old 01-15-2015, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Team Twisted!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Mar 2006
5,907 Posts
Try starting off doing slow rolls. You will have more time to react and input the necessary stick movements to obtain straight and level flight.
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old 01-15-2015, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
Ron, to get started just bump a little down elevator when the plane is inverted. This will help hold altitude during the roll. To keep the roll level or if you slow the roll rate down you will need to start adding rudder when the plane is in knife edge but for now keep the roll rate fairly quick (about 1 second per roll) and just bump in some down elevator when inverted. I would suggest you set a rate in your sim so that you can just bang the aileron stick all the way to the stop to get the required roll rate. This way you can hold the stick to the right (or left) and just concentrate on the elevator inputs. BTW, A truly axial, level and straight slow roll across the horizon is one of the hardest maneuvers to do.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 01-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
IMO, starting with a slow roll is much harder because you have to include rudder but I'm 100% self taught so my methods may be a little off track. Take it with a grain of salt!
Old 01-15-2015, 08:50 AM
Joined Apr 2008
50 Posts
Thanks all
I did get to do some knife edge and inversion yesterday on the sim. I don't know if I can set rate on the Phoenix 5. At least I know I need Rudder Elevator and aileron to do rolls. I will continue on the sim today. Thanks Ron
Old 01-15-2015, 12:00 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Damn, I thought we were talking breakfast rolls!
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 01-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Find More Posts by madinpensacola
New plane junkie
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jun 2014
2,367 Posts
You can also turn down the simulator "physics" speed if I recall. Set it to .5 speed versus 1.0 to slow it all down.
madinpensacola is offline Find More Posts by madinpensacola
Old 01-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
You can set rates on a switch in Phoenix 5. I set up a specific rate on my DX18 just for learning rolling circles. It was a while ago though and I hate using the sim so can't tell you how I did it.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by Nutball
United States, TN, Mt Juliet
Joined Jul 2014
326 Posts
I thought the simulator was great until I could fly helicopters and planes well, now it is miserable trying to practice with such poor realism compared to real life, so I'm selling mine today.
Nutball is offline Find More Posts by Nutball
Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by bruce leach
United States, NY, Haverstraw
Joined Apr 2010
113 Posts
I use Real Flight 7.5 and I think it's pretty close. A top pattern flier told me to work on slow rolls because they are the foundation for a lot of manuevers. Once you're comfortable with them you're on your way!
bruce leach is offline Find More Posts by bruce leach
Old 01-18-2015, 11:00 AM
Joined Apr 2008
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce leach View Post
I use Real Flight 7.5 and I think it's pretty close. A top pattern flier told me to work on slow rolls because they are the foundation for a lot of manuevers. Once you're comfortable with them you're on your way!
I'm trying to do rolls but on the PHOENIX 5 using a Yak 30. It is working out and can now fly accross the sky doing 4 point rolls or 180 degree rolls but don't have a smooth roll without a pause between the 180 knife edge (about 1 second). Anyone can do a roll but to manage to use rudder and aileron and elevator on one is the big problem.I hope I'll get faster and smooth out the roll to be complete 360 degrees continuous as I travel. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks Ron
Old 01-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by Bdegan
Learn 1 thing new Every Day
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darticus View Post
I'm trying to do rolls but on the PHOENIX 5 using a Yak 30. It is working out and can now fly accross the sky doing 4 point rolls or 180 degree rolls but don't have a smooth roll without a pause between the 180 knife edge (about 1 second). Anyone can do a roll but to manage to use rudder and aileron and elevator on one is the big problem.I hope I'll get faster and smooth out the roll to be complete 360 degrees continuous as I travel. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks Ron
There are no short cuts to the finish line.

You need to just put in the stick time. Practice, practice practice. Then practice some more
Bdegan is offline Find More Posts by Bdegan
Old 04-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by Low_Cal
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Dec 2009
2,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darticus View Post
The secret to doing smooth continuous rolls is to develop a stick "stir" by muscle memory. For this stir, you will be wiggling the left stick sideways, and the right stick up and down. You will need to coordinate the two sticks with each other, and with what the airplane is doing. There is one stir for left rolls, another stir for right rolls. To start the sequence out correctly, just move the two sticks in opposite directions (apply rudder opposite the roll direction). You will need to vary the timing, lead or lag, to keep the nose up and in sync with the roll rate. It all seems overwhelming and nearly impossible at first, but it gets easier with practice, so keep at it!

As suggested in the post above, start out with a roll rate that you can bang the stick to the stops. As you get more practice, you will be able to modulate a higher roll rate, rather than maxing it out.
Low_Cal is offline Find More Posts by Low_Cal

Quick Reply