logo
Old 01-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by hotrods72
Joined Nov 2007
13 Posts
81'' Super Chipmunk engine cc?

Im a newbee to giant scale,if you were to call,81'' such..?I want to go gas/premix due to cost of nitro and avalibility in my area.Im not sure what size engine to put on this aircraft,im also on a tight budget so goin with used is not out the question.I was thinkin about the zenhoa 38,but not sure with so much to choose.Any advice would be great.thanks in advance.
hotrods72 is offline Find More Posts by hotrods72
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Find More Posts by stommerd27
Low and Slow Baby!!
Glyndon, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2008
967 Posts
Re: 81'' Super Chipmunk engine cc?

The Zenoah is a heavy engine. If I were you I would look for a use DA 50. You can find these quite often at swaps very reasonable and they weigh about half as much as the G38 and have twice as much power. Its always nice to have to use throttle management.
Shane
stommerd27 is offline Find More Posts by stommerd27
Old 02-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Find More Posts by diveredd
California
Joined Jan 2007
91 Posts

DA-50 or a Brillelli 46 if you're on a tight budget.
diveredd is offline Find More Posts by diveredd
Old 02-08-2008, 03:58 AM
Find More Posts by Jonathan Ott
Will fly for food.
United States, VA, Gloucester Point
Joined Jan 2006
1,076 Posts

I have a brand spanking new Venom 45 for sale that woudld be a great powerplant for that airplane.

PM me for details.

Jon
Jonathan Ott is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Ott
Old 06-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by SENEKAfive
Joined Oct 2007
104 Posts

what do you want to do with it, the weight and what kind of
circles your planing on. for circle flying use a O.S 1.60 or 26cc gasser. if not get a 45cc
SENEKAfive is offline Find More Posts by SENEKAfive
Old 06-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by Gordo
LEFT COAST BUILDER
United States, WY, Powell
Joined Mar 2008
392 Posts

My chipy is an ohio kit .its about 4 years old now i put a brisson 3.2 on it. I gota tell ya I have a 3w 28i and a 3w 100 and the brisson runs just as good and very smooth not much vvviiiibbbrrraaatttiion. I am very pleased with it , ITS A SHOW STOPPER! also a 81" good luck
Gordo is offline Find More Posts by Gordo
Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by rica1
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2006
72 Posts

A lightweight 40cc would be a good choice, such as a Brison 2.4. It's lighter than the G38. With the G38 you will need to move everything as back as possible as it will be nose heavy unless the G38 has a converted elect ignition. Let us know what you decide. Rick
rica1 is offline Find More Posts by rica1
Old 09-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by bosshoss
Joined Feb 2006
712 Posts

A good friend (old-timer), had one that was a real show-stopper. G-38 , no spring starter, (weight , you know), and a B&B crankcase smoke pump system...old style with the valve-servo, and adjustment screw on the valve.

It was a screaming, barnstorming, show-stopping sight to behold....

You do not need to overpower this plane at all, it is for scale barnstorming aerobatics, sunday flyer style. It was one of those planes that everyone who saw it fly , myself included, smile. Screaming low passes crabbing all the way, smoke blasting....very cool.

The plane was made for the G-38 , all the way. No spring stater, use a CH ignition jump-start, or a gear driven starter. Or you could try to flip it fast enough by hand.....it can be done.
bosshoss is offline Find More Posts by bosshoss
Old 09-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by zoomer260
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

I did not see a particular kit mentioned in the original post. If it is the ARF I understand that with a 1.60 it requires a pound of lead in the nose to to balance.

DL-50 good choice also for budget minded builds.
zoomer260 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer260
Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by rica1
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2006
72 Posts

The Ohio Super Chipmunk is a build up kit. Ohio is not in business any more and has been take over by Precision Kit cutters on the East Coast I believe. The G38 was a popular engine for it back then but made it very nose heavy. The lightweight 40 to 50cc engines now would be a nice match and lighten the wing loading. It is a very fun to fly plane and with it's short tail moment does nice Lomcevaks and inverted flat spins. It's very stable and has no bad habits fast or slow.
rica1 is offline Find More Posts by rica1
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by Dhammond
Flyin' Around
Ottawa , Ontario , Canada
Joined Mar 2006
7 Posts

I had a GP Chippy with a ZDZ 40 and it was Awesome ... weighed in at 13.5 ready to fly.
Needed a side mount Inverted muffler to keep cowling fron being to opened up, got it at Abell.
It was a Fantastic Combo!
Dhammond is offline Find More Posts by Dhammond
Old 04-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Joined Nov 2007
13 Posts

thank you guy,you have been very helpful,Ill give a quick update.Last yrs air show swap,I found a G38 w/pitts pipe,universal mount,nose cone,for 150,sweet,so i couldt pass it up,cause everything else like lowes 50 was 500 bucks,IM on a budget remember.anyways,located nice clean 20x8 prop 15bucks,not to mention new carb w/choke,25 bucks,and put me flying at total cost just over 600 bucks with all the gear to go with.So,I was so nervous 1st trip out I didnt even fly It cause no one was out,just Incase I crashed someone could witness the desaster with me.But alls well,2nd flight out,did pre flight and let her rip and stright sa an arrow the tail wheel raised she picked up speed 1/4 runway she was climbing with just slight touch on the stick,(By this time now my knee are literally shaking so bad thier rattling)lol,,at 3/4 throtle and one click trimmed on left,it was dead straight,rocksolid plane .Only had to calm down to bring it back in so I went for some low flybys,man that thing was so cool,with the pitts it really sang at ful throtle.SSweet,my buddy kept sayn.Got alot of thumbs up with it,But G38 Is heavy,took 3 oz on the tail and was kinda tricky to land.Figured out that 1/4 throtle flyby at start of runway let it fall just slightly and I woulld kill throtle and it would grease rite in.Most fun plane but only heavy weight made for repairs on grassy runway,it cant handle the pot holes,one stut took such hard hit it broke left wing on take off,but it stayed together on flight and got back in with out a crash,now fire wall is tryin to separete due to dead stick(was out a gas...duh)and just short,i mae 10ft from makein runway,,into 5ft wheat field,end over end she goes,all in all 5 trips out about 15 good fly hrs untill then,wow that thing looked so real ,It was very cool,still goin fix,postin thread on firewall repair..thanks so much for the awsome info.
, and yes it is a show stopper,it draws a crowd everywere i go,I just cant stop grinin when I see it fly,It such a joy to watch and fly, I will fixer and fly just dont got the time with my 2.5 yr old Im try go electronic ignition this year ,please any info is greatly helpful and thank to all you great people for a great hobby...
Last edited by hotrods72; 04-02-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Find More Posts by pure micshef
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2007
255 Posts

Bin the 38 and go the DL 50 should be cheaper now the 55 is out!
pure micshef is offline Find More Posts by pure micshef
Old 04-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Joined Nov 2007
13 Posts

AS for flying,Im not good enough for any 3d,but my *fly to crash ratio* is not bad.Only 1 fatality out of 15 planes,(alerons were reversed)
Budget is the biggest thing kept in mind.Just cant find anything under 250,or I would get a 50cc or so.All in all,I can save 1.3lbs by going electronic ignition.By no means is it a 3d plaine but it flys very good even with the heavy 38,Like I said im no pro but I like to sport fly.It does look cool in the air.Cant wait to get it back together.Maybe after spring.Thanks agin for all the help.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts

MVVS or Evolution 40 ..................... perfectamundo
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Last edited by MODE 1; 04-09-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spelt perfectamundo wrong

Quick Reply