logo
Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by exracer
United States, OH, Lindsey
Joined Aug 2012
93 Posts
Maiden flight today! Lots of power with the 55RA and this plane. The Pro-Flow canister is sweet...........sounds great in flight.........One of the guys shot some video. When i get it i will post it. I did not touch a thing with the plane and engine on the flight......perfect trim and balance with the CG on the plane. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
exracer is offline Find More Posts by exracer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,368 Posts
Does anyone know the distance from the firewall to the spinner's back plate? I'm guessing it's 170mm since the DLE55 fits with stock stand-offs. but I just want to make sure.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by Jaybird
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Does anyone know the distance from the firewall to the spinner's back plate? I'm guessing it's 170mm since the DLE55 fits with stock stand-offs. but I just want to make sure.
On the Pilot planes you install the firewall wherever you need it. It's not done at the factory.
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old 03-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Find More Posts by planebender
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jan 2006
3,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exracer View Post
Maiden flight today! Lots of power with the 55RA and this plane. The Pro-Flow canister is sweet...........sounds great in flight.........One of the guys shot some video. When i get it i will post it. I did not touch a thing with the plane and engine on the flight......perfect trim and balance with the CG on the plane. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats Mike!!! FINALLY..... Now you can have some fun

Planebender
planebender is offline Find More Posts by planebender
Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 PM
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
On the Pilot planes you install the firewall wherever you need it. It's not done at the factory.
Thanks Brian. I have a Q80-7M Hacker that I was considering for this plane because it can swing a 24x10TH Mejzlik to 4500 Watts, 6540 RPMs, and 33 pounds of thrust on only 10S. The plane should come in at about the same weight as a DLE55 with a pipe, so 15.5 to 16 pounds. That should make it a lot of fun for quick trips to the field knowing I can leave the gas can home on hot summer afternoons after work. The only problem I see is that the motor measures about 82mm from the back of the mount to the back of the spinner. The DLE55 and standard stand offs is about 170mm. Any ideas?

Jim
Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts
That will be s fun setup! Your dead on the weight, mine is 16 pounds with a DLE and a canister.
I really can't remember how far out you can mount the firewall, but it's not enough to make that distance up. I guess some stout standoffs should be ok?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:18 PM
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,368 Posts
Yeah, I think I know a few guys on the RCG thread that can machine a set once I figure out the length. Thanks, again.

I guess I should just call Donnie.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 AM
Find More Posts by TimBle
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
You're better off building a motor box. The torque from the electrc motor will twist standoffs that long. There are adjustable motor mounts available from Great Planes and other vendors
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 AM
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts
I have a spare set of Re-2's, thinking about shoe-horning one of them in my Edge to replace the china-can. I think if I can get enough weight moved forward it just might work.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Joined Aug 2012
93 Posts
170mm is right...........I placed 4mm spacers on the stand-offs to get the clearance i wanted for the cowl.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 AM
Find More Posts by TimBle
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
HAs anyone here built one of these PRC 30% Edge 540's and powered it with an Evolution 58GX or MVVS 58Prosport?

If yes could post pics on the engine in cowl? does he cylinger's head protrude from the bottom of the cowl? did the engine generally fit without much trouble? length of standoffs?
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Joined Aug 2012
93 Posts
Lots of pull with the 22x9 @ 7320 Went to the Toledo show and got a Falcon carbon 23x8W it's installed and wanting for the weather to clear to test it out.

One thing for sure the Pro-Flow canister has a great power band and a sweet sound!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:31 PM
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,368 Posts
The DLE55 with a Falcon carbon 22x9 at 7320 RPMs is 5.13 HP, 30.75 pounds of thrust, and 62.4 mph pitch speed. If the plane comes in at 15 pounds, that's not too bad, but with that can, the engine should swing a carbon Falcon or a Mejzlik 24x8 to 6690 RPMs, which is 5.76 HP, 34.6 pounds of thrust, but only a 53 mph pitch speed. If you fly 3D and don't mind giving up some speed at the top end, then the 24x8 produces more HP, thrust, and torque, throughout the entire throttle curve, than the 22x9. Let us know what the 23x8 wide does as far as RPMs.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Thanks Brian. I have a Q80-7M Hacker that I was considering for this plane because it can swing a 24x10TH Mejzlik to 4500 Watts, 6540 RPMs, and 33 pounds of thrust on only 10S. The plane should come in at about the same weight as a DLE55 with a pipe, so 15.5 to 16 pounds. That should make it a lot of fun for quick trips to the field knowing I can leave the gas can home on hot summer afternoons after work. The only problem I see is that the motor measures about 82mm from the back of the mount to the back of the spinner. The DLE55 and standard stand offs is about 170mm. Any ideas?

Jim

Contact Gravy , we can make whatever you need ..
Blazing Star mounts
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks
Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 PM
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,368 Posts
Thanks, Donnie. I was thinking about that but I know the one cut from the square solid aluminum piece is not recommended at this length. Maybe there's something else I'm not thinking about. BTW... you planning a trip over soon?

Quick Reply