logo
Old 03-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by speed8
Jacksonville ,NC
Joined Jan 2006
106 Posts
Re: Carden Ultimate

Wow I'm forward to this one . I'm 18th on the list and would love to have it today. Will be finshing 40 % edge in perfect time to start the ulitmate.

Darrell Smith
speed8 is offline Find More Posts by speed8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-18-2009, 04:51 AM
Find More Posts by Danny Baker
Joined Nov 2008
197 Posts

Mr. Hammond: Yes, one servo per wing is all that will be needed for this plane. You will find that you will be running smaller arms for the airlerons on the bipes. They are basically almost 40% in fuse length, but 33% in wingspan as compared to 40% monoplane "out to out" measurements. This lets the bipes be sensitive in roll, less throw needed to get the same results, smaller arms or in a hole or two on your current arm.

If you look at the picture closely on the Carden site you will see a scale cross-section fuse on this offering. Check out the cowl line where the fuse starts and the cowl ends. The sides are tilted as they get closer to the gear, then go flat as they get back to near the hatch area. This is the same as the full scale. It allowed us to have a larger cross section on the fuse and not have it look like a pattern plane fuse. A generous cross section allows the fuse the bite the air more and help keep the plane on track when the wings are not level. see pic #1. Note the fuse cross-section. This is our cross-section at F-2, then the sides taper to square shortly behind F-2. Allows for a cool looking plane.

We also have the cowl line the same as the full scale. The real Ultimate 20-300 had a long cowl to allow the builder to put a 4 or a 6 cylinder engine up front. The factory would instruct the builder to trim the universal cowl to fit after he/she installed their engine of choice. This is why you see some long nose full scale Ultimates and some short nose ones. Naturally, you don't have to do this on the model. The firewall is set for DA or 3W 150cc. But the cowl line is correct. See pic #2. Note the cowl mounting bolt location.

Dan Baker,
Team Carden
Danny Baker is offline Find More Posts by Danny Baker
Last edited by Danny Baker; 03-18-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:17 AM
Find More Posts by sensei
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts

Wow, this is really nice guys...

Bob
sensei is offline Find More Posts by sensei
Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by Cracky
WHATS CRACKALAKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
Wow, this is really nice guys...

Bob
So Bob, what number are you?
Cracky is offline Find More Posts by Cracky
Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by crhammond
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2006
979 Posts

Danny - it's Chris, please LOL Mr Hammond makes me feel old HA HA.

This is looking REALLY nice. I love bipes but the field setup for IMAC is always such a challenge.
You sure did your homework on this one - the proportions, ease of assembly, size, weight everything seems great.

I have had a couple of bipes now and I have found all the surfaces seem more responsive not just the ailerons.

I'm looking forward to some flight reports. I'm sure you guys will/have got it just right and most of the coupling will be designed out in the testing phases. Any idea if the test pilots will be posting any feedback on the plane? I guess after this current prototype is built...
crhammond is offline Find More Posts by crhammond
Old 03-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2006
979 Posts

For the guys on the list already... is there an estimated price yet? Do you need a deposit?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Suspended Account
SanAntonio,TX
Joined Jun 2006
3,389 Posts

I emailed them to get on the list a couple days ago, site says there closed till 4/1, so hope fully more info after then.
MikeC3D is offline Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Old 03-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Joined Nov 2008
197 Posts

Chris: I'm 46, so I'm an old guy also. Those kids flying sure got it easy compared to us when we first started out, didn't they. Wish I could start all over, and be like them.

Price: It's being calculated now. The Carden owner's are on vacation til' April 1st. So I doubt that we will see any updates to the Carden site until then.

Deposit: No, none needed. Like all Carden orders. You can even take your name off the list the day Dennis calls you and says he's shipping yours. Carden makes "runs" of kits in quantities of 25 or so. They like for most of the run to be spoken for so they can ship the big boxes right out. Standard business practise. After that, they clean everything up, and start a "run" of an Edge or Extra.

All surfaces sensitive on bipes: This new 20-300 is a different bread. It's one of only a few full scale aerobats that have a longer fuse than wingspan. The model can be 10% longer in fuse still. So now we have a very long tail moment as compared to wingspan. It can only be done on the 20-300. Actually our tail is longer than any monoplane of the same wingspan (and be legal to fly in competition). The above has not been true with bipes of the past. Most are very short coupled with a fuse shorter than wingspan,making them squirly in pitch and yaw. The 20-300 is not short coupled, the tail commands should feel like or better than any 35% monoplane. Check the pic, and see how long this full scale really is. It's long.

Flight report on the prototype: If there are no changes that need to be made, yes there will be a flight report either by the test pilots or the Carden owners. It will be posted on the Carden site for all to see, then we can chat about it more. I personally plan on being there when this ship goes wheels up. And I already know what I want to see from this plane when it's in the air. If there are changes to be made, naturally, the first flights will be kept under wraps.

Dan Baker,
Team Carden
Last edited by Danny Baker; 03-18-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Joined Nov 2008
197 Posts

Mike: Yes, the Carden owners are on vacation til' 4/1. They are checking emails once per day, so your inquiry will be seen.

Dan Baker,
Team Carden
Old 03-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Suspended Account
SanAntonio,TX
Joined Jun 2006
3,389 Posts

Thanks Dan, you guys have great support, I have always loved Ulti's, I'm excited about this one.
MikeC3D is offline Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Old 03-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2006
979 Posts

I just emailed to get on the list also
Old 03-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2006
979 Posts

Danny I started old so I never had it hard... but even in the few years I have been flying things have become a LOT easier. Sites like this for example allow people to get the information they need and go GS with very little experience.

I agree with Mike - great support Danny. All the build threads on here give me confidence that I can actually build this thing correctly too.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by smokin
clinton, ia. usa
Joined Oct 2007
5,199 Posts

what is carden thinking huh? c'mon, a big aerobatic bipe, fuse longer than w/s, no flying wires to mess with... i mean, who's gonna want this bird, huh??? LOL

great job guys! this is gonna be awesome and is LONG overdue. i am a kit built guy way more so than an arf guy and i come from an "ultimate" club. there are pau's, H9's, AW's etc... it'll be neat to have a "non cookie cutter" version of this plane!!!!

keep up the great work and thanks for your vision!
smokin is offline Find More Posts by smokin
Old 03-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,968 Posts

I'm looking forward to this one for sure!
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by jmiracle
Findlay, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,383 Posts

....got on the list for this last week....hoping by the time it ships I'll be caught up on all my other projects! Cant wait....this will be killer for sure....will definitely be doing a build thread!
jmiracle is offline Find More Posts by jmiracle

Quick Reply