logo
Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
I'm up to 26 ten minute flights on my 7955 ailerons, 7950 elevators, and 7980 rudder on A123, no regulators. 110" Yak, all out 3D. No problems so far. I'll ya posted if anything changes.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,508 Posts
On the programing issue; I may be missing something but programming with your transmitter, PowerBox or Equalizers is not the same as programing the Hitec programable servo. If you program the center position of your servo with Sub Trim, you no longer have the same travel on each side of neutral. The amount of Sub Trim you used to get the servo arm to 90 degrees is subtracted from the travel on that side. With the programable servo, you can program the neutral point with the arm at exactly 90 degrees and then program the travel limits on each side to be equal. I beleive that having the servo arm at 90 degrees in the neutral position makes matching the servos at different rates much easier.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 06-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Aug 2010
2,372 Posts
Flybye Steve that' why you use your endpoint adjustments to set servo travel so that both sides are equal you get your servo artms as close to centre when you fit them then you may need to subtrim maybe 1 or 2 percent then you use end point adjustment to adjust your travel so you get same travel both ways It's exactly the same thing as you are doing with the programmer anyway.
BeverleyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by cmala3
Madison, AL
Joined Feb 2007
321 Posts
by using the servo programmer, you can increase the servo travel from 90 deg to 180 deg (servo city quoted specs).
cmala3 is offline Find More Posts by cmala3
Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Aug 2010
2,372 Posts
cmala std servo travel is 120 deg ad with end point adjustment you can increase it to 180 deg anyway, It's not that often that anyone would use 180deg of travel for a control surface anyway.
BeverleyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala3 View Post
by using the servo programmer, you can increase the servo travel from 90 deg to 180 deg (servo city quoted specs).
This is the real benefit. I need very large throws for 3D. Once I changed my center too much with the programmer, I couldn't can't get 45-55 degree throws on the servo. I had to change to the normal resolution (180 degrees). After that I could get all I wanted. I had to do this on all my servos exept the rudder. The uneven splines on the servos pretty much force you to have to use large center adjustments, and as a result, large end point adjustments on the programmer.

And BeverlyFlyer is correct. All you have to do is adjust the end points to get even throw on both sides of center when you use sub trim. I have done it before using angle meters on the surface. You can get it perfectly even. The thing is after you change the sub trim you have to go change the end points every time. You may have to go back and forth a few times tweaking sub trims and end points (kind of like tuning gas engine needles). But I can assure you that I got perfectly even throws on my servos doing this on a few different planes. It's a myth that subtrim makes non-linear servo throws. I have proved it to myself many times that you can get perfectly even throws with the radio. But the programmer has other benefits other than just center and end point adjustments.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 06-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
RUTNBUC
United States, SC, McClellanville
Joined Sep 2008
2,747 Posts
Servos that were plugged directly in the RX , did not jitter. Once I moved them out, to the outboard positions with leads they glitched badly. So it has occurred. Not a myth.
wylieruneyjr is offline Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
Old 06-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by Four Stroker
Joined Jan 2008
682 Posts
Maybe some 16 AWG extensions would solve this problem ? Also aftermarket extensions have problems from poor crimps.
Four Stroker is offline Find More Posts by Four Stroker
Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroker View Post
Maybe some 16 AWG extensions would solve this problem ? Also aftermarket extensions have problems from poor crimps.

something like this should work just fine. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=3807
jamesrxx951 is online now Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 06-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Find More Posts by rcpilot82
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
something like this should work just fine. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=3807
rcpilot82 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot82
Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by cmala3
Madison, AL
Joined Feb 2007
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverleyFlyer View Post
cmala std servo travel is 120 deg ad with end point adjustment you can increase it to 180 deg anyway, It's not that often that anyone would use 180deg of travel for a control surface anyway.

ok

I've never paid attention. I was just reading what servo city said.

If standard travel was + or - 45 deg, and I can increase my endpoint to 150% I assumed that the max travel with the tx would be + or - 67.5 deg.

Like I said though, I've never experimented with it so....my bad
cmala3 is offline Find More Posts by cmala3
Old 06-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by flyguy2
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAirPort View Post
I'm up to 26 ten minute flights on my 7955 ailerons, 7950 elevators, and 7980 rudder on A123, no regulators. 110" Yak, all out 3D. No problems so far. I'll ya posted if anything changes.
Yes please keep us informed. This confirms even more that this jittering issue is NOT NORMAL and is NOT present from the start like the service bulletin portrays. Love it!
flyguy2 is offline Find More Posts by flyguy2
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by flyguy2
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye Steve View Post
On the programing issue; I may be missing something but programming with your transmitter, PowerBox or Equalizers is not the same as programing the Hitec programable servo. If you program the center position of your servo with Sub Trim, you no longer have the same travel on each side of neutral. The amount of Sub Trim you used to get the servo arm to 90 degrees is subtracted from the travel on that side. With the programable servo, you can program the neutral point with the arm at exactly 90 degrees and then program the travel limits on each side to be equal. I beleive that having the servo arm at 90 degrees in the neutral position makes matching the servos at different rates much easier.
100% correct. Thats just why I like Hitec and have always used nothing but Hitec servos in all my planes for 8 years.... and the gears are bullet proof.
flyguy2 is offline Find More Posts by flyguy2
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by pepatrick
Yak - Extra - Yak...yakity yak
Cumming, GA
Joined Apr 2006
2,237 Posts
Love my 7950s...even though they havent been used in a while...
pepatrick is offline Find More Posts by pepatrick
Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by dunny
Grass Grower Extrodinare
United States, CA, Stanford
Joined Aug 2006
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye Steve View Post
Bingo- someone that gets it!!
dunny is offline Find More Posts by dunny

Quick Reply