logo
Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
I had fun on Saturday judging. I judged Unlimited and Advanced and I was impressed with the level of talent in those two classes. Congratulations to Rich Sornberger for bringing the pain in Advanced! What an improvement from the last time I had seen him.

It was nice to see everyone again...and John....you will get there my friend. You already have the basics down. Now it's just some fine tuning. Great job this weekend.
mbacosa is online now Find More Posts by mbacosa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Thank you Baco. It's funny... as I walked to get my plane I thought "man - that was a really good sequence" and then as I sat in my chair and watched the next guy fly there was a lot of "I was a little under on that roll" and "my line was a little off there" and "my radius didnt match on that one" so my 9.5 average for each maneuver went to 7 pretty fast as I thought about it... and they were all little things.. which is good... no major issues - just getting ahead of the plane a little more and planning inputs earlier... which... unfortunately is fixed by burning gas... I wish lunchtime foamy flying could help more... time to fly at the field is pretty limited with the little one, but it's all fun no matter how I fly
mtndewdewd is offline Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by wings19
3D Heli Turned IMAC
United States, TX, Friendswood
Joined May 2006
293 Posts
Awesome event put on by the guys at EVA! Thanks everyone! The weather was great and it was nice to see everyone again. Can't wait for the next contest, should be a good time.

Last year was my first IMAC season and I had a lot to learn, I was able to put it all together for this contest and will hopefully make a good run at it this year. A big thanks to everyone who offered advice and critique last season!
wings19 is offline Find More Posts by wings19
Old 01-21-2013, 11:58 AM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings19 View Post
Awesome event put on by the guys at EVA! Thanks everyone! The weather was great and it was nice to see everyone again. Can't wait for the next contest, should be a good time.

Last year was my first IMAC season and I had a lot to learn, I was able to put it all together for this contest and will hopefully make a good run at it this year. A big thanks to everyone who offered advice and critique last season!
Nick - like Nick Harwood? Dude. Your 1st year in IMAC was intermediate and you did great (7th in the region) and you flew phenonimal this weekend. What's the secret to flying soo well soo fast? Spill the beans
Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 PM
3D Heli Turned IMAC
Joined May 2006
293 Posts
Yep, that's me, thanks John! Last year I was only able to hit the AZ contests and had a rough start, wasn't good at wind corrections, not able to think fast enough to add correct rudder in time through different orientations, flew too small/too close/rushed etc... I burned lots of fuel over the summer practicing those items and finished 5th at the Shootout. Now on to this year...

As for starting in intermediate I figured I'd challenge myself a little a start in the middle even if I came in last every time. I used to fly heli's pretty seriously so my left thumb is pretty active I flew a bit of IAC too so I understand the aerodynamics which I think helps a lot. Other than that, I don't know, I just do it. It's about burning fuel and knowing your airplane IMO. I still have a lot to learn though, I try to be like a sponge at contests to pick up what I can.

I saw one of your sequences and thought you flew nice lines. I think you'll be hanging with us in intermediate in no time.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:42 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings19 View Post
Yep, that's me, thanks John! Last year I was only able to hit the AZ contests and had a rough start, wasn't good at wind corrections, not able to think fast enough to add correct rudder in time through different orientations, flew too small/too close/rushed etc... I burned lots of fuel over the summer practicing those items and finished 5th at the Shootout. Now on to this year...

As for starting in intermediate I figured I'd challenge myself a little a start in the middle even if I came in last every time. I used to fly heli's pretty seriously so my left thumb is pretty active I flew a bit of IAC too so I understand the aerodynamics which I think helps a lot. Other than that, I don't know, I just do it. It's about burning fuel and knowing your airplane IMO. I still have a lot to learn though, I try to be like a sponge at contests to pick up what I can.

I saw one of your sequences and thought you flew nice lines. I think you'll be hanging with us in intermediate in no time.
Man - I sure hear that "burn lots of gas" stuff a lot I wish I heard more "lots of simulator time after the baby goes down" but I have yet to hear that as the "smoking gun"

By left thumb you mean throttle right - I make sure to never make that thing move left or right cause everytime I do - bad things happen

If you consider inadvertent spins in a skylane - I have some real IAC experience also

Thanks for the complement, I have lots of people helping me, and for the amount I actually get to fly I think I am progressing pretty well. Hope to see you at Florence!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
I can't wait to compete again soon. Maybe with a little help from my friend John...that may just happen!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 PM
3D Heli Turned IMAC
Joined May 2006
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbacosa View Post
I can't wait to compete again soon. Maybe with a little help from my friend John...that may just happen!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by plane
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,424 Posts
John, I was one of the judges on your second round in the afternoon. I can tell you MOST pilots, not you, flew too close to the judges! Almost all drifted towards the deadline on the right side doing the 135 degree push going into the spin. Then would have to veer about 30 degrees back out setting up for the spin. Basically they weren't compensating for the wind. Then coming into the spin the wind would once again push the plane towards the deadline.

It was a long stressful judging session for me and Dean Bird. We both had to immediately go fly our second rounds of advanced. I can hardly even remember flying that round. I was totally rum dumb at that point.

Rich
plane is offline Find More Posts by plane
Last edited by plane; 01-21-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Ft Lupton CO
Joined Nov 2008
2,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbacosa View Post
Mike, is it true that you are building a Dalton Yak?

I'm hoping we get some nice enough weather here so I can practice enough to make it to the Cactus Classic.
flatspinjim is offline Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by evan loves 3d
Shootout here i come!!!
morgan hill california united states
Joined Aug 2006
155 Posts
any pictures?
evan loves 3d is offline Find More Posts by evan loves 3d
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by Ace4
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Aug 2011
42 Posts
I snapped a couple pics while there.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
John, I was one of the judges on your second round in the afternoon. I can tell you MOST pilots, not you, flew too close to the judges! Almost all drifted towards the deadline on the right side doing the 135 degree push going into the spin. Then would have to veer about 30 degrees back out setting up for the spin. Basically they weren't compensating for the wind. Then coming into the spin the wind would once again push the plane towards the deadline.

It was a long stressful judging session for me and Dean Bird. We both had to immediately go fly our second rounds of advanced. I can hardly even remember flying that round. I was totally rum dumb at that point.

Rich
That was my worst flight of the contest - sorry you had to watch that

I do fly in close, but it's because my eyes stink (even corrected) and if I get too far out I have no clue what it is doing and have to guess at timiing (why my hammers stink)... but I usually work my way out and never in (afraid of the deadline and the dreaded DQ)
Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
It is true Jim. I'm going to do a full build thread. The kit looks great btw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatspinjim View Post
Mike, is it true that you are building a Dalton Yak?

I'm hoping we get some nice enough weather here so I can practice enough to make it to the Cactus Classic.

Quick Reply