logo
Old 11-27-2015, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by LOWROLLER
LOW ROLLER
Joined Oct 2013
14 Posts
Help!
Pilot RC Yak 54 73"

I have been having a problem landing this plane and adjusting the CG. I am running a DLE 30 and the plane is extremely pitch sensitive on landing. I literally have to push the plane down with the elevator to get it to come in and it. Then as I get closer to landing and attempt to flare and feed in a little throttle it shoots back up like its a roller coaster and does this on approach as well. I have moved the CG forward, aft and neutral and doesn't make a difference. I have 5 years flying experience and have never had a plane fly like this. It comes in as if it were tail heavy. I hope this isn't just a characteristic of this plane, as that would be very disappointing. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A member at my club described it as porpoising.
LOWROLLER is offline Find More Posts by LOWROLLER
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by LOWROLLER
LOW ROLLER
Joined Oct 2013
14 Posts
Wow, crickets. No suggestions?
LOWROLLER is offline Find More Posts by LOWROLLER
Old 04-26-2016, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by The flying Greek
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2013
33 Posts
Pilot RC Yak 54 73"

Low roller,

I had this exact same model, as well as a Pilot 73" Extra 300. BOTH models displayed exactly the same traits as you describe.

GOOD NEWS! THERE IS AN EASY FIX!

I messed around with the CofG, but then further investigations on this website, uncovered the easiest fix. The following fix WORKED on both models. After the adjustments, the models were a breeze to land!

1. Balance the model so you get it to fly the way you want it to.

2. Between flights, keep adding shims (washers) to the bottom 2 engine standoffs, so that you start building in some UP THRUST, and note the results.

3. By trial and error, keep adding or taking away the shims, until the nose of the model either stays level, or lowers, when you close the throttle in straight and level flight up at a safe height.

Some people in these forums want to muck around with adjusting the incidence of the horizontal stabilizer. Others will tell you to move the CofG forward which is nonsense, as the model will be nose heavy in flight, and you will need to trim UP, to counter this. When you come in to land, the aircraft will be trimmed nose up, so the nose will just continue to rise like it did previously, or worse than previous!

The above method is the quickest and easiest way to fix this. Why? Because the up thrust will require DOWN trim to keep the plane in straight and level flight. When you close the throttle for landing, the up thrust will be less, and with the trim already dialled in for a higher power setting, the nose will drop or at worst stay level. I also dial in 1 click of DOWN trim just before I close the throttle for landing, just to be sure.

Good luck!
The flying Greek is offline Find More Posts by The flying Greek
Old 02-19-2018, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by microdon2
microdon2
United States, NY, Hicksville
Joined Dec 2009
22 Posts
Flying Greek - Good answer!
microdon2 is offline Find More Posts by microdon2
Old 10-06-2018, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by Helo1
Joined May 2009
481 Posts
The Pilot RC CG is too far back. Move it forward to back of tube. My battery - a hard case 7.4 2 S lipo is along the fuel tank. No need to mess with trust angle. The ignition battery is a life 3000 mah mounted on the side of the engine box.
Do the 45 degree CG test. Mine fly great and is easy to land.
What you describe is a tail heavy condition.

With the CG at the back of the tube, the Yak track like it’s on rail. Easy to fly, stay where you point it. No bad habit.
Helo1 is offline Find More Posts by Helo1

Quick Reply