Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > General Discussion
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 05-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #31
damien
In Thrust We Trust

Default Re: Giants From South Africa

Hey Gus, found the problem with my DA50, the bolts holding the head on were coming loose. Two fell out while I was flying and the other two were really loose, that explains why it wasnt starting easily, damn!! my arm hurts!

damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #32
Gus155
Uber Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Gus155

Yip,the old timers can still do it. my dad a 76 still flys a bit, and Tony Holing at 86 still twiddles the sticks a bit, saw him at the vlei on sunday.
Saw Johnny fly that turbo raven at Oudtshoorn ( not sure who built it ) was pretty impressive. Still remember when Johnny had Topflyte Hobbies, when it was in Voortrekker road in Bellville( late 70s early 80s), then he moved to Tygervalley.
Havnt been to fly at TMFC for years, but believe Johny and John Cuningham are doing a good job on the Pattern and aerobatics clinics.
Gus155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:42 AM   #33
Gus155
Uber Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by damien
View Post
Hey Gus, found the problem with my DA50, the bolts holding the head on were coming loose. Two fell out while I was flying and the other two were really loose, that explains why it wasnt starting easily, damn!! my arm hurts!
AAH. Was going to ask if you got it going.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #34
Bushman
Doo It! Doo It!

Hey Buds

Trev I think we met at the 3W show in Mucke??
Living in Israel for the moment, Luckily I have my own Biltong and boerewors production otherwise I would have died by now.
Flying in Israel is good but we lack proper runways like back at home HOME SWEET HOME.
Will put some pics of my planes when I return from Canada monday.
I am looking for a good distributor for my 49" raven in SA any ideas?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620184
Well I will put an effort to keep the SA tread going for sure.
By the way I thought 3D stands for Drank, D.......S en Dagga?

Regards
Alex
www.zerogmodel.com
www.zerogravity.co.il
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #35
Gus155
Uber Contributor

Hey alex, that Raven looks sweet.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:47 AM   #36
bluesmancoops
PIC

Send a message via Skype™ to bluesmancoops

this is wikid steven - good idea
bluesmancoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:53 AM   #37
driesbabe
Uber Contributor

Hey Trevor,

That’s quite a checklist. Having played with a few Chinese products especially motors I am well aware that one has to check everything (as we all do on every plane that we fly)
But that is simply not acceptable in my opinion. The simple fact that there are parts of such bad quality holding the most dangerous part of the motor on is a disgrace. Maybe the guys at the factory thought that the Prop is not there product, and therefore they don’t need to make sure it stays on there.
I make a point of not going near my prop when its running, but who knows where its going to go once it comes off there.
All said and done, the past weekend at the fly in Walfisbay we also had a bit of an incident that luckily ended well.
On of the older guys in the club had brought a brand spanking new Great Planes Stearman, (beautiful plane) with a Super Tiger G23 fitted. As I looked at the plane, I still commented that I would not have chosen that Engine (for several reasons in my own opinion).

Well, he flew, and it dose fly beautiful and certainly presents itself beautiful in the air, when suddenly the engine revved up to a gazillion revs and died. The crank broke behind the front bearing, obviously throwing the prop. You cannot believe the state of that engine after the revup, it looks as if the engine tried to eat its own inside.
I recon everything we do in this hobby has a certain factor of danger to it.

Hey Trev, I will email you the dimensions on that Yak and a package deal price.
Regards
Dries
driesbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 AM   #38
3D Trev
Fly 3D or go home

Quote: Originally Posted by damien
View Post

HA HA HA HA
I will call Charles from DA and tell the bugger to add that to there check list L.....O......L

I know how that feels D
3D Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:47 AM   #39
3D Trev
Fly 3D or go home

Quote: Originally Posted by Bushman
View Post
Hey Buds

Trev I think we met at the 3W show in Mucke??
Living in Israel for the moment, Luckily I have my own Biltong and boerewors production otherwise I would have died by now.
Flying in Israel is good but we lack proper runways like back at home HOME SWEET HOME.
Will put some pics of my planes when I return from Canada monday.
I am looking for a good distributor for my 49" raven in SA any ideas?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620184
Well I will put an effort to keep the SA tread going for sure.
By the way I thought 3D stands for Drank, D.......S en Dagga?

Regards
Alex
www.zerogmodel.com
www.zerogravity.co.il
Hey Alex cool man nice to hear from you.
That Raven looks awsome I presume its built up?
I would like one what will it cost to get here ?

Andreas maybe you should look at getting some for the OUKS in NAM they look really good.

Trev
Old 05-30-2007, 03:01 AM   #40
3D Trev
Fly 3D or go home

Quote: Originally Posted by driesbabe
View Post
Hey Trevor,

Thatís quite a checklist. Having played with a few Chinese products especially motors I am well aware that one has to check everything (as we all do on every plane that we fly)
But that is simply not acceptable in my opinion. The simple fact that there are parts of such bad quality holding the most dangerous part of the motor on is a disgrace. Maybe the guys at the factory thought that the Prop is not there product, and therefore they donít need to make sure it stays on there.
I make a point of not going near my prop when its running, but who knows where its going to go once it comes off there.
All said and done, the past weekend at the fly in Walfisbay we also had a bit of an incident that luckily ended well.
On of the older guys in the club had brought a brand spanking new Great Planes Stearman, (beautiful plane) with a Super Tiger G23 fitted. As I looked at the plane, I still commented that I would not have chosen that Engine (for several reasons in my own opinion).

Well, he flew, and it dose fly beautiful and certainly presents itself beautiful in the air, when suddenly the engine revved up to a gazillion revs and died. The crank broke behind the front bearing, obviously throwing the prop. You cannot believe the state of that engine after the revup, it looks as if the engine tried to eat its own inside.
I recon everything we do in this hobby has a certain factor of danger to it.

Hey Trev, I will email you the dimensions on that Yak and a package deal price.
Regards
Dries

Jip I agree one does have to check certain things, but now look at the 65CC chinees motor I got from you ( What a beaut ) it started right out of the box and ran well the only thing I needed to do was that carb mod and its not that there was anything wrong with the carb but simply that they way it mounted in the cowl the airflow messed around a bit.

At the LSA NAts a old friend of mine Nevile Wright was flying in his 6th round ripping up the sky with his 3W KATANA with a 3W 157 in it and as he pulled into the vert
bang went the motor but yet it still ran and he managed to land it. We took the thing apart but couldn't get the one head off the cranck case it was stuck bad. After about two hours of numerous guys pulling at the thing it came off only to reveal a 2mm x 2mm groove in both the piston and sleeve. The Gudgin pin had come off and made love to the inside of the sleeve and piston.

SO all engines are prone to fail at some point but when others have problems I mentioned before they even run well like Dries says ist unacceptable

Trev
Old 05-30-2007, 03:09 AM   #41
3D Trev
Fly 3D or go home

Hey Andreas he would like to know the fuzz length the lenght between the wing trailing edge and the tailplane leading edge plus the AUW weight the length of the wing chord and the tip also the length of the nose from the wing leading edge to the front of the cowl.

Thanks Alot
Trev
Old 05-30-2007, 03:24 AM   #42
driesbabe
Uber Contributor

Hi Trev,

I just sent you a mail, without any of the measurements you mentioned, I will do these for you and get back.
regards
Old 05-30-2007, 03:33 AM   #43
driesbabe
Uber Contributor

hey Guy's

We are busy making a 90cc twin from two CrrC-pro GF45 cc engines, if any of you are interested in the progress, let me know and I will post pictures as I get them.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:40 AM   #44
damien
In Thrust We Trust

Quote: Originally Posted by driesbabe
View Post
hey Guy's

We are busy making a 90cc twin from two CrrC-pro GF45 cc engines, if any of you are interested in the progress, let me know and I will post pictures as I get them.
Sounds good, definitely post some pics!

damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:50 AM   #45
Stu_D
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by 3D Trev
View Post
Hey Stu man you were right man should have listened to you buddy.........Do you know Glen Mathews? And what were you doing in Joburg thats a dangerous place.

Trev
trev , never been to Joburg just the part of melbourne I live in we have a LOT of
Ex-pat South African and they tell me lots of horrid stories . I'm sure they cant
all be true .

Stu
Stu_D is offline   Reply With Quote