logo
Old 07-09-2015, 02:10 AM
Find More Posts by bogdan.motrici
Joined Feb 2015
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceH View Post
Break in- just don't run lean and not wide open throttle for extended periods. It is actually helpful to run wot for a bit, then let the engine cool. If you never heat up the engine, it doesn't break in much. A 'perfect' break in flight might be to do endless giant loops or cuban eights. OR just fly normal and avoid hovering much lol.

Also not great idea to run without the cowl- the engine can actually run too cool- spark plug may look a little crusty if you do. On the other hand it is good to keep the ignition cool- it'll last longer.
Thx MaceH,
This weekend I think I will mount the cowl but first need to adjust a little bit the CG because now without cowl is nose heavy so with the cowl will be even more. What I want to do and let me know if you think it is feasible, want to measure the temperature of the engine without cowl and after mounting it so can make a difference and see if the exit air it is large enough so I avoid any dead stick.
Cheers,
Bogdan
bogdan.motrici is offline Find More Posts by bogdan.motrici
Old 07-09-2015, 07:51 AM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,053 Posts
Sure Bogdan, if you can measure it, great.

I actually don't know what temperature value is ideal- but I do know that our engines can run too cool.

Just be sure that with the cowl plenty of air hits the cylinder and especially the head fins, and then that the exit area is 3x the inlet area, and you'll be good. WIth no pipe just tunnel exit air should be fine which is good since opening the bottom of the cowl behind the cylinder is a bad idea since because of its shape will exit air poorly.

I ran into a problem on extended uplines where the engine would sag- was warm air into the carburetor- so not a great idea completely closing off the scale air intakes in order to help the outlet air to be just from what passes over the cylinder/head.

What is helpful on singles is that they most always extend through the bottom of cowl so cooling is rarely an issue- its poorly baffled twins that are more likely to have problems.

Mostly, just open up the tunnel, and you'll be good.
MaceH is offline Find More Posts by MaceH
Old 07-09-2015, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,053 Posts
Here is the spark plug jpeg that someone else posted... note the 'too cold' plugs. This chart has been very useful for me.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by bluefear
United States, IL
Joined Feb 2013
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefear View Post
whats the main difference between the electric version vs the gas version?

I bought the gas version but I want to convert it to electric,..

??????
bluefear is offline Find More Posts by bluefear
Old 07-13-2015, 02:25 AM
Joined Feb 2015
25 Posts
Quote:
Sure Bogdan, if you can measure it, great.

I actually don't know what temperature value is ideal- but I do know that our engines can run too cool.

Just be sure that with the cowl plenty of air hits the cylinder and especially the head fins, and then that the exit area is 3x the inlet area, and you'll be good. WIth no pipe just tunnel exit air should be fine which is good since opening the bottom of the cowl behind the cylinder is a bad idea since because of its shape will exit air poorly.

I ran into a problem on extended uplines where the engine would sag- was warm air into the carburetor- so not a great idea completely closing off the scale air intakes in order to help the outlet air to be just from what passes over the cylinder/head.

What is helpful on singles is that they most always extend through the bottom of cowl so cooling is rarely an issue- its poorly baffled twins that are more likely to have problems.

Mostly, just open up the tunnel, and you'll be good.
Thx for info.
Did the test this weekend with the cowl mounted, after 7 minutes flight with an outside temperature of 25-28 degrees my engine had a temperature of 74.6 degrees in almost all parts of the engine except obviously the muffler where I had a 124 degrees so I think I am ok if this is below 90 degrees. With the cowl mounted and 30g of additional weight I did the CG as per manual ( begins at 5.5 and ends at 6.25 ) so I did it at 6.25 and it is just a little bit nose heavy but this is not a problem.
Now with the cowl mounted I noticed that it is a little bit faster and the idle increased a little bit - initially was at 2600 but I decreased at 2100, if I go down engine will stop at a certain point. Question is now, for my OS GT33, with this weekend I think I am having already ~ 8-9l of gasoline with 18X8 which was addressed in the manual as running in propeller to be used so I could go with a bigger one already I think, right? Because I want to decrease a little bit from speed and increase the torque. If I put 20X8 need to adjust again the engine, right? Sorry to ask but I am beginner in gas engines.
Short Video of my Extra 300 78" EF -...
Cheers,
Bogdan
Old 07-13-2015, 01:37 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,602 Posts
I am planning to get one of these nice planes....

just curious.... what are the Outrunner motor mount options???

tnx
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 07-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,053 Posts
Hi Bogdan, you can really move CG back AND help power by not using the stock muffler- it is quite the boat anchor.

Yes 20x8 should be great, 18x8 not near enough prop for the OS. As I recall going to a much bigger prop if anything you'll need to richen mixture a tiny bit but not sure.

BIgger prop will lower all your rpms a lot- especially the idle speed. I did not get good idle on my OS33s unless mixture was quite lean- also with a richish breakin I think my stock muffler was quite plugged. For me all got good when I went to Redline oil and a non-stock side dump muffler.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by Barry Built
United States, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2008
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
I am planning to get one of these nice planes....

just curious.... what are the Outrunner motor mount options???

tnx

Ya! what he said... I'm getting one also.
Barry Built is offline Find More Posts by Barry Built
Old 07-14-2015, 01:49 AM
Joined Feb 2015
25 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bogdan, you can really move CG back AND help power by not using the stock muffler- it is quite the boat anchor.

Yes 20x8 should be great, 18x8 not near enough prop for the OS. As I recall going to a much bigger prop if anything you'll need to richen mixture a tiny bit but not sure.

BIgger prop will lower all your rpms a lot- especially the idle speed. I did not get good idle on my OS33s unless mixture was quite lean- also with a richish breakin I think my stock muffler was quite plugged. For me all got good when I went to Redline oil and a non-stock side dump muffler.
Thx MaceH,
Will order a 20X8 prop, need to look for an adapter as this is 10mm whole and the engine is for the 8mm whole. Will test as well the rpm and temperature and post the results after. Overall I am satisfied with the engine till now, as mentioned very surprised that started at first hand couple of times.
Cheers,
Bogdan