logo
Old 06-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Find More Posts by jfassino
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Sep 2007
62 Posts
Re: Hangar 9 Pitts 12R "The Beast"

Wango Tango

May not be the first but look here about 5 PM on Thursday and you will see pictures of mine climbing out of the crate.

Jim
jfassino is offline Find More Posts by jfassino
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by Kaveman
ont,ca,usa
Joined Jul 2007
340 Posts

lets see it
Kaveman is offline Find More Posts by Kaveman
Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Sep 2006
3,990 Posts

My friend just got notice his shipped. He already has his DA-120 on the bench waiting on the Beast.
cjcyclesrc is offline Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
Old 06-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by askforplanes
3D Giants
Virginia
Joined Dec 2007
1,069 Posts

Thought I'd post this for those interested http://radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?p=2438141

JP
askforplanes is offline Find More Posts by askforplanes
Old 06-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by richafflerback
United States, NJ, Willingboro
Joined Oct 2008
131 Posts

I was told I should have mine either today or tomorrow
richafflerback is offline Find More Posts by richafflerback
Old 06-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by gbarnes27
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts

I just got mine in and thought we were gonna have to refuse the box. Looks like someone smashed one side with a fork from a fork lift. After checking everything out it seems we are good to go now.
gbarnes27 is offline Find More Posts by gbarnes27
Old 06-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,152 Posts

gbarns,
Close call on that smashed box! I do believe we have our first official Beast box siteing on this one guys! Anybody have some pics of what's inside!!?? Our LHS told me they were getting one but had no idea about an ETA on it. Patiently waiting..........
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 06-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by gbarnes27
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts

I didn't take pics of what was in the box but I did unpack everything to make sure it wasn't damaged. They also sent a free plane cover which was nice. Everything was packed very nice. Wings and hardware were in separate box. Fuse, Rudder, Tank, and Gear are in the main box. I will start on my building on Thursday. I have a DLE111, Hitec 7955's all way around. Sullivan smoke, AR9200 power system for electronics.
gbarnes27 is offline Find More Posts by gbarnes27
Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by Brave
Joined Jan 2008
222 Posts

Just recieved the beast for a customer and inspected it for damage. Sorry to hear that your's was damaged. It came as three packages all taped together Fed Ex. All's well, but it appears to be his prior design with just a few changes. Still a very light build for the weight of a 100+cc chunk of engine. Would have liked to see the landing gear area and forward compents of the structure beefed up a bit but that's where a little custom fab work will help. Over all it's not just a recovered Pitts 12... It's a BEAST!! With enough success maybe they will not only release the 2nd run of these birds toward the end of this year, but Horizon may keep em in stock!!
Brave is offline Find More Posts by Brave
Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by richafflerback
United States, NJ, Willingboro
Joined Oct 2008
131 Posts

Just got the call mines in at the hobby shop I'll pick it up after work today.
richafflerback is offline Find More Posts by richafflerback
Old 06-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Amsoil Dealer
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2006
3,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave View Post
Just recieved the beast for a customer and inspected it for damage. Sorry to hear that your's was damaged. It came as three packages all taped together Fed Ex. All's well, but it appears to be his prior design with just a few changes. Still a very light build for the weight of a 100+cc chunk of engine. Would have liked to see the landing gear area and forward compents of the structure beefed up a bit but that's where a little custom fab work will help. Over all it's not just a recovered Pitts 12... It's a BEAST!! With enough success maybe they will not only release the 2nd run of these birds toward the end of this year, but Horizon may keep em in stock!!

Just curious, but why do you think the landing gear structure needs beefed up more? I'm all ears here, just curious as to why you think it needs to be strengthened.

I had two Pythons, both which had DA100s on them and one which I converted to a DA85, and had no issues out of either, even after a really hard pancake practicing for the Shootout a couple years ago.

Thanks,

Seth
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by scott m lyons
GOT GAS ?
Bennington VT.
Joined Aug 2008
6,798 Posts

Barn speed just called me and two arrived !!!
scott m lyons is offline Find More Posts by scott m lyons
Old 06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by SportFlyer
Back at it again...
Joined Feb 2008
1,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave View Post

Wow !!! Full service kitchen in the hobby shop...now that's a concept !!!

SportFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer
Old 06-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by Brave
Joined Jan 2008
222 Posts

Seth,
I've seen three, as you would call them, "pancake" landings with this airframe. I say this because there's no possible way that this airframe could hold up to a pancake landing without fairly major interior damage. It glides like a brick if engine loss occures, i.e... intake gasket sucked into engine... but it's not ment to glide well... Accidents do happen. And no, this was not my plane. All but one was rated as fairly hard. Upon all three, I notice major damage to the entire airframe. Obviously, planes arn't ment to withstand this type of damege but others fair far better. Even the lightest downing that looked as if minimal damage occured proved to consist of much worse interior issues. Easy fixes for a skilled or novice builder but non the less I'm just providing the facts. Still love the bird and like what Qui Qui has put out there as I've spoked with him on an off over the years. It's a great lightweight bird that has awesome preformance capabilities and is constructed in such a way to maximize it's potiential. It's just after actually working on them that I notice some areas of "personal preference areas" that I would re-design, as like most builders. Again, it's a great bird and I do understand that planes arn't ment to withstand anything more than good landings.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth View Post
Just curious, but why do you think the landing gear structure needs beefed up more? I'm all ears here, just curious as to why you think it needs to be strengthened.

I had two Pythons, both which had DA100s on them and one which I converted to a DA85, and had no issues out of either, even after a really hard pancake practicing for the Shootout a couple years ago.

Thanks,

Seth
Old 06-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by Brave
Joined Jan 2008
222 Posts

Yeah, I'm trying to see how I can add "The Beast" to the menu. It's a pretty big store 15k sq ft. that even has a huge antique bar for beer, wine, and rootbeer!! What more does the customer need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFlyer View Post
Wow !!! Full service kitchen in the hobby shop...now that's a concept !!!

Quick Reply