Old 07-31-2013, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by mizm75
Fly Delta jets
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Aug 2012
345 Posts
Question
Question for the 3D experts

Do you guys employ aileron differential on your 3D airframes? If so, why? The reason i'm asking is that I was in a heated debate with a friend and fellow flyer today. I'm definitely no aerodynamicist but I just don't see a need for differential on a plane that spends most of it's life in a stalled state.
mizm75 is offline Find More Posts by mizm75
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by columbo
IMAC
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Jan 2006
1,015 Posts
The need for differential is determined not when the plane is in 3D (stalled or semi-stalled) mode, but when the plane is actually flying on the wing. If the wing has a tendency to "walk" when doing an aileron roll, resulting in a sort of cork screw effect versus an axial roll, then differential is probably needed to correct this. This should be corrected for even if the plane is going to be used for mostly 3D style flying.
columbo is offline Find More Posts by columbo
Old 07-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Fly Delta jets
Joined Aug 2012
345 Posts
[QUOTE=columbo;2005211]The need for differential is determined not when the plane is in 3D (stalled or semi-stalled) mode, but when the plane is actually flying on the wing. If the wing has a tendency to "walk" when doing an aileron roll, resulting in a sort of cork screw effect versus an axial roll, then differential is probably needed to correct this. This should be corrected for even if the plane is going to be used for mostly 3D style flying.[/QUOTE

That makes perfect sense although I was led to believe that the symmetrical airfoil of a 3D flyer, in theory compensated for that effect based on the speed at which 3D maneuvers are executed, is that true?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
That is a straight forward answer. Nothing to add to that.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,368 Posts
A symmetrical wingl will create lift when the aileron is down because the wing then has a camber. The drag of the aileron is created not by the aileron resisting the air, but because of the lift it generates, and it does so because by being down, it creates a camber in the wing surface making the profile semi-symmetrical.

Also, 3D has a different meaning now and has become more of an extreme aerobatic freestyle than what it was a few years ago, which was a lot of hovering. There are probably 60 maneuvers that I know of that are considered part of the 3D repertoire, and seems to grow every week. I'm still working on the first dozen.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
Old 08-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Fly Delta jets
Joined Aug 2012
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
A symmetrical wingl will create lift when the aileron is down because the wing then has a camber. The drag of the aileron is created not by the aileron resisting the air, but because of the lift it generates, and it does so because by being down, it creates a camber in the wing surface making the profile semi-symmetrical.

Also, 3D has a different meaning now and has become more of an extreme aerobatic freestyle than what it was a few years ago, which was a lot of hovering. There are probably 60 maneuvers that I know of that are considered part of the 3D repertoire, and seems to grow every week. I'm still working on the first dozen.
Hence my confusion. A wing doesn't know whether or not it's upside down. so on a full symmetrical airfoil, wouldn't the amount of lift generated by an equal aileron deflection be equal on both wings? Does the wing's incidence change that?
Old 08-01-2013, 01:16 AM
Find More Posts by columbo
IMAC
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Jan 2006
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizm75 View Post
wouldn't the amount of lift generated by an equal aileron deflection be equal on both wings? Does the wing's incidence change that?
No. If both ailerons move by equal amounts, the downward deflecting aileron creates more drag and lift than the upward deflecting one creating what's called adverse yaw. Hence the need for differential.
columbo is offline Find More Posts by columbo
Old 08-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
in an aerobatic plane... Aileron differential is used to firstly negate the slight positive incidence between the wing and tail all planes need to be stable....

Secondly it is used to try and tune out other minor peculiarities that might exist.....

But generally speaking... a truly Pitch-Neutral plane with symmetry should not need differential
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 AM
Find More Posts by Cerus98
United States, IL, Carbondale
Joined Aug 2012
519 Posts
As per the original question. Yes, I generally always use differential whether its a "3D plane" or not. Why? Because I'm never flying 100% "3D" and I don't think anyone really is. Unless you never do any sort of axial roll (which are a part of a lot of 3D maneuvers anyway) you can benefit from it. It doesn't hurt to set it up either way.
Cerus98 is offline Find More Posts by Cerus98
Old 08-01-2013, 01:50 AM
Find More Posts by 401HITMAN
I like Mountain Dew!!
Elkhart Lake WI USA
Joined Jul 2007
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbo View Post
No. If both ailerons move by equal amounts, the downward deflecting aileron creates more drag and lift than the upward deflecting one creating what's called adverse yaw. Hence the need for differential.

+1

You are looking at lift vs drag when playing with aileron differential.

You'll have to experiment with your programming, determine what works best for your style of flying and your airframe's tendencies.

Of course I assumed you have you geometry set correct to begin with.

Jeff
401HITMAN is offline Find More Posts by 401HITMAN
Old 08-01-2013, 02:08 AM
Fly Delta jets
Joined Aug 2012
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbo View Post
But that would imply that lift is exclusively relative to the ground. I'm completely confused now.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:13 AM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
LIFT IS RELATIVE TO THE PLANE...
(rasts.. stupid caps lock!!)

Try a little experiment.... do a roll and hold just a smidge of up elev.... see how it barrels around....
Differential simply negates the "Up" trim a plane needs to be stable....
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 08-01-2013, 02:16 AM
Fly Delta jets
Joined Aug 2012
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 401HITMAN View Post
+1

You are looking at lift vs drag when playing with aileron differential.

You'll have to experiment with your programming, determine what works best for your style of flying and your airframe's tendencies.

Of course I assumed you have you geometry set correct to begin with.

Jeff
I've never used differential on my 3D birds but i'm up for experimenting. Never considered an axial roll a "3D" maneuver but times change I guess. Also do you guys use diff in low and high rates?
Last edited by mizm75; 08-01-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Fly Delta jets
Joined Aug 2012
345 Posts
[QUOTE=Mithrandir;2005291]LIFT IS RELATIVE TO THE PLANE...
(rasts.. stupid caps lock!!)

LOL! I'm fully aware of that. I once gave "up" input while inverted.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizm75 View Post
I've never used differential on my 3D birds but i'm up for experimenting. Never considered an axial roll a "3D" maneuver but times change I guess. Also do you guys use diff in low and high rates?
Picture full roll rate loops. It beats correcting with the elevator all the way around the loop while the plane is rolling at 600 degrees per second.
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey

Quick Reply