Old 07-13-2015, 05:32 AM
Find More Posts by ken crane
gp factory service north east
SUNNY CAPE COD MA.
Joined Dec 2007
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigroger View Post
So when do you thing there will be a fix for the exploding gp176evo on Proflow tuned pipes?

I really want to go back to the evo version as the standard seems way down on up line torque.

Seems the latest batch of gp176evo motors just can't survive long on pipes.

Any idea Fergus?

If not, can you please refund the premium I paid for the evo so I can purchase a smaller prop for the standard gp176.

Thanks.

we are sorry to see the failure with your engines, I will however emphasize that this failure has nothing to do with the proflow smooth pipes. there are tons of people running the same setup as you guys that are running flawless including myself. Fergus is working on your issue and in fairness to Dave who has been stellar in working with you guys may want to rephrase the question to Fergus. this is a discussion forum not a place to air your issues with Fergus. we ask that you take this to an email and deal directly with him there. if you have any issues resolving the problem please feel free to contact me directly and I will be glad to help in any way I can. I have seen all the pictures and am clearly aware of the email trails as I have been copied into them.
ken crane is offline Find More Posts by ken crane
Last edited by ken crane; 07-13-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-13-2015, 06:37 AM
Find More Posts by Bigroger
Australia, NSW, Albury
Joined Jun 2012
392 Posts
Fair go Ken, what else is a person supposed to do when you get no reply from Fergus?

I know its not the fault of the pipes, its only logical, but this is all the communication I have been able to get out of Fergus on the issue.

So in what way is my question not in the spirit of a discussion?
Bigroger is offline Find More Posts by Bigroger
Old 07-13-2015, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
I know exactly what you mean mate - sometimes it takes an open forum airing of an issue to get a response out of manufactures / retailers that don't answer back
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman
Old 07-13-2015, 07:16 AM
SUNNY CAPE COD MA.
Joined Dec 2007
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Fair go Ken, what else is a person supposed to do when you get no reply from Fergus?

I know its not the fault of the pipes, its only logical, but this is all the communication I have been able to get out of Fergus on the issue.

its not at all fair to Dave. his product has nothing to do with this. be assured long before you responded I contacted furgus to get in contact with you and resolve this.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:46 AM
Find More Posts by Bigroger
Australia, NSW, Albury
Joined Jun 2012
392 Posts
I know Ken, the pipes are an awesome, fantastic product and I think it very unfair that Fergus pointed the finger in that direction. I'm recommending these pipes to many of my fellow IMAC pilots looking for more out of the other brands of engines.

More likely it is in the casting in the heads, ignition system etc, etc, but I don't know.

I have been a happy GP customer for a year now that's why I went that way for my 40% IMAC plane.

I went with what I believed was the best combination of power and performance and weight in its class, and by god for 15 flights I believe it certainly is. Far more power than what I have seen from other engines in its class even the two most popular quad engines I see in the IMAC circuit.

I would just like to see an outcome and move back on an EVO engine. I like the power and smoothness this combo provided, and as you stated above, many, many pilots are running this combo without issue, that's why I went this direction.

Its hard to practice IMAC when in my mind I am wondering with every sequence if this next one is gonna claim the engine. Wondering if what ever is plaguing the current batch of EVO's may or may not effect the standard version as well.

I think the most important thing is full discloser Ken. I almost lost my plane when my EVO failed in the air, its not fair on others if there is a possible issue to not make it public and warn other pilots.
Bigroger is offline Find More Posts by Bigroger
Old 07-13-2015, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin
TAIWAN Kaohsiung
Joined Jun 2006
697 Posts
Quote:

Our Australia service center did take care of your issue since day one and I did told you on last mail that I will take care of the price different of EVO and STD
After sometime of investigate we find that issue might be ignition and we already switch the ignition supply for prevent it happen again and that's nothing about smooth pipe
Zi-Chun Lin is offline Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin
Old 07-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by tigger52
Joined May 2012
67 Posts
Hello,
I would like to have some advice about users of GP176 EVO.
I have one with large proflow 3D canisters (rear exhaust) on a Pilot RC Sbach.
It went back from Fergus last year, after having some scratch
inside one cylinder, without any overheating trouble.
Since then, after 20 liters that sounded good (but no RPM check) I stopped using the sbach since march 2015.
Then I made some test last afternoon with a Rcexel RPM sensor on the ignition.
Whatever needle settings I had (H between 1 and 2 turns, L between 5/8 and 7/8) I couldn't have more than the following numbers:
with 3W 3D prop 31,5/14/8: 5000 RPM
with mejzlick 32/10: 5200 RPM
At the end of my tests the color of both spark plugs are "dark chocolate" and the throttle response is quite good, but I feel like top RPM aren't sufficient, whereas the temperature of each cylinders after "15 sec max load" engine stop was never above 105° celsius.
I know that this parameter isn't reliable but I use it as a comparison between several set up so as to be sure that I will not encounter overheat trouble!
I must add that my cowling was originally equipped with standard baffling and I wanted to improve it so I made a "wind box" (like the one that can be used on 4 cylinders).
I didn't checked the engine in flight, but I was just surprised to see such low RPM, compared to 5700 RPM of the original planebender video of his yak with GP176 evo and proflow canister.
Please let me know if anybody has some explanation.
Thank you!
tigger52 is offline Find More Posts by tigger52
Old 07-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Find More Posts by planebender
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jan 2006
3,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger52 View Post
Hello,
I would like to have some advice about users of GP176 EVO.
I have one with large proflow 3D canisters (rear exhaust) on a Pilot RC Sbach.
It went back from Fergus last year, after having some scratch
inside one cylinder, without any overheating trouble.
Since then, after 20 liters that sounded good (but no RPM check) I stopped using the sbach since march 2015.
Then I made some test last afternoon with a Rcexel RPM sensor on the ignition.
Whatever needle settings I had (H between 1 and 2 turns, L between 5/8 and 7/8) I couldn't have more than the following numbers:
with 3W 3D prop 31,5/14/8: 5000 RPM
with mejzlick 32/10: 5200 RPM
At the end of my tests the color of both spark plugs are "dark chocolate" and the throttle response is quite good, but I feel like top RPM aren't sufficient, whereas the temperature of each cylinders after "15 sec max load" engine stop was never above 105° celsius.
I know that this parameter isn't reliable but I use it as a comparison between several set up so as to be sure that I will not encounter overheat trouble!
I must add that my cowling was originally equipped with standard baffling and I wanted to improve it so I made a "wind box" (like the one that can be used on 4 cylinders).
I didn't checked the engine in flight, but I was just surprised to see such low RPM, compared to 5700 RPM of the original planebender video of his yak with GP176 evo and proflow canister.
Please let me know if anybody has some explanation.
Thank you!
Where are you located? Something is off as you are 700-1000 down on RPM.

Dave
planebender is offline Find More Posts by planebender
Old 07-23-2015, 01:07 AM
Joined May 2012
67 Posts
Hi,
I'm located in the north east of France, at 1000 feet and 29° celsius.
The environment is no factor in my trouble.
The problem is that I didn't tach the engine at the beginning and I can't say that there is a difference of sound between 6 months ago and now.
In flight I will feel the difference (if there is one) but right now I don't know if the engine works the same way as before.
Last edited by tigger52; 07-23-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Joined May 2012
67 Posts
I expect to perform some test in flight tomorrow and whatever can be my feeling about the power I want to understand the reason of this low RPM.
So after my test I expect to check the following elements:
- change the position of my RPM sensor
- change ignition module
- change carburator
And if everything is unsuccessfull I expect to change propeller with 30/12 or 31/10 or 31/12 so as to reach 6000 RPM... in such a case it would mean that my GP 176 EVO as turned into an old fashion DA 150 ... sad!
Old 07-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by RCEXTREMEPOWER
United States, GA, Auburn
Joined Jan 2008
1,987 Posts
The first thing I would check is the timing.

Milton
RCEXTREMEPOWER is offline Find More Posts by RCEXTREMEPOWER
Old 07-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin
TAIWAN Kaohsiung
Joined Jun 2006
697 Posts
set yor needle back to original setting
H: 1.5
L:0.75
also clean your carb. espeially that you has non fly for some times!!
Zi-Chun Lin is offline Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin
Old 07-24-2015, 06:28 AM
Joined May 2012
67 Posts
Hi,
I finally performed all the scheduled test and I must admit that I'm disappointed.
So here are my tests with mejzlick 32/10, without cowling but with the "wind box", in chronological order, and before any flight:
- needles set to original: H: 1,5 and L: 0,75
- change of position of RPM sensor from max advance to low advance, originally in mid position: result is 5000 RPM to 5200RPM
- change of ignition module with another one Rcexel: no change of RPM
- change of carburator with the same walbro (both carbs have good gaskets) and same needle settings: slitgh improvment to 5400 RPM.
All max RPM were obtained with 1/8 to 1/4 twitching around the original position of needles.

Then I performed a flight with the "best setup" at 5400 RPM and the cowling: same RPM on the ground.
I feel the lack of power compared to my previous flight 4 months ago.
I really don't know what I can test more...

I was told that the Sbach cowling may cause some trouble on engines but as my first tests were done without any cowling, and with poor result so the sbach cowling isn't the problem.
I didn't test with other small propeller as I was very disappointed and I didn't buy this GP to fly with a "low powered engine".

My next and final test will be done without the "windbox", even if I can't understand why it would be the reason.

So sad to waste my time with this, instead of flying!! Moreover with the wonderfull weather we have here right now!
Old 07-24-2015, 07:48 AM
SUNNY CAPE COD MA.
Joined Dec 2007
1,914 Posts
ok let me try and jump in. give me your complete setup including aprox weight of plane.

how many flights total on this engine ?
what fuel and oil are you using?
altitude you are at
Old 07-24-2015, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech