Old 08-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Find More Posts by sarlacc
United States, TN, Dyersburg
Joined Aug 2010
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooinit View Post
Then buy a pilot. Hangar 9 planes are sweet flying machines
There is always one isn't there?...I was just making a point that Hanger 9 is high. I like both company's work, I like the looks of this one.
sarlacc is offline Find More Posts by sarlacc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by bobzilla
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Apr 2006
2,541 Posts
Holy Toledo!!
$519 for 75"ws plane!
That is what I was paying for a 100cc arf a few years ago. How times and money change.
bobzilla is offline Find More Posts by bobzilla
Old 08-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Find More Posts by canavanbob
CA
Joined May 2007
959 Posts
what was the last 100cc plane you bought for $519?
canavanbob is offline Find More Posts by canavanbob
Old 08-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Joined Apr 2006
2,541 Posts
Actually I am flying all of them today..visit my website to see. www.evflyers.com
Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
I personally think you get what you pay for. When you buy a budget airplane, it can and will fly very well, but you will need to make adjustments, re-do things, add materials and generally do the QC on the plane. When Horizon releases an airplane, you are getting a 'follow the directions' and get a good flying airplane. So the price is a little higher, but you are literally buying a GOOD FLYING AIRPLANE.

I have owned some awesome flying airplanes over the years, and some took MONTHS to get dialed in and flying properly. But the two airplanes that I simply followed the directions, set up the airplane like the directions said, took off and was amazed have been the Hanger 9 Extra 260, and the Aeroworks QBL Extra 260. Both tend to be a few bucks more than others, but with no headaches at all, I think it's worth it.

EDIT: Except now when I'm so broke, and I can't afford a 3" prop for my BNF Suhkoi.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 08-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Joined Apr 2006
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
I personally think you get what you pay for. When you buy a budget airplane, it can and will fly very well, but you will need to make adjustments, re-do things, add materials and generally do the QC on the plane. When Horizon releases an airplane, you are getting a 'follow the directions' and get a good flying airplane. So the price is a little higher, but you are literally buying a GOOD FLYING AIRPLANE.

I have owned some awesome flying airplanes over the years, and some took MONTHS to get dialed in and flying properly. But the two airplanes that I simply followed the directions, set up the airplane like the directions said, took off and was amazed have been the Hanger 9 Extra 260, and the Aeroworks QBL Extra 260. Both tend to be a few bucks more than others, but with no headaches at all, I think it's worth it.

EDIT: Except now when I'm so broke, and I can't afford a 3" prop for my BNF Suhkoi.
I agree with all of that. I did save lots on my 100cc Sukhoi, Yak and Katana, spent some extra time on reglueing, re-inforceing, etc. I have owned SD-Models, Aeroworks, Peak Models, Nitroplanes, World Models, TOC planes and presently building a Aerobeez MXS. Each model had each own pluses and minues, but generally, each one can turn out to be a great flyer. My 33% Yak (Nitroplanes) is almost 2 years old, has hundreds of flights and flys awesome. Hanger 9 is tops as far as build and I am sure it is every penny worth what they are asking. Great looking plane.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by dooinit
I am bad-ass
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Jul 2010
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarlacc View Post
There is always one isn't there?...I was just making a point that Hanger 9 is high. I like both company's work, I like the looks of this one.
I guess I was just messing with you. No offense meant by my comment. It does seem like prices on all of this stuff is getting expensive. And to think when I started this hobby, I thought having a showtime 90 would be the cats azz. Now I can't make myself buy anything smaller than 100cc. Oh well.
dooinit is offline Find More Posts by dooinit
Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 AM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
I agree with all of that. I did save lots on my 100cc Sukhoi, Yak and Katana, spent some extra time on reglueing, re-inforceing, etc. I have owned SD-Models, Aeroworks, Peak Models, Nitroplanes, World Models, TOC planes and presently building a Aerobeez MXS. Each model had each own pluses and minues, but generally, each one can turn out to be a great flyer. My 33% Yak (Nitroplanes) is almost 2 years old, has hundreds of flights and flys awesome. Hanger 9 is tops as far as build and I am sure it is every penny worth what they are asking. Great looking plane.
Yes you got the right attitude. The people that write off cheap planes are missing out. With some time and effort a nitro planes model can be a great flyer. It's all about the amount of time you have and what you are willing to do. And what you can afford.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, TX, Beaumont
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Smith View Post
http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdId=HAN4925

Street. Remember, Horizon has to allow room for hobby shops to make money as well.
They'll make there money just fine, in comparasion the 50cc yak sells for just another 60:

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN4650

520 for a 30cc, or 580 for a 50cc... Hrm...

Hope the bring the price to the 400 level, I have a hacker a50 w/HV 85 ready for it
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 08-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, TX, Beaumont
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
Also don't wan to start a bash, but Extreme Flight / 3dHS are the current benchmark for 30cc planes, they both sell in the 400 range, so here hoping that Horizion lowers the price.

It would be good for me because LHS would stock it and I could avoid shipping.
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 08-23-2013, 12:03 PM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
What's the manf cost difference between 30 and 50cc? I bet like 20 bucks. It's a few inches of balsa!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by hugocraft
Aerobatic Addict
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jun 2008
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Smith View Post
Pattern airplanes are 10S setups; this airplane is virtually identical in size. The Power 180 motor is very strong and I flew it this year in Quique's two-meter Splendor from Oxai. I'm excited to get one of these setup and flying with a Power 180. The samples I flew were amazing.
I was talking about battery sizes for a 3d plane. Rather have a lighter 3d plane with less power than the heavier plane with more power.
hugocraft is offline Find More Posts by hugocraft
Old 08-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by dooinit
I am bad-ass
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Jul 2010
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
What's the manf cost difference between 30 and 50cc? I bet like 20 bucks. It's a few inches of balsa!
And when you assemble one, you essentially use all the same radio equipment on a 30 and 50cc. At least when a guy piles up a 30cc, he has all the radio equipment for a 50cc later
dooinit is offline Find More Posts by dooinit
Old 08-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Find More Posts by TimBle
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
They'll make there money just fine, in comparasion the 50cc yak sells for just another 60:

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN4650

520 for a 30cc, or 580 for a 50cc... Hrm...

Hope the bring the price to the 400 level, I have a hacker a50 w/HV 85 ready for it
I don't think that Yak is in production anylonger...
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle

Quick Reply