logo
Old 02-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by JMFLYING
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2015
287 Posts
Help!
XG14 Help setting up crow programming

I have read all the info I can find and I still cannot get the "crow" feature set up.
Currently using a RG1131B receiver. Plane is set up as Acro with 4 ailerons I chose the option of ailerons on channels left wing ch 8 and ch 5 right wing ch 7 and ch 2. All four work great as 4 ailerons, I can even get flaperons. I tried switching the 2 inboard connections to opposite wings and reversing the servos did not work. I have included a picture of the bottom of the wing to show the linkage setup. If I need to flip the arms on 2 of the servos I can do that and relocate the control horn to keep linkage straight.
I will admit I am not very good at reading the manual and figuring out the programming, but if I see a step by step picture I learn it and make copies so I never have to ask for the same info twice. I want to set this up on my current stick so when I get my new Hanger 9 Ultra Stick I can program it. I did get a great step by step tutorial by AWorrest for mixing throttle to smoke pump. Thanks in advance. Joe
JMFLYING is offline Find More Posts by JMFLYING
Last edited by JMFLYING; 02-10-2017 at 09:00 PM. Reason: old info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2015
287 Posts
I will add one thing because I will probably get questions about it, Yes those are Dubro 5.625 air up tires I used on a super cub. Yes I do probably have the only stick with the tundra tire kit installed and yes I did get a STC approval
I am not married to the current programming I will delete and start over if needed, regular set up no problem, just these neat programming mixes kick my tail. I do fly this model a lot, currently equipped with 3 2500mah a123 receiver packs a DLE30 and I fly between 1 to 1 1/2 gallons every time I go fly. I am on medical leave from back surgery so I have been flying a lot lately. thanks for the help Joe
Last edited by JMFLYING; 02-10-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: info
Old 02-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by apriliamille
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2008
180 Posts
Aworrest helped with crow in this thread a while ago. Maybe there is something that can help?

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=202507
apriliamille is offline Find More Posts by apriliamille
Old 02-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2015
287 Posts
I did read that thread several times, I have yet to figure out your set up compared to mine to make the necessary adjustments. Did you choose the 4 aileron wing and use channels 2, 5, 7, and 8 for ailerons? That is how I am set up now. I need all 4 to work as ailerons and currently only can get all 4 to work as flaperons.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Find More Posts by apriliamille
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2008
180 Posts
I will try and look this weekend. I think I did 2a2f

Edit I reread that thread and now I don't remember exactly what I did. I got frustrated with all the jr radio nonsense and shelved the radios. I'll try and pull it out to see this weekend
apriliamille is offline Find More Posts by apriliamille
Last edited by apriliamille; 02-10-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2015
287 Posts
Last edited by JMFLYING; 05-04-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Find More Posts by AWorrest
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Nov 2008
500 Posts
What I related in the past on crow was most likely Quique Somenzini’s setup for his Beast biplane. What you have is a monoplane and it doesn’t require the trickery used on a bipe to get crow. What I would do is set the plane up with NORMAL dual ailerons (not flaperons) and dual flaps. If you leave the FLAP [OUT] set to SYS in the DEVICE SELECT, the flaps will be controlled by a three-position switch. One of the switch positions you could designate for crow. Then use a normal program mix of FLAP -> FPRN to make the ailerons move in the opposite directions from the flaps and set the mix’s SW SEL for that flap position.

If you want the flaps to act as ailerons, there is the AILE -> FLAP premix. To go into more detail, I would need to know under what conditions you wanted crow to occur other than what I described.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old 02-10-2017, 11:14 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2015
287 Posts
Alan thanks again.
What I would like is all four to act as aileron, using my 3 position "flap" switch position one would leave all four ailerons working as ailerons. Move "flap" switch down to position two would activate inboard ailerons into flaps (down). Move "flap" switch down to position three would leave flaps down and move out board ailerons up into the spoiler position.
Thanks again for your help, let me know if I need to swich wing type and channel assignments of the wing type and servos.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:40 AM
Joined Nov 2008
500 Posts
I’m going to be tied up with business until Saturday evening. I’ll get back to the thread then. In the meantime I’ve been thinking that Quique’s scheme should work on a monoplane. Use a four-aileron wing type. Designate LAL1 as the left aileron, LAL2 as the left flap, RAL1 as the right aileron and RAL2 as the right flap. You should be able to get crow simply by swapping the left and right flap servos connections to the receiver. A flaperon command will make the aileron surfaces go in one direction and flap surfaces go in the other.

However, Quique’s scheme has limitations. Aileron deflections and flaperon deflections will be the same for all surfaces. If differential is used, it is wrong for the flap servos. By using dual ailerons and dual flaps these limitations are eliminated.

Allan
Last edited by AWorrest; 02-11-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2015
287 Posts
Standing by, I set up a receiver and servos on the table tried set up a couple times, best I could get was 2 ailerons and only one channel for flap, need two.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Joined Nov 2008
500 Posts
Start with a NORMAL wing type having DUAL ailerons. I chose to use the GEAR channel for the left aileron. In the WING TYPE menu set up the dual flaps. There I chose to use AUX2 as the left flap channel. It is not critical which channels you use for the left aileron and flap but these allow you to use a seven-channel receiver. And they locate the left component channels as closes as possible to their corresponding right channel components. While JR supposedly updates mated channels simultaneously, it doesn’t hurt to group them closely.
Name: #1.jpg
Views: 121
Size: 51.6 KB
Description: WINGTYPE menu, GEAR channel mated to right aileron, AUX2 mated to right flap.

Check the DEVICE SELECT menu that the FLAP [OUT] is set to SYS and the FLAP [DEVICE] is the FLAP SW.
Name: #2.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 61.3 KB
Description: DEVICE SELECT menu, Note FLAP channel settings

Now check the aileron deflection direction. If I’m not mistaken, you will have to reverse the aileron channels. This is because your servo arms are pointed toward the fuselage. If you were to use the Quique scheme, you would have to reverse all four aileron channels.
Name: #3.jpg
Views: 113
Size: 49.8 KB
Description: Reverse right and left aileron channels

Set up the FLAP SYSTEM menu. I arbitrarily chose 50% down flap for both switch positions 1 and 2. FLAP SW position 0 is left zero as you want to use the flaps as ailerons for this switch position. Now check the flap deflection for the various switch positions.
Name: #4.jpg
Views: 102
Size: 48.0 KB
Description: FLAP SYSTEM menu setup

Go to the AILE -> FLAP premix in the Function List. Again I arbitrarily set the mix to 100% so the flaps will deflect the same amount as the ailerons. The negative sign is necessary for the flap and aileron on the same side move in the same direction.
Name: #5.jpg
Views: 122
Size: 44.8 KB
Description: AILE -> FLAP premix settings

Now go to the mix’s SW SEL and set the FLAP SW (0) to on. All other switches including the MIX SW should be set off. Check that the flaps follow the ailerons when the FLAP SW is in position zero (all the way up).
Name: #6.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 51.1 KB
Description: AILE -> FLAP premix SW SELsetting

Set up a normal program mix of FLAP -> FPRN. Turn the FLAP TRIM and FLAP SYS Include for the master channel off. Including the FLAP SYS in the master FLAP channel will lessen the amount of flaperon deflection. Put the FLAP SW in position 2 (all the way down) and set the POS1 D to -50%. The magnitude is arbitrary but anything much more than 50% and hard over aileron stick command will exceed the normal travel for the aileron channels. The sign has to be negative for the flaperons to rise. Leave the offset zero. In the mix SW SEL menu set FLAP SW(2) to on. All other switches should be set off. Put the FLAP SW in position 2 and check for crow action. You should exit a program mix before checking it out. Otherwise, it may operate in a way to mislead you.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2015
287 Posts
Thanks again, I do appreciate the time you put into this. I just printed this out I am grabbing a quick bite and will update when I am successful.
Once again the step by step and pictures say a 1000 words.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:22 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2015
287 Posts
Crow programming a success. Allan you did it again, excellent instructions. I guess if the Team JR guys need help they come to you LOL. I do really appreciate the effort you put into this and made it so easy to comprehend, maybe you should start writing manuals for JR Propo
Now as soon as our North Texas wind will slow down I will be at the field to test

Quick Reply