logo
This thread is privately moderated by niccolo98, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by flyingklown
The Lonely Squire of Clinton
Alabama, Georiga, N & S Carolina, NYC, El Paso, TX, Connecticut
Joined Jan 2006
1,000 Posts
Re: Not taken seriously!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo98 View Post
Hey,
I love flying! I love everything about it, from 3D to pattern to full scale ! I like to show other people that i love flying to! Thing is, im in high school and whenever people ask me what i like to do i say: "well, i fly" and then its this long story , and in the end it looks like im a "geek" or "loser"! The only people who take me seriously are my friends, and my ice-hockey team! Does this happen to any of you high school students too? And what do you do about it? I dont mind people laughing at me saying i fly toy planes and stuff, but I was just wondering if this happens to you guys too! I take pride in flying, and will never lose my love for it, no matter what people tell me! Just wanted to know if this happens to you too!?
Best regards,
nick

They are all just jealous. Seek out more fliers in School. I am sure there are some. If not turn them on to it!
Start your own click!
flyingklown is offline Find More Posts by flyingklown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by thewrap
I had it, but then I lost it.
Highland Village Texas
Joined Feb 2006
1,884 Posts

yeah, my Mom ends up keeping pictures of my planes and me at her work and thats how I made a friend in the hobby. But the others that I meet are mostly heli flyers. It looks like helis are more popular than planes.
thewrap is offline Find More Posts by thewrap
Old 03-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Find More Posts by Lizano
Joined Jan 2006
67 Posts

aeromodelismo NO ES PARA GENTE COMUN!!!!.....! Requiere habilidad , dinero, y perseverancia!!!.....(OK NOT FOR EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!, just for winners!:nanahump:
Lizano is offline Find More Posts by Lizano
Old 03-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Find More Posts by ouch!
Its fokker time
Baltimore
Joined Jan 2006
378 Posts

Most of the kids I hang out with are either rednecks or mechanically inclined so they have a respect for what I do. I never really brought up my hobby, other than kids in my school asking about the pictures of planes on my binder.
ouch! is offline Find More Posts by ouch!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by leblanc
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts

I see there are a lot of people all in the same situation. Wow, for a while (about 4 years ago) I thought I was the only kid that flew at my young age, 12 that was when I started (17 now). I was always left out. It was really hard, because when I first got into the hobby, I had just moved across the country to BC from Quebec. And well didn't know anyone one else except for my mother and brothers. When I first got into the new school I had started flying CL planes, I just didn't have the money for RC. Was alot of fun, through the year I learned everything about wings, engines, motors, battery's ect ect... Was most likely the year where I had learned the most in my life! And well after about 2 years, I still didn't really have a social life, so I keeped the airplane thing to myself. I made a couple friends, none that were really good ones but anyways. After I changed to a new school, (about 1200 students), I knew I would catch a couple people that would be interested. So what I did, was take a foamy to school. During lunch and after school I would fly a couple of flights. Yeah, there were the people that threw rocks at my plane while I was practicing my hovering DOD. But then about 2 weeks later, there were starting to be a lot of people sitting on the benches looking at me. Some teachers, students, and some elderly people. With that I made a few really good friends, and well they think the hobby is really cool, they just don't want to spend the money into it. So now one of them is my camera man. He is such a good camera recorder, doing full throttle square loops, he gets it all without loosing a wingtip in the screen. Now about everyone knows that I fly planes, I have a crowd to hang out with and can discuss planes with them, just not too far into it, they don't know as much as us RC'ers do :P . So really cool.

Now that I look back at what I did back then, I should of never bothered of what the others thought or said, every time I flew I just had a ball! No matter what other people say, and that you love the hobby.... Get out and fly!! =)

LB
leblanc is offline Find More Posts by leblanc
Old 03-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by thewrap
I had it, but then I lost it.
Highland Village Texas
Joined Feb 2006
1,884 Posts

Yeah, when I trasferred schools I didn't really say anything but the first reply I got about my hobby was from a picture that I had in my locker. Sometimes it's hard to talk about the hobby with people who don't really understand.
thewrap is offline Find More Posts by thewrap
Old 06-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by MagnusL
Joined Jun 2007
17 Posts

Yeah, I know what you feel, most of my ''friends'' don't understand it, they think it's like for little kids or something. And then I understand, that they can't understand the hobby, they're IQ is too small for that, and they're never going to accomplish anything in they're lives.
Although, I have a very good friend, and he's in the hobby too.
MagnusL is offline Find More Posts by MagnusL
Old 06-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,152 Posts

I owned a 1947 Aeronca Champ in high school. I got it for 1500 bucks because the right side had been hailed on. (small stuff) My Dad and I recovered it and put a slick new white with red color scheme on it. I got given a set of single aileron (lower wing only) Pitts wings soon after that. The guy said if I got them out of his hanger I could have them. Well, a little horse trading and I got rid of them for a complete, uncovered S1 airframe complete with flat tires and rust. It was a couple of years later and it was test flown by a man in Burnet, Texas. I flew it for the first time when I was almost 18. Most of my "real" aircraft flying was kept to myself. My modeling activity was well known and a lot of the guys razzed me about my toys. In a class room discussion where a few of the guys were giving me a hard time, I finally had a chance to show them what they were missing. I offered to take up my English teacher one afternoon after school and the rest of the class showed up to witness this. A 65 horse Champ is not exactly your aerobatic steed but with a little leading and coaxing you can get a fairly decent loop and drop off a bunch of altitude in a power off dive. The dive was followed by a pull-out to level and her skinny butt was pressed into the seat bottom so hard I swear she had cross-hatch pattern on the back of her legs for a week. When we landed I broke out a Skylark 56 with an O.S. 30 on it out of the hangar. I proceeded to do the same things with the model that I subjected my English teacher to. They were all impressed and gave me no further grief from that point on. In my yearbook I was voted "most likely to become an astronaut." Never quite made the astronaut corps but I still fly a real bird every so often and I fly my big models every other day or so. Do your own thing with your planes and pass on what you know to others that are interested. I fly with my 17 year old son every weekend and he's way better than I am. I've been a NATS competitor and have trophies out the wazoo but the biggest kick I get is him flying with me every time I go out. Keeps us close! Happy flying!
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 06-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Find More Posts by mavacpjm71
Washington
Joined Jun 2006
497 Posts

You know what, who cares what others think....its a hobby, its what you love to do....and thats all that matters....if they think its kiddish, or geeky...well let them think what they want, not everyone will appreciate the hobby...and life goes on
mavacpjm71 is offline Find More Posts by mavacpjm71
Old 06-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Find More Posts by porcupineace
Joined Feb 2007
1,223 Posts

porcupineace is offline Find More Posts by porcupineace
Last edited by porcupineace; 06-14-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by colorblaster88
Psssssssss.....dribble-dribble
CenCali
Joined Feb 2007
11 Posts

Could've, would've, should've- Don't be that person! Do what you love in life because life is short. I'm happy to hear the stories and the support from the FG members because what they are saying is the solemn truth. In a few years you'll be like most of us- working stiffs. Trust me, there is nothing more rehabilitating than twitching the sticks and watching, hearing, smelling that plane fly by with no thoughts about the outside world.
colorblaster88 is offline Find More Posts by colorblaster88
Old 08-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by Koenieboy
Belgium
Joined Jan 2006
25 Posts

In Belgium the flying RC planes hobby is very small, and not well known. At school I was the only one doing the hobby, so I was a little weird for a lot of guys. Flying is stupid, boring and lonely to do. I invited a few friends to my club, at the moment then they hadn't much to say. It was a good and there were a lot clubmembers flying. We laughed a lot and it was cool day. Afterwards they were telling at school that it was fun!!

Personally I like to do something else than going out every weekend, get drunk and sleep the whole day after. During vacations you can't spent every day in town, and living without a project or goal in life is boring. Fellow classmembers spent a lot of time behind PC games and useless things. With this hobby you can learn a lot, keep yourself busy at home. Being busy socially at the flying field. What is the difference between drinking beers at the clubhouse or at a café . At our clubhouse beers are cheaper than at a café Another reason to keep on Flyin !! Don't lose motivation doing this hobby as other laugh with it. Think: they do what everybody is doing, that's boring and not a challenge. We do something else and we can make a challenge of this hobby
Koenieboy is offline Find More Posts by Koenieboy
Old 08-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by RCER123
Joined Jun 2007
997 Posts

Yea that has happened to me! You dont see many people from Ireland here on flying giants but theres always one!! Being 15 is a whole different story!! I love Rc Flying, most of my friends say they dont have much "time" for it, mainly involved in sports like rugby and soccer. I love them to but this is a hobby I know I will keep on for ages! Although there is the odd few that do like Rc stuff, small little planes and helis! Many if Rc gets involved with schools it make "take off"! Anyways I will stick to my guns and keep the hobby, ! Also is great being involved with the Flying Giants and having other guys my age who like the hobby, Jack!
RCER123 is offline Find More Posts by RCER123

Quick Reply