logo

Great Planes Sequence 1.20 - FG Review Part 1

In part 1 of a 2-part review, we'll go over the Great Planes Sequence 1.20, an intermediate-level pattern plane designed around affordable power systems.

Splash

Introduction

Product:Sequence 1.20
Wingspan:71.5"
Wing area:836 sq in
Wing loading:27-30 oz/sq ft
Motor used:Rimfire 1.20
ESC Used:Castle Phoenix Edge 80HV
Prop:APC 17x8
Transmitter used:Tactic TTX 850
Street price:$499.98
Manufacturer:Great Planes

The Great Planes Sequence 1.20 is a intermediate-level pattern plane that's perfect for competing in NSRCA Sportsman classes or for the weekend warrior looking to have some fun practicing Cuban Eights and tightening up those up and down lines. Designed as a quick-building ARF, the Sequence 1.20 marks an affordable entry into the realm of pattern flying.

In part 1 of this 2-part review, we'll take a look at assembling the Sequence 1.20, we'll discuss the electronics options and hardware used, and we'll touch on any special steps that need to be addressed during the build. My description of the assembly process below will touch on the majority of the steps in the manual. As always, consult the manual for in-depth assembly instructions. Let's get started.

What's in the box

The Sequence 1.20 comes packaged securely in it's cardboard shipping box, with the front and rear of the fuselage safely cradled in cardboard supports. Each piece is wrapped generously in plastic and clear packing tape is used to keep all the separate airframe pieces from moving around. There were no issues to mention with the packaging. As with most models that see a vast temperature swing from summer to winter, the MonKote covering needed to be tightened up in a more than a few places; a quick session with the heat gun and I had all the wrinkles out of the orange, white, and blue covered airframe.

Installing hinges on control surfaces is one of my least favorite assemble steps, and I was pleasantly surprised to see this task completed at the factory - a generous pull on each surface confirmed that the hinges were glued in well and not going anywhere. Another bonus to add to the list was the installation of the fiberglass control horn for the rudder's pull-pull system and the tail wheel.

Each aileron has a string taped inside for pulling the servo wires through. The servo hatches have the mounting blocks already installed, and it's recommended to add a little CA around the block.

The horizontal stabilizers house the elevator servos at the root. They require a low profile mini-servo with a depth no greater than 18mm to fit correctly. The Futaba S9650 is a great fit.

Great Planes made it a little easier for us to install various engine/motor combinations by adding tick marks to the motor box; use them as drilling guides for either nitro or electric power. There are six cutouts on the firewall that can be removed for additional cooling and clearance for certain engines.

The Build

We'll start by installing the servos in the wings, gluing in the control horns, and making up some aileron pushrods. As I stated above, the aileron hatches have the blocks already glued in place, and that made the servo installation much faster. Before you mount the servos, use the included plastic gauge to mount the servo arm at the correct angle (with the servo centered). This is nothing more than a piece of plastic cut at an angle. Lay the servo flat on the workbench and place the gauge against the servo at the splines, then install the servo arm that matches the angle most closely. Install the control horns by roughing the mounting tabs with some sandpaper and gluing them in with CA.

Making the aileron pushrods requires cutting the included 4-40 rod to 57mm and soldering on a 4-40 threaded coupler. Thread on the ball links and install the pushrods with the included hardware.

The landing gear installation is quite easy as the separate pieces attach inside the fuselage with 6 socket-head cap screws. The axles need to be trimmed down to 1" in length and a flat spots ground for the wheel collar set screws. Use a rotary tool with a cutoff wheel for this step. Once the axles are ready, slide on some washers, mount the wheels, and bolt on the wheel pants. Use some threadlocker here and on any fasteners that are metal on metal.

I chose the recommended brushless motor for the Sequence 1.20: The Rimfire 1.20 50-65-450. The Castle Creations Phoenix Edge 80HV was also used since it can handle the 6s 22.2v input power. However, the 80HV cannot convert 22.2v down to 4.8v with it's BEC, so a separate BEC or a stand-alone receiver battery must be used. I chose the Castle Sport BEC and drew power from the main flight pack.

The Great Planes large motor mount was attached to the motor box by drilling at the diagonal tick marks, and the Rimfire 1.20 was bolted down with generous threadlocker. A wood esc mount comes with the Sequence 1.20 and is designed around the Great Planes large mount. Use some CA or epoxy to assemble the 3-piece mount.

The horizontal stabilizers attach to the fuselage with four #2 Phillips screws and are supported with an aluminum joiner tube. The elevator servos mount in each stabilizer and there isn't much room to work with. You have a maximum servo depth of 18mm, so low profile mini-servos are a must. I went with Futaba S9650 digital minis. Whip up some elevator pushrods using the same method as the aileron pushrods we covered earlier, and bolt them in place.

The Sequence 1.20 features an adjustable rudder servo mount - that's something you don't see on many airframes. The front mount is fixed while the back mount can slide forwards and aft to accommodate a standard or mini servo. However, you'll need to glue the rear mount in permanently after you chose your servo.

The cowl can either be mounted with the bolts on the outside or on the inside against the firewall. If you chose the latter approach, you'll need to glue in the included cowl ring and fab up a 10' 3/32" hex driver to reach the bolts. Great Planes includes the parts needed to create the extension, but you'll need to cut one of your wrenches to make it work. The instructions detail the fabrication of the tool, which is pretty easy to make.

Great Planes recommends the APC 17x8 as a good starting point for the Sequence 1.20, and that's what I will be using along with a Great Planes 2.5" nylon and aluminum spinner.

Conclusion

Now that the Sequence is fully built, it's time to balance her out, adjust control throws, and add in a little expo at the transmitter. I will go over radio setup and balancing in our next video before we take her out to the field for the maiden flight. As you can see from the build review, the Sequence assembles quickly with no surprises to note. I can't wait to test out the flight characteristics, which we will be doing very soon, so stay tuned to FlyingGiants for more. Thanks for reading part 1 of my 2 part review of the Great Planes Sequence 1.20 pattern plane.

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; 03-04-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Old 03-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,377 Posts
Waiting for the snow to melt for part 2

Nice job!
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
FG Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Oct 2009
1,566 Posts
Haha. Isn't that the truth.
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
Administrator
Old 03-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by cap23244
CAP 232'S AND COLT 44'S
United States, OH, Warren
Joined Jan 2011
584 Posts
nice looking plane. looking forward to the test flight
cap23244 is offline Find More Posts by cap23244
Old 03-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by battmasterson
United States, VT, Lincoln
Joined May 2009
197 Posts
I had one of those.

Flinton
battmasterson is offline Find More Posts by battmasterson
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by bokuda
Joined Aug 2009
6 Posts
"The Build" ???
bokuda is offline Find More Posts by bokuda
Old 03-05-2015, 09:52 PM
FG Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Oct 2009
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuda View Post
"The Build" ???
I wrote about installing the servos, soldering the control rods and installing the control horns, the landing gear, the motor/esc/bec, drilling the firewall for electric power, building the esc mount, cutting down the axles, mounting the cowl... there's not much more to this build. Did I not provide enough info?
Administrator
Old 03-05-2015, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by ggimlick
Joined Aug 2008
6 Posts
From reader mail I get, I suspect that was a shot at you for saying "build" instead of "assembling". If I say "build" in an article, I get several emails taking me to task for it and some are not nearly as polite :-)

You're gonna love the Sequence. Watch the peak current during rapid throttle changes if you stick with the 80a ESC. The Castle will handle it, but it will spike over 80a on 6s using a 17x10 prop. I ended up using a 120 just to have some headroom.

Take care,
Greg
ggimlick is offline Find More Posts by ggimlick
Old 03-05-2015, 11:31 PM
FG Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Oct 2009
1,566 Posts
Ah nice.

It's an art to decipher someones tone and intentions through limited text and a bunch of question marks, glad you got it. I made sure to use the word "assemble" in lieu of "build" throughout the review, for that very reason. Im going to leave that header text up, as most get the gist of what I mean.
Administrator
Old 03-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Joined Aug 2008
6 Posts
Great review so far, I'm looking forward to seeing part 2 and the flying portion. I really liked my Sequence....I say "liked" because someone else really liked it too and kept after me to sell it to them. They finally wore me down until I took their money :-) I was very impressed with the power from that 6S setup. I set 7 minutes on my timer and had time to go around if I needed. I'm now looking for another plane to use that same system in.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:46 AM
FG Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Oct 2009
1,566 Posts
Great info, thanks. Snow is scheduled to melt for good next week. Flying season approaches!!!
Administrator
Old 03-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jan 2006
1,616 Posts
Great to see you on the site Greg!
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old 03-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Joined Aug 2008
6 Posts
Thanks Jim.

We're hoping flying season will return to NC this weekend. It's been a crazy winter...but it's not Boston!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,377 Posts
We need an authors forum to discuss the emails we get

It's all good, feedback of any kind means people are reading what we write.

My feedback is: Good job so far, can't wait to see the flight report.
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 03-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Joined Aug 2008
6 Posts
Do you mean a support group where we at least have beer to cry in? ;-)

Quick Reply