Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > News and Announcements > Leading Edge Homepage Article Discussions
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 07-24-2014, 05:03 AM   #1996
sherman89
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRKO
View Post
......as long as we are asking questions:

!. What is the best way to remove the blind nuts in the firewall? I am mounting a DLE-61 and they do not match up so I need to drill some new holes and fill in the old ones. Anyone have a DLE-61 mounting diagram? Already looked in the DLE manual that came with the engine.
just put a mounting bolt into the blind nut and knock it back inside the motor box, make sure to hit the bolt square on.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #1997
Gixxerjack
Doo It! Doo It!

Quote: Originally Posted by Rusty 73
View Post
If you got for $35 for that set thats a great buy for that price i would add the system in my plane , Did you get the smoke oil with the purchase or buy locally .

Rusty
I used Super-Dri smoke oil and that went pretty fast and it's $26 a gallon. Then I used a home brew of mineral oil and diesel. That's about $12 gallon. Smokes the same too. I mix it at 3/1 mineral oil to diesel. Baby oil is mineral oil with fragrance added so...
Gixxerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #1998
Rusty 73
Flyin low and Smooth

That sounds like an interesting brew mineral oil and diesel a lot cheaper than 26 per gallon . Have you tried mineral oil with kerosene that might work as well . Back years ago we were using just straight kerosene into a two stroke muffler and it work well !
Bandegraphix
Thunderbolt R/C
Rusty 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #1999
CaptRKO
Fly it like you stole it!

Quote: Originally Posted by sherman89
View Post
just put a mounting bolt into the blind nut and knock it back inside the motor box, make sure to hit the bolt square on.
That was my plan until I discovered the DLE-55 matches up perfectly to the DA-60 mount holes.....so I bought a DLE-55 and problem solved!

Ill use the DLE-61 in something else
CaptRKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #2000
CaptRKO

Just mounted the rudder....not fun trying to get the wire through all the "holes"
Old 07-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #2001
Gixxerjack
Doo It! Doo It!

I tried to do it the old-fashioned way, by hand. I then read in the instructions to use a cordless drill and VIOLA! Job done. I messed with it for nearly an hour...

Jack
Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #2002
BlinkguY
Doo It! Doo It!

Messed with it for about 20 min. By hand. I was lucky
BlinkguY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #2003
Rusty 73
Flyin low and Smooth

Quote: Originally Posted by BlinkguY
View Post
Messed with it for about 20 min. By hand. I was lucky
I messed the first wire up so i had to get a new wire and thread it by hand
Rusty
Bandegraphix
Thunderbolt R/C
Old 07-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #2004
rightflyer
Gettin' Lower!

Rusty
Same here. Mine original wire get bent so I started over with a new one. My hinges were not lining up well so I did some work to sure they aligned perfectly. Wire went through much easier.
rightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #2005
CaptRKO

After getting the wire done...and rudder mounted is there anything else that sticks out during the builds that is not so easy?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #2006
BlinkguY
Doo It! Doo It!

Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRKO
View Post
After getting the wire done...and rudder mounted is there anything else that sticks out during the builds that is not so easy?
Evwrything else is pretty much straight forward
BlinkguY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #2007
Rusty 73
Flyin low and Smooth

Quote: Originally Posted by rightflyer
View Post
Rusty
Same here. Mine original wire get bent so I started over with a new one. My hinges were not lining up well so I did some work to sure they aligned perfectly. Wire went through much easier.
I believe mine bent as well , sharpened the tip and everything slipped together
Bandegraphix
Thunderbolt R/C
Old 07-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #2008
Gixxerjack
Doo It! Doo It!

Everything is solid. Watch the possible pinching of the elevator servos in the wells. They're shallow. I would reinforce the aileron servo wells with epoxy before installation. Drill small holes in te upper corners of the mounts and inject epoxy. It'll save heartache later. Check the separation of the wing mounts on the fuselage sides as you tighten the wing bolts. reinforce with triangle stock. Some have noticed that the firewall may start to separate after 50+ flights. Reinforce with finishing epoxy and fiberglass cloth. Just my 2cents. Nearing 200 flights. Love this plane!

Jack