logo
Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by Spridal
Joined May 2010
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2walla View Post
In my opinion it is the biggest marketing mistake that they could have ever made.. Note the warning at the bottom that they are not going to be backwards compatable with the previous dsm or dsmx receivers. I won't be replacing my 12x with a new JR radio that wont talk to my 25 dsm and dsmx receivers. When it dies I will either switch to spektrum or go back to futaba.
Ditto... A Futaba move is looking better and better.
Spridal is offline Find More Posts by Spridal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by Spridal
Joined May 2010
591 Posts
Looks like the entire line has gone to the transformer look. Also, doesn't appear that a 12 channel is available.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w.../:cp=1/:ip=9/:
Spridal is offline Find More Posts by Spridal
Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Find More Posts by Efishensea
F - IT !!!!
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Jul 2008
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
Ah come'on! Another JR 2.4 protocol? This is getting ridiculous.

Correct me if I am wrong? But, I think JR has been using Spektrums DSM2 & DSMX Protocol this whole time and now they have their own?
Efishensea is offline Find More Posts by Efishensea
Old 04-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by Efishensea
F - IT !!!!
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Jul 2008
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spridal View Post
Looks like the entire line has gone to the transformer look. Also, doesn't appear that a 12 channel is available.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w.../:cp=1/:ip=9/:
Klingon War Ships... Lol...Fuugly
Efishensea is offline Find More Posts by Efishensea
Old 04-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by CEThomas
My life needs editing.
United States, OH, Amanda
Joined Apr 2008
2,889 Posts
As a JR guy since 1990, I looked at the new JR radios and all I could think about was why another Protocol within 1 year Have to say that I did stop and look at the Futaba radios today while at the Toledo show
CEThomas is offline Find More Posts by CEThomas
Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,152 Posts
hmmmmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstocktx View Post
Wish they would bring back the touch screen...like the 10x
I guess I like the new tx but I'm still hoping somebody would see the benefit of a touch screen. I've been doing the rolling selector dance for quite sometime now and can't see how it surpasses a few quick taps on a touchscreen by any stretch of the imagination. I've heard all the arguments against a touch screen..... More expensive, (Uh, yeah..... You usually put a more expensive thingy-do on a high-end transmitter!) More maintenence, (Yeah, buddy..... I wear myself out wiping over the screen protector with a damp cloth every so often!) The touch screen panaplex fails a lot...... Lemme see now; I've had four 10x's and a PCM 10 since 1990. I just can't seem to remember one of the things going south on me EVER! Come on HH...... Give it back to me..... I REALLY want my touch screen BACK!!
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Last edited by WangoTango; 04-14-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Suspended Account
United States
Joined Dec 2007
1,508 Posts
Looks like a nice radio, but this circus is ridiculous. I'm keeping my 9303 'cause I enjoy my night vapor, but all the real planes are being converted to Futaba guidance.
Chris Todd is offline Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 04-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
Ah come'on! Another JR 2.4 protocol? This is getting ridiculous.
To be clear JR never had a protocol. They licensed the Spektrum technology as a means to get into the 2.4 market sooner. What interests me is that JR has decided to go down the no satellite frequency hopping route rather than continuing their association with Spektrum. From this point forward JR equipment will be incompatible with all existing JR or Spektrum equipment as well as any BnF planes. Big step here for JR to abandon that market.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 AM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts
I can understand JR's position that they don't have a system of their own and having to pay fees to spektrum.. As spektrum continues to to release more and more capable radios at 1/2 the price of a comprable JR it must look pretty dismal to them.. Personaly I don't mind paying a bit more for a better quality feel- the spetrum radios just feel cheap.. Hopefully Jr will see the light and still continue to pay the license fees and make radios compatable with dsm/x for a while and maybe wean people to their system over a few years??Come-on it is just software on the transmitter.. I really don't see too many people wanting to jump onto a new/different incompatable product when the existing one works. If they had went to some sort of new radio frequency band or something earth shatteringly better -- maybe.. And of course if spetrum figures out how to make a transmitter that doesn't feel like it fell out of a cracker jack box -they would probably keep most of the JR clients...It would be nice if they would make the spektrum 18 channel in a premium version with nice gimbals and a metal shell for a couple hundred more.. but in reality 95% of the transmitter sales are probably the lower end stuff so there may not be any money in it.. Horizon of course is right in the middle and will make money either way and who knows in the end we may all end up using hobby king 100 channel transmitters that are compatable with every brand receiver ever made and cost $29 plus $200 shipping...
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 AM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
To be clear JR never had a protocol. They licensed the Spektrum technology as a means to get into the 2.4 market sooner. What interests me is that JR has decided to go down the no satellite frequency hopping route rather than continuing their association with Spektrum. From this point forward JR equipment will be incompatible with all existing JR or Spektrum equipment as well as any BnF planes. Big step here for JR to abandon that market.
I agree Judge, its very interesting that JR made this choice to have their own protocol as well as abandon the BnF market. I will be curious to see how this works out for JR, as I feel its too early for a whole new protocol to be entered into the market. I am not seeing any real strong benefit of this new protocol over whats already available. I just purchased a 11X a couple of months ago along with 8 DSMX Rx's to go along with it, so I certainly would have to see a huge benefit before making any move to a product that is not backwards compatible with what I already have.

PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 04-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Find More Posts by SuperTrooper
Joined Feb 2012
147 Posts
It could be JR is tired of having to follow what Spectrum does and having their radio line up limited due to the spectrum agreement.

Good for JR for dumping the silly satellite stuff. Now spectrum is the only one left who needs extra satellite receives for their systems to be reliable.

I am glad I went with Airtronics.
SuperTrooper is offline Find More Posts by SuperTrooper
Old 04-14-2012, 07:04 AM
My life needs editing.
Joined Apr 2008
2,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
To be clear JR never had a protocol.
Maybe so, but when you build as many radios with the Spektrum protocol as JR has. Well it has become "your" protocol like it or not.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:13 AM
My life needs editing.
Joined Apr 2008
2,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2walla View Post
. And of course if spetrum figures out how to make a transmitter that doesn't feel like it fell out of a cracker jack box -they would probably keep most of the JR clients......
Funny you should say that. When I picked up the XG8 and XG-11 yesterday, first thing I thought is how it felt like the DX-8 and DX-18. Nothing like 12X or 10X.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 AM
My life needs editing.
Joined Apr 2008
2,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post

I am glad I went with Airtronics.
Glad it's working out for you, I had a Stylus and a Radiant for my son back in the 90's. Loved the feel of the Stylus, just did not like the problems I had with it powering down when I was flying and the fact Customer service could never fix it
Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Find More Posts by boggintuff
Sigh...really?
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Dec 2009
2,993 Posts
The XG11 was very comfortable in my hands at Toledo...but the game changer is going to be the Jeti transmitters...

One word.....AWESOME

http://jetimodel.com/index.php?page=article&id=25 they make 2 models of the same transmitter...one for finger flyers the other for thumb flyers. Everything switch and gimbal is removable and swapable and plug and play.

The thumb flyer model felt better in my hands than the XG11 did...did I mention it plays music of your own choosing?
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff

Quick Reply