logo
Old 04-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by LeadingEdge
Joined Mar 2006
139 Posts
Full Scale Huckin'!

Article by: Bob "Biff" Sadler

Matt Chapman; 4 Striper for American Airlines, Airshow veteran, avid modeler, Flying Giants member and all around down to earth regular Joe.

I'll start with what's available on his site www.mattchapman.com, touch on the ACAP series then throw in some stories of what the guy is really all about. Let me start by saying he's a consummate professional. Though we do carry on and rib the guy pretty good, he's without a doubt the guy I want at the controls in any situation. He's smart, pragmatic and leaves nothing to chance. I have nothing but respect for what he's done, what he's doing and who he is. You don't do what Matt does very long if you don't have complete control of your equipment and of yourself.

Matt was born in NJ and had his first experience with RC watching sail boats! That should have put a stop to any interest from that point on, but he kept at it! Like most of us, once he saw an airplane he was hooked! RC flying got into his system and a career in aviation was a natural progression.

Matt started flying full scale in 1979 and has since logged over 14,000 hours above terra firma. Aerobatics was his next facet of flight that started in 1984. As he conquered his fear of heights, he started competing and quickly worked his way to unlimited. I know he built a Pitts in his apartment building (YES full scale!) and had to lower the wings out of his second floor window! In 1996 and 1998, he earned one of the five slots for the US Team. Quite an accomplishment by anyone's standards.

At the Slovakian World Aerobatic Championships in '98, Matt was the highest ranking American pilot capturing 3rd place, and he led the men's team to a silver medal overall. Matt received the Hillard trophy for the highest placing US pilot at a World Championship. Matt also won the IAC Championship in '94 and Fond du Lac Cup in '95.

He's been in the airshow game for over 20 years. He's not only a gifted pilot; he's also an ambassador of aviation and modeling. I'm sure his sponsors Hartzell, Lycoming, Lincoln Electric, Klein Tools, Good Year and Great Planes sleep well knowing Matt isn't going to do or say anything that would tarnish their fine names. He's a gifted speaker and enjoys the hat signing as much as flying.

Matt was invited to compete in the XXXX series. A high profile LONG dollar shootout with big dog names with some awesome technology! Giant TV screens showing in cockpit action to the masses! 5 minute routines and a couple rounds a day add up to one heck of a cool format. No sequences - fly your routine and let the chips fall where they will. I love the concept and I feel this type of accessibility to the pilots and some MAJOR TV folks getting onboard will give Aerobatics a GIANT shot in the arm. Oh yeah, did I mention there's close to a Dollar on the table? I think a series with these guys would make American Chopper and Deadliest Catch look like Mr. Rogers Neighborhood!

We'll be giving you folks updates and keep Matty boy motivated through the series. Matt is flying our name on his visor for the world to see!! That did come at enormous expense to us! Shipping ALONE for those graphics were OVER $8 !!!! Not to mention time and materials. Let's just say with close to $70 invested, we certainly are pulling for Mr. Chapman to have the most fun of anyone at the shows!

To all the hard working folks involved with XXXX, THANK YOU for making aerobatics more accessible to the world and giving these super star pilots a venue to shine! BRAVO!! Check dates for the series and if it's at all possible, ATTEND! You won't regret it and I'm sure Matt will give you the secret Flying Giant hand shake!

So now for the real world! What's this high falootin' jet jock, acro blaster like just hanging out? In a word, FUN!! Matt is just one of those guys who folks gravitate to. If you've not experienced a night at the pool of the Holiday Inn Express during the Nall, you haven't truly laughed! Folks hang out initially just to see what he's like. After hearing his "war" stories or get on the receiving end of his caustic wit you just want to be a part of what's going to happen next. There's never a dull moment nor lull in the conversation when Matt's in full bloom!

Then there's airshow day! There is a change that happens to the guy when a performance is coming up. I learned the first year we worked together that all yucking stops and it is business time. All business. The planning of an airshow in advance is pretty cut and dry. The planning of an airshow on performance day is truly a ballet between the FAA, fire department, line boss, local air traffic, safety crew and the pilot. There are TONS of things to cover, paper work to triple check, what to do if's, radio frequencies, box times and lastly a VERY brief conversation with me.

Matt is all about not leaving anything to chance. After the FAA rep is satisfied, organizers understand without question what is going to happen and when, the fire department is in position knowing where the box is and best route out of the facility, freqs and radios checked, fuel and smoke fluid are ready and the plane is COMPLETELY pre flighted, Matt usually just looks at everyone and says "Showtime in 30 minutes, any questions?" Then he leaves. Not to get in the plane, just to have some quiet time to prepare. Matt's wife Patty clued me in the first year, "He won't be available for 30 minutes unless it's absolutely necessary." Something as serious as flying aerobatics does require the proper frame of mind. You better be ready!

The performance itself is a real BLAST!! Matt is a showman. Sitting in a badass ride while thousands of folks are waiting to see you fly is a thing you either hate or love. Matt just comes alive! What looks to some as a random bunch of yeeehaws are a clearly choreographed sequence with minimum altitudes/airspeeds for entry. If you notice when Matt is very low he's always fast. Safety safety safety! As I love precision flight, Matt draws lines that leave me in awe. My favorite thing to see Matt do is his ratchet roll sequence. It's a thing of beauty!!

Okay I've gone on for way too long. We're mighty glad to have him on the Giants! We're going to be in his debt for sporting the colors on the visor. We wish our best in the series and look forward to updating as it progresses. GO GET 'EM MATTY BOY!!!

Special thanks goes out to Bryan Zang with Aerographx for the short notice vinyls for Matt.
LeadingEdge is offline Find More Posts by LeadingEdge
Last edited by Biff; 05-29-2006 at 04:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by 3dubya
//////////////////////////////
Stralya - down there aye bloke
Joined Feb 2006
4,283 Posts
Re: Full Scale Huckin'!

wad a tease
3dubya is offline Find More Posts by 3dubya
Old 04-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by quentonious
Joined Jan 2006
73 Posts

WOW TALK ABOUT SPONSERSHIP you guys spared no expense for our little community. no the hole world will know about FLYING GIANTS. WOO HOO!
quentonious is offline Find More Posts by quentonious
Old 04-28-2006, 05:19 AM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

WOW how much is this Leading Edge article worth?? I only thought you were going to spend $50! Anyways, Matt, you're worth every penny.(and more) Keep up the great work!

50%
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Last edited by Biff; 04-28-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 04-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
CAP?? What's that?
Avondale, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
626 Posts

FYI,
Born in Summit, NJ! Lived in Lonon from 1971 to 1979. (11 to 19 years old)
American, and proud of it.
Matt Chapman is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
Old 04-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by Biff
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,223 Posts

Best one we've pulled on Matt,,
As we sat around the pool going over his flight I asked Matt why he changed his music? "What do you mean? Wasn't it What I like about you by the Romantics, Play that Funky Music White boy by Wild Cherry and some other kick butt songs?" No dude, the whole show was flown to I've been through the desert with a horse with no name it felt good to be,,,, by America

Enter Frank Noll,,"Yeah dude, why'd you do that music,,it was kinda lame!"

This went on for a while,,,,, BAAAHHHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Old 04-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by pitviper51
Burn Gas.. Bend wings.
Kentucky
Joined Apr 2006
9,354 Posts

waht no ACDC back in black....
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old 04-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by Texx
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2006
966 Posts

Nice write up Biff! Now that Chapman has stepped up to the plate showing big support for the FlyingGiants, his Lifetime Membership Dues are FREE! I can't wait to see how this Competition unfolds! Matt should take First place the way he has been flying!
Texx is offline Find More Posts by Texx
Old 04-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by McLinux
Mostly fly 4D...(3D + Dirt)
Joined Jan 2006
232 Posts

Go get 'em Matty! After round 1, the top three are separated by less than 1 point!!!!! Matt's in third, only .60 back. Skip Stewart's in first...(but he had to use two wings to muscle his way past Matty)...with 92.65 points...Matt's right there with 92.05. Now if one of the rounds hadn't been cancelled due to weather, I think we all know who'd be out front !!!

Next weekend they'll be in Winston-Salem NC...which is less than a 3 hour drive for at least two of our most notorious mods...who shall remain un-named. So everyone who's close by, please go and check it out...and then give us a full report.

And, JeeUm and Biff, we want pics and vids of the action!

And Matt, we'll see you in Denton in May.
McLinux is offline Find More Posts by McLinux
Old 06-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by snapplane
free stylin
United States, PA, King of Prussia
Joined Jan 2006
140 Posts

Without a doubt the sickest full scale flyer I have seen. Recently at the New Garden airshow in PA he pulled off a rolling harrier right off take off for about 6 or 7 rolls no more than 100ft off the deck.
snapplane is offline Find More Posts by snapplane
Old 06-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by YaKs are BeSt
Joined Jan 2006
490 Posts

Wonder where he got that from???????

Or did we get it from him??????

who was that guy who was a awsome pilot in the ultimate biplane who would do rilling harriers like crazy?
YaKs are BeSt is offline Find More Posts by YaKs are BeSt
Old 06-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts

Isn't he throwin around in an EXTRA 300 SP-RX or something like that???
Go rid of the CAP????
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 06-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by TRuss
GA
Joined Jun 2006
116 Posts

What happened with the ACAP? I guess that's what the XXXX is. They have suspeneded everything.
TRuss is offline Find More Posts by TRuss

Quick Reply