logo
This thread is privately moderated by mtndewdewd, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Discussion
2013 IMAC Season

Well, here goes. A blog. What have I come to? Not that I ever had a "man card" - but if by some chance I did, it will surely be gone after this. What's next for me? Twatter? I sure hope not

A little history first I guess. I started flying RC in 1999 in the middle of learning how to fly Full Scale. While getting my Private Pilot's license, this gave me a way to "mess" with aviation in between training flights. I started with a .40 Hobbico Glow plane. Flew it once in the desert and then a 2nd time in a community park at which time it went over the wall and was destroyed That was my 1st "learning" when it came to R/C. Join a club and fly where there is room!

After that, I went 3 or 4 years flying full scale and no R/C. I tried a small electric when they 1st came out and never really got it in the air. Bought a Stik and equipped it with the equipment from the original Hobbico - Yes, including the battery - do I have to say "2nd Lesson Learned"? Charged it up, took off and 30 seconds in it locked up and crashed. Didn't know then, but do now, that the battery was shot.

Fast forward to 2008 and I bought a Turbine. Yes, this is why there is a Waiver process. To keep idiots like me from killing themselves and others. I learned a lot about setup, radio setup, how to start/stop the turbine - etc. But, I was smart enough to never try to fly it. I sold the plane, but kept the DX7. I bought a nice Stik .60 and made 10-15 flights on it at SVF. During these 10-15 flights was when I saw someone with a GIANT plane and thought how cool it looked. I didn't know at the time, but it was someone practicing for an IMAC event.

Fast forward to after my wedding (hint hint) and now Feb 2009. I found and bought a Wild Hare Extra with a Brison 4.something. After 4 or 5 flights with an instructor at our field (and 4 or 5 dead-sticks) The plane was sold and I bought a TOC with a 3W 110. 1 flight with the instructor to trim it out, and it never flew again. Scared to crash that much $$ I sold it. In the summer of 2009 I picked up a WildHare Extra with a DA-85. It ran rough in the mid-range and had a tendency to dead-stick on final/flare. After lots of help from guys at the field, it was sent to DA - and they found junk in the carb that had to be steamed out. Never flew again and it was sold.

Seeing a theme here? Anyway, 10 years in R/C, 10+ planes and under 50 flights. Fast forward to May of 2010. Found a deal on a 42% Aeroworks Edge w/ 3W-170. Bought it and got it trimmed out by another pilot and flew it 10 times or so. I was officially training for an IMAC event - not sure when, but I knew I wanted to do it. On the 11th flight, dead-stick.. landed and adjusted the carbs. Next flight, dead-stick, thought to be running lean, adjusted the carb. 3rd flight, dead-stick just after lift-off, could not get it back around - total airframe loss. Sent motor to AI - sucked in the gasket and was told - no problem, that's normal for these . Sold everything, and in August, found a deal on a Carden 40% edge w/ DA-150. NOW I was an IMAC Pilot. Carden Airframe, DA engine. Look out now! On August 23rd of 2011 my Daughter was born Even with a newborn, I was able to practice enough to make it to the Florence IMAC event in November of 2011. Finished in 5th place in BASIC and got my first WOOD!

Now I was HOOKED! I practiced over the winter (10-15 flights) and was ready to go for the 2012 season. I missed the first few events due to baby life, but was able to make it to the Cactus Classic in Spring of 2012. Finished in 4th in BASIC. Was signed up for, and was unable to make 4 more contests in 2012. Bought a CARF 3.3 Yak hoping the size and slowness would HELP my flying - it did the opposite. Sold the Edge and bought a Carden Extra 300 126" w/ DA-200. Have about 25-30 flights on it as of now.

So - we are here - current day. WHEW... what a trip. Hard to write all of that actually. Not sure if what I went through was a normal progression or if I am one of the lucky few to take the very HARD road to "proficient R/C Pilot". I can get up and down and fly safe. I know the systems, trimming, good habits, etc.

As far as my GOALS for 2013 - they are pretty simple. Have fun, and bring my plane home in 1-piece after each contest.

As far as my WISHES for 2013, asI am sure everyone else is, I would love to take at least 2 Contests, take the IRPS title, Qualify for the Worlds Fly-off in August and Qualify for and fly in the Tucson Shootout.

Now, given my history, is any of that possible? Probably not, but as I sit here now, that is what I am planning for. I have Spousal and Financial backing to put the time in and make the events - now it is just a matter of following through with the plans. I hope the rest of this BLOG follows a "successful" path and does not repeat the "troublesome" path that I have taken up to this point.

Wish me luck, and check back often.
mtndewdewd is offline Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
Last edited by mtndewdewd; 12-31-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
I'm impressed John!! For as little as you have actually flown I have to say you fly pretty well!!! Good luck my friend!!
mbacosa is offline Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Find More Posts by futile flight
stick banger
United States, FL, Plant City
Joined Jul 2011
1,627 Posts
man thats alot of airframes and $$$
futile flight is offline Find More Posts by futile flight
Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Straight huckin' !!
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futile flight View Post

He didn't mention the turbine powered Raven. I'd cringe at the total dollars per flight in his RC flying career to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndewdewd View Post
As far as my WISHES for 2013, as I am sure everyone else is, I would love to take at least 2 Contests, take the IRPS title, Qualify for the Worlds Fly-off in August and Qualify for and fly in the Tucson Shootout.

We've finally gotten you into an appropriate airframe and engine for IMAC. I'm hoping you can really put in the practice and contests necessary to make progress towards those "wishes".

I'll be there to provide any coaching you want, John.

Quote:
As far as my GOALS for 2013 - they are pretty simple. Have fun, and bring my plane home in 1-piece after each contest.

I had those same two "goals" in 2012 and had a great time this year!! My goals are the same next year and I'm looking forward to having a blast in the 2013 IMAC season!!

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress next year.
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Last edited by Dean Bird; 12-15-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Horse Power Saves Planes!
Magnolia, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
2,286 Posts
You're on the right track. Now go burn lots & lots of gallons!!!
Fixed Wing is offline Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Old 12-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by Badams
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts
I hope you can make every contest this year John.
If I can ever be of help... just ask.
Bill
Badams is offline Find More Posts by Badams
Old 12-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badams View Post
Bill

I can say for certain that Bill is easily one of the best coaches you will come across!! Bend his ear, you will learn a lot!! He helped me tremendously! Thanks again for all your help Bill!
mbacosa is offline Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 12-21-2012, 11:32 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbacosa View Post
I'm impressed John!! For as little as you have actually flown I have to say you fly pretty well!!! Good luck my friend!!
Thanks, I need it
Old 12-21-2012, 11:34 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futile flight View Post
Airframes are cheap, except the YAK I have been lucky and with selling / trading part and pieces I have got through it without taking too much of a bath. The Yak hurt... but it taught me a lot.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Bird View Post
He didn't mention the turbine powered Raven. I'd cringe at the total dollars per flight in his RC flying career to date.

We've finally gotten you into an appropriate airframe and engine for IMAC. I'm hoping you can really put in the practice and contests necessary to make progress towards those "wishes".

I'll be there to provide any coaching you want, John.

I had those same two "goals" in 2012 and had a great time this year!! My goals are the same next year and I'm looking forward to having a blast in the 2013 IMAC season!!

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress next year.
I'm ready to and welcome any help I can get!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed Wing View Post
You're on the right track. Now go burn lots & lots of gallons!!!
I thought about it the other day. Since starting IMAC - I have gone through less than 20 gallons. That's probably not a lot is it? for 3 years?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:37 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Bill
Thanks Bill. You can help by:

1) Start flying out of SVF

2) STOP training my competition!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Airframes are cheap, except the YAK I have been lucky and with selling / trading part and pieces I have got through it without taking too much of a bath. The Yak hurt... but it taught me a lot.
Who here by show of hands thinks that John's wife reads these threads and that is why he answered this way.................................
HOLY CRAP, I CAN'T COUNT THAT HIGH......
Old 12-22-2012, 05:51 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Who here by show of hands thinks that John's wife reads these threads and that is why he answered this way.................................
HOLY CRAP, I CAN'T COUNT THAT HIGH......
She wouldn't be caught dead on a RC site!

I won't even count the glow stuff - all of that together was under 1,000....

The Edge was 2400 and I got about 1800 out of the "stuff"... there is 600...

The Yak was 5500 and I got about 2,000 out of it... so about 3500 loss on that one OUCH!!

So, about 5K in losses... I guess that is a lot huh... I guess I never put it all together and looked at it in sum... hmmm. I am off to the liquor store. Thanks Bill
Old 12-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts
blah blah blah... my wife says everything cost $5.00.
I trained her well........maybe she is from Stepford......

Quick Reply