Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Off Topic Discussion > Chit Chat
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 02-17-2007, 02:33 AM   #46
3D-Seth
Horizon Hobby Employee

Send a message via Yahoo to 3D-Seth
Default Re: Not taken seriously!?

There's a country song that says it all:

"Its better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not!"
3D-Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #47
hardtop351
if it ain't broke don't fix it

Send a message via MSN to hardtop351

hi there guys.....

just want to share my own experiences.....my introduction to model flying was back when i was in high school. a teacher got me into it as i was being bullied a lot. not long after this i discovered that we had a model club in my town.

18 years later( im now 34 years old) im still flying and i love it!!!....i cant get enough. ive been through the whole "you fly model/toy planes huh??..." thing. and honestly i cant be bothered as to what they think. i do what i want and i have a ball!!!.

one thing that has been a great spinoff is the aircraft engineering course that i completed. because of my model aircraft background it helped me to get a 3rd place in the final exams.....there was a total of 35 people doing the course. from this i got a part time job working on full size planes......i LOVED IT!!!! i even got to fly some interesting planes too.

dont worry too much about what others say about your hobby guys........its what you all like and love to do in YOUR time......those that are really interested will want to know more....those that dont are the ones missing out on REAL fun!!!

cheers
craig
hardtop351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #48
wizard
It will fly!!!

Send a message via Skype™ to wizard

First I will start by saying that I'm proud to be an "RC Nerd". I noticed something last weekend that put it into perspective for me.

I went to the E-Fest for the weekend. The hotel where I was staying, was hosting a role playing gamer contest. (games like Dungeons and dragons) As I looked around at those individuals I realized that there was one major difference between that group of nerds including the video game nerds and the great group of RC nerds. What, you ask was the big difference.........Sun tans.....

Never try to teach a pig to sing! It wastes your time and it annoys the pig!!!

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Powered by Jim Beam

wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #49
pitviper51
Burn Gas.. Bend wings.

Send a message via MSN to pitviper51

HAHAHAAH true that!!!! most of my gaming time is done in sims now heheh or team shooters, like SOCOM good for late night bordom
mike
pitviper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #50
analog_boy
just another model junkie

Send a message via MSN to analog_boy

nicely put wizard.
analog_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #51
topflight36
Addicted

I think we are just looked at as nerds. We do something that most people dont see to often. I even have friends that think that planes are boring and that rc cars are so much fun. They think I am a nerd for flying instead of driving those little rc cars. I guess we are just a group of people that understand what this hobby is all about. I was also talking to my rc car friends and they ask if we crash and they ask if planes are always fixable. I tell them know then the question of price comes up. I always smile and say the bigger they are the more they cost.Then I tell them you can get a RTF trainer for like 350 and they are shock. They just say well that not worth it. But hey The money is worth it to me.

Tom
topflight36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #52
pitviper51
Burn Gas.. Bend wings.

Send a message via MSN to pitviper51

heck those lil cars can cost that much to,, but you know they drive those cars cuz they cant handle flying eheheh, j/k i did my time with 2d cars,, gets boring after a while actully pretty fast hehehe, outsiders will never understand unless they try to do this them selves and realize how hard it can be.
mike
pitviper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:09 AM   #53
flybye
Doo It! Doo It!

no mi gusta haters( i don't like haters)
Old 02-22-2007, 06:26 PM   #54
thewrap
I had it, but then I lost it.

Yeah your not the only one. It sucks but after you get good then you can laugh in there face because they can't fly as good as you can. We have an RC club at my school and we all get treated the same way. Even some of the more cooler kids. But here's what I did, there were a few people in the cafeteria and I brougt an electric foamie that I had laying around, so I just started flying around. It was all fun until someone got in trouble. Yeah but it worked, till this day I haven't been laughed at about my hobby. Just if your teachers are really annal, then you'll probably get in school suspension. Or just bring some videos on your Ipod if you have one.
And I can agree with Sukoikid, they just don't understand the hobby, but just think about this, they are the ones missing out.
thewrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #55
analog_boy
just another model junkie

Send a message via MSN to analog_boy

why laugh in someones face cuz your better than them? When you were learning on your trainer would you stay in it if everyone was telling you you sucked? Nice to see you got accepted within your school but that part of your post bothered me.
analog_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #56
thewrap
I had it, but then I lost it.

Sorry, I never really thought about that. But I guess I paid for it when I got suspended.
thewrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:24 AM   #57
young-3D
Flyin' Around

hey i am a 17 year old r/c guy. i sometimes do get made fun of too. especially when i would rather stay home and build a new plane then go out and get drunk. sometimes i think that i do get a little too into the hobby. i know when i have gone too far when my whole day is ruined because i cant fly, that is when i know that it is time to back off. i have recenly gotten my private pilots licence and i can say to all that flying full scale, allthough it is fun is still not as fun as flying r/c. but now that i do fly real airplanes people do not make fun of my r/c flying.
young-3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #58
niccolo98
Uber Contributor

yeah, i get made fun of for both! If i tell them im working on my privates pilots license they laugh, and if i tell them i fly r/c they laugh too! Im at the point where i dont tell anybody, and then dont get laughed at! It works for me!
Old 02-26-2007, 05:47 AM   #59
Pundi
Doo It! Doo It!

Send a message via MSN to Pundi

Quote: Originally Posted by young-3D
View Post
hey i am a 17 year old r/c guy. i sometimes do get made fun of too. especially when i would rather stay home and build a new plane then go out and get drunk. sometimes i think that i do get a little too into the hobby. i know when i have gone too far when my whole day is ruined because i cant fly, that is when i know that it is time to back off. i have recenly gotten my private pilots licence and i can say to all that flying full scale, allthough it is fun is still not as fun as flying r/c. but now that i do fly real airplanes people do not make fun of my r/c flying.

im like you, would rather fly planes and build them than go waste money of getting drunk like my mates do, i also have my full scale license. i try my hardest to give both rc and full scale the same amount of interest but some times i do put more money into 1. i plan on making a career out of full scale but not planning on stopping rc. i give saturday to full scale and sunday rc flying. if people have a bit of a laugh out of flying planes i tell them how much rc cost and they shut up and relise its not a toy!
all i can say is i dont care what others think i fly rc and full scale and love every minute of it

if they are good mates they wont laugh, but i do know what ya mean! peer pressure others our age want to go out and party and drink on weekends
cheers
Pundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #60
Dantley
Doo It! Doo It!

I work for a high-tech company and even my coworkers think it is kinda nerdy.

I have had a few people ask if the hobby is like what is depicted in the movie "Love Liza". That movie did nothing good for the image of rc modelers. haha

In the end I don't give a rats @$$.

Last edited by Dantley; 03-20-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Dantley is offline   Reply With Quote