Old 06-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by Buzzed
3D Sunset Flier!
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Dec 2008
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmceachern View Post
I have flown the 50% and I have a 40% and I prefer it. The 50% seems just too floaty, but I still like flying it also. Matter of fact I had to land my buddies 50% with the right wheel missing(fell off in flight) drug it in on the left wing and wheel and when it came to a stop it fell over on the right axle. Gotta luv it. Only with a cub can you do that. Found the wheel, put it back on and took off again.Luv them Cubbies.
Nicely done! I did the same thing with my old H9 Cub and it was not pretty. Hehe.

-Buzzed

P.S. My buddy from Cali put it into a spin a few years ago and couldn't get it out. Sure was a mess...
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 AM
Find More Posts by JTerrell
Clear Lake Shores, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
91 Posts
Just trying to get some opinions, what does everyone think about putting a DLE-30 on the Cub!

Let's hear what you think!

I'm not looking for a 3d machine, just a good flying airplane!
JTerrell is offline Find More Posts by JTerrell
Old 06-16-2011, 01:15 AM
3D Sunset Flier!
Joined Dec 2008
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTerrell View Post
Just trying to get some opinions, what does everyone think about putting a DLE-30 on the Cub!

Let's hear what you think!

I'm not looking for a 3d machine, just a good flying airplane!
Lotsa' my buds out here in Phoenix have DLE-30s. They all seem happy with them. Plenty of power for a great price.

I think it would be perfect for this Cub. A beautiful scale flier indeed!

-Buzzed

P.S. Can't wait to see her fly on the -30. I'm sure it will balance easy too!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by FlyerRick
Arizona RC Flyers
Glendale, AZ
Joined Dec 2010
53 Posts
Were moving foward...couple of hurdles to clear yet. The throttle servo location, the throttle servo rod in relation to the carb and mounting location has proved a bit challenging.

The cowl alignment is a real trick. With this cowl being a "slip-over" rather than a "cowl-ring" there is a lot of room for error if your not careful...and you know how we are about the cowl and spinner alignments with their gap and all! To get this right you have to kinda angle the cowl a bit to allow for the engine thrust off-set. AeroWorks and others build that offset into the cowl so it mounts a bit more precise, but then they use a cowl-ring. Were getting there though
FlyerRick is offline Find More Posts by FlyerRick
Old 06-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Clear Lake Shores, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
91 Posts
Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
Lotsa' my buds out here in Phoenix have DLE-30s. They all seem happy with them. Plenty of power for a great price.

I think it would be perfect for this Cub. A beautiful scale flier indeed!

-Buzzed

P.S. Can't wait to see her fly on the -30. I'm sure it will balance easy too!
I have a DLE-30 on my Aeroworks Edge and it runs great! I'm still leaning towards the 30 on the Cub!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by lebowski
little lebowski urban acheiver
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Sep 2009
368 Posts
Bill even thinks a DLE-30 would be a good combo for this airframe, go with it. Thats what im going to do as soon as i can get the scratch for this airframe.
lebowski is offline Find More Posts by lebowski
Old 06-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Clear Lake Shores, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
91 Posts
Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
Bill even thinks a DLE-30 would be a good combo for this airframe, go with it. Thats what im going to do as soon as i can get the scratch for this airframe.
I think that is what I'm going with!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Arizona RC Flyers
Glendale, AZ
Joined Dec 2010
53 Posts
To fly this plane at or a touch above a scale cub, the NEW DLE 30 or rear carberated model would fly this plane just fine . To be quite honest, for all that I've seen and built with this cub, the motor mounting, firewall, the general construction, even the hardware pack, is suited much better for the 30-40cc engine class.

I've been involved with and tested my own DLE engines in number of different planes for well over a year now. I have and own the DLE 30, 3-55's and 2-111's, I've run them on regular 91 octane pump gas and have 2 that I run 101LL octane av-gas and have had absolutly no problems with them what so ever. They all produce a great amount of power for their respective sizes but the NEW 30 and the 111 are over whelming in the power band that is produced by these two engines. I have one of my DLE 111's in an AeroWorks 100cc Edge 540 and this engine will rocket the plane streight up clear outta sight in a heart beat. I can do a straight up climb, slow down to a hover and hit it again 3 different times then go clean outta sight for the finish with the 111 in this plane....

Not to get off track with what I was going to say...the NEW DLE 30 would be a great and probably the best engine for this cub for all around fun and sport flying!
Old 06-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
I fly an older Hanger 9 100" CUB @ 15.5 Lbs with the DLE-30 and it performs extremely well. Not quite unlimited vertical but darn close. It will pull out of a hover but not with blinding speed. Knife edge loops are effortless, etc. Scale like performace comes at less than 1/4 throttle. A friend flies a 30 powered 1/4 scale Balsa USA CUB with similar performance. Unless one is expecting unlimited vertical performance, the 30 should fly the BH CUB with authority and certainly at well above scale performance. Its all about the weight and if the BH CUB comes in around 15 pounds, performance will be excellent. The 30 would be my first choice unless these planes start coming in on the heavy side ..... then I have an unemployed DA-50 sitting in a drawer.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Arizona RC Flyers
Glendale, AZ
Joined Dec 2010
53 Posts
Whatz up next?...well I finally got the throttle solution figured out to my liking and the working unit installed and ready to go...

I was having my bigest problem on the location of the servo. It had to be in a relitive location to try to keep the servo rod as short and as streight as posiable. That will achieve the best and smoothest transition your going to get from idle to 100% full throttle. I do not like throttle rods that are long and loose or have bends in them. Some times that can't be helped but not here.

I made the servo mount out of 2 pieces of 3/32" birch ply. Piece 1: 3.5"x1.5" and piece 2: 1.5"x1.125". I glued them together on the end with CA thick and put in 2 gussets for the 90 deg angle. Cut my hole for the servo and mounted in the plane with 6 min epoxy and a piece of small tri-stock for support.

The servo rod I made out of a piece of threaded one end 440 rod. Measured it to the correct legnth for the desired throttle action and soldered my stainless 440 clevis on the blank end. On the threaded end of the rod I used a standard 440 ball link into the servo arm. Did the final install and adjustments and the throttle for this bird is a done deal!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 PM
3D Sunset Flier!
Joined Dec 2008
381 Posts
Rick Sir,

You are a genius! Outstanding engineering.

I really like how solid the throttle servo install turned out. The fuel tank fit looks nice too.

Speaking of the tank, it's 32 oz. which would probably make for a 20-minute flight. I'm only good for about 10-12 minutes though.

-Buzzed

P.S. Here is the Tru Turn Cub Hub I purchased to top this build off. Will probably be the last thing to bolt on this beautiful bird!

http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store...exact_match=on
Old 06-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by terickson
4Gpo-Girls,Guns,Guitars,Giants
Durham, Ca
Joined Jul 2006
147 Posts
Nice touch! May have to order one.

You know, as I work on this thing, I can't help but notice how nice everything fits. So far, the only thing I can complain about is funky looking welds on the landing gear (still better than I could do). .

Anyone source Tundra tires for this thing yet?
terickson is offline Find More Posts by terickson
Old 06-17-2011, 12:06 AM
3D Sunset Flier!
Joined Dec 2008
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terickson View Post
Nice touch! May have to order one.

You know, as I work on this thing, I can't help but notice how nice everything fits. So far, the only thing I can complain about is funky looking welds on the landing gear (still better than I could do). .

Anyone source Tundra tires for this thing yet?
My buddy has 6" Dubro tires on his. They look great.

-Buzzed

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD770&P=M
Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
Video please
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern
Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Clear Lake Shores, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
91 Posts
Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmceachern View Post
Video please
Butch,

I will have mine flying in a week or so and you can see it in person!
Thought I might have it ready for the Big Bird but had to end up flying at
work more than I had planned!

Jeff T.

Quick Reply