logo
Old 07-03-2007, 12:41 AM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Smoking 101

What smoke pump are you guys using, and the big question, why?? I have an OLD TME (uses an external pack to power, I think...) with a smaller tank, I think around 12 or 14oz. Debating on installing in my 35% just for the Corn Pull at T-Down. I really don't want to buy a pump just for this, or can I get by with just plugging the pump in to the Rx???

Thanks!
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-03-2007, 03:37 AM
Find More Posts by chrisbchips
Huckin it lower!!
Brisbane, QLD, 'Stralia
Joined Jan 2006
683 Posts
Re: Smoking 101

I strongly reccomend using crankcase pressure and a servo operated valve such as the dubro super smoke valve. This is what I have used and there is no chance of leaks. This smokes jsut as much as a pump but lighter with alot less messing around. As for tank, go for the biggest you can fit in the plane, you will go through smoke oil very quickly. I have attached a pic of my 260 with tuned pipes and you can see how much it smokes for yourself:

Good luck!!
chrisbchips is offline Find More Posts by chrisbchips
Old 07-03-2007, 03:41 AM
Find More Posts by 3Dkid330
Fremont, Ca, USA
Joined Jan 2006
266 Posts

Bunky,

On my Yak, I have a Don Harris pump ran right off of the receiver, works great! (two redundant RX packs) The Don Harris is an older pump that has a normal receiver plug wire, (+- and signal) that goes right into the RX. I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever on my setup, very reliable, plus you don't really have to worry about an extra battery for the pump. The pump works great, no electronic flow rate adjustment on it however, just constant speed, so we use a spare needle valve from a glow engine in line with the mufflers to control the rate.

I have what I think is a 20 oz. tank for mine installed with the pump on a tray removable for servicing it inside the cannister tunnel, has plenty of smoke for the select times I use it on a 10 min. flight, so if you're flying shorter times or using the smoke more sparingly, the 12 or 14 oz should work just fine.

Brandon
3Dkid330 is offline Find More Posts by 3Dkid330
Old 07-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts

The smoke will only be for the T-Down show, PERIOD!!!!! I simply HATE smoke. It makes a damn mess on the plane, plus not to mention if you don't have the covering down completely, you run a chance of soaking the wood underneath.......

Now, time to get busy on moving some packs around, and then install a removable tank mount. I'lldouble check everything on the pump and see........
Old 07-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Find More Posts by Silvanskii
Get Some!
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Jan 2006
398 Posts

Slimline Showtime or Sullivan Skywriter (same pumps, different labels) with a 2 cell 800 or 1200 mah Li-Poly on a 32 or 24 oz. smoke tank is the way to go.

But then, you already saw that hehe. Easy to take in and out, reliable operation, and low weight. Also programmable.

Just make sure you throw in at least a couple of check valves. I use two, one on either side of the pump to help it maintain a prime.
Silvanskii is offline Find More Posts by Silvanskii
Old 07-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts

Let me "USE" yours!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

How did house shopping go???
Old 07-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Get Some!
Joined Jan 2006
398 Posts

I've got a Sullivan Skywriter and a 3W smoker here at the homestead if you want to use them!

I found one that has a potentially awesome work area hehe.... Gotta get the old priorities straight!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! I just installed my TME............ Looks like I may have to take it out so I can use your Sullivan............... The Sullivan works off Rx power, right??? I'd rather not install ANOTHER battery pack in my plane!! That would make 5!!!!!!!!!! *BFG*

Lets fly Sunday if possible......... I still have the 35 tore down, hooking up smoke lines, and applying some MonoKote.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvanskii View Post
I've got a Sullivan Skywriter and a 3W smoker here at the homestead if you want to use them!

I found one that has a potentially awesome work area hehe.... Gotta get the old priorities straight!
Priorities?? What are they?????? Mine are........ Get up, go to work, come home, go to bed........ Repeat 5x a week!!! Then get paid 2x a month.....
Old 07-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by ilovemetro
3V0lution
White Lake MI
Joined Jun 2006
1,033 Posts

Smoke system tips:

#1- Don't do it if you don't have a lot of building skills and a lot of patience. smoke systems are probably the hardest thing to keep in working order.
ilovemetro is offline Find More Posts by ilovemetro
Old 07-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Find More Posts by bosshoss
Joined Feb 2006
712 Posts

Bunky, don't use Plane power for your smoke pump.....That little brushed motor could short out and take your plane down. You gotta have a seperate B-Pack if you want to play safe, man.

I us ethe Slimline PFT Showtime all in one pump, radio channel flow rate, and battery. Pump Completely isolated from the plane power system.

https://www.flyinggiants.com/gallery...=28926&cat=504
bosshoss is offline Find More Posts by bosshoss
Old 07-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Get Some!
Joined Jan 2006
398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshoss View Post
Bunky, don't use Plane power for your smoke pump.....That little brushed motor could short out and take your plane down. You gotta have a seperate B-Pack if you want to play safe, man.

I us ethe Slimline PFT Showtime all in one pump, radio channel flow rate, and battery. Pump Completely isolated from the plane power system.

https://www.flyinggiants.com/gallery...=28926&cat=504
Yea I had one of those to. Worked well, and simple setup.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts

Are you guys ever getting interference through your smoke pump? I was trying to get mine set up on my AW 50cc Extra, and I'm getting interference whenever I have a battery attached to the smoke pump (Sullivan). I've tried both a Fromeco Lithium Ion 7.4 volt and a standard 6-volt NiCad battery... the 6-volt is better, but I still got some glitching when range checking. The Fromeco would go into Failsafe at about 20 feet, the Nicad would go into Failsafe about 50 feet. Either was not acceptable.

I tried RF rings today, very little difference. In the end, I just ripped the pump, tank, battery and lines out and decided not to jeopardize a $2500 plane. I'm also setting up an Extreme Flight Yak, maybe I'll try it again in that plane... lots less money tied up in that one.

Any ideas why I would get so much interference? I've got my electrical systems completely separate, and the pump was installed about 6 inches away from the receiver.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 07-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Get Some!
Joined Jan 2006
398 Posts

I'd say you have a bum smoker. I would have tried separating the smoker from the RX and seeing if that made a difference first. I take it the airplane was fine during the range check until you turned the pump on correct?

I like to do a range check with a new smoker when I put it in but I haven't had any problems running Slimline, Sullivan, TME, and a windshield washer fluid pump that worked surprisingly well. I also try and make sure there is as much clearance as the balance will allow.

Does the pump run consistently? It sounds like there's a short or something in there throwing out RF. Maybe a bad extension or plug? Does it sit near servos or other wiring? These would be the things I would check.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:52 AM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts

Actually, the interference was there without the pump running! If I unplugged the pump from the receiver, everyting was fine. The pump did sit close to my rudder servo, about 2 inches away.

I'll give it another try with the Yak I'm building, but this has been strange.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545

Quick Reply