Old 12-31-2015, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Robot Babysitter
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jan 2006
1,234 Posts
Discussion
Aeroplus 111" Extra 330LT

I've been keeping a close eye on Aeroplus ever sense I purchased their 100cc Corvus. The Quality of my Corvus was extremely high and in my opinion better than a lot of the "Big Name" manufacturers out there. This past June I lost the Corvus to an overheated engine in a hover and really missed flying it. I had seen the new Aeroplus 111" Extra 330LT online and was excited to pick one up, unfortunately Mile High R/C (the sole U.S. Importer) was out of stock until yesterday! Luckily for me, Mile High R/C is located about 20 minutes from home so I headed over last night to pick up the beauty from Mike personally.

I did not get any pictures of the packaging but I can say these things are well packed! All of the hardware is packaged in individual bags and sorted by location ie; Wings, Landing Gear ETC. There is a canister tunnel already installed as well as provision to mount tuned pipes sans a tunnel past the wing tube.

Here are a few pictures to show exactly what you get when you receive one of these incredible airplanes

The fuse is well built and very scale looking, it is much more round than any of the Pilot R/C, Extreme Flight, Aeroworks type of airplanes. The canopy is one piece and comes out of the box as you see it above, the plastic is a little thicker than most. A canopy this large needs to be taken care of when out at the field, I'll definitely be ordering a plane cover to help keep it out of the sun.

The internal design is well thought out and LIGHT! There are 6 carbon fiber rods built into the longerons that will ensure a strong, twist free fuselage. The pull-pull cables have also been pre-built and installed, a nice time savor.

The firewall as already been installed and reinforced with aluminum angle brackets that are installed with glue and 6-32 bolts/nuts. That will be plenty strong to hold the DA 120 for hundreds of flights I'm sure!

The wings are equally impressive, they feel very light and strong. I tried to twist them and saw zero give, they also have full length carbon spars to keep up with the XA type of flying nowadays. These wings share the exact same build design as the 100cc Corvus and I can attest to their strength, they held up to countless full throttle knife edge circles, hard 90* pushes, full throttle washers, and anything else I could throw at it!

Last but not least HOLY AILERON BATMAN!!!!!!!!!! These wings are stock, no special ordering here! There are provisions for a third aileron servo if need be, but I'll be using the new JR NX 8921 http://www.jramericas.com/234699/JRPSNX8921/
So two should do it!

I'm about to head out on Vacation for a week and will be doing a lot of travel for work but I hope to update this thread as time permits so stay tuned for some more pictures and info, this airplane will be getting the latest JR equipment as well as a few new tricks I've been wanting to play with ;-)
Mark Dennis is offline Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-31-2015, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by rcfly
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2015
1,449 Posts
Looks good!
rcfly is offline Find More Posts by rcfly
Old 12-31-2015, 06:49 PM
Robot Babysitter
Joined Jan 2006
1,234 Posts
Here's a couple pictures with a wing and stab on, this thing is MASSIVE! It dwarfs my Hangar 9 Extra 300, moving it around as shown in these pictures it still feels very light.

Couple of small issues I have noticed so far, the factory painted both the supplied carbon spinner and carbon landing gear white...........DOH!!!! I'll be using a 4 1/2" Mejzlik spinner so that's no big deal. As for the gear, I emailed Mike at Mile High to let him know, worst case I can respray it black, its a shame because the paint laid down is perfect, cleanest paint job I have ever seen out of China.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:51 PM
Robot Babysitter
Joined Jan 2006
1,234 Posts
The fuel tank is super nice, it comes pre-assembled as shown below as a 3 line tank. The cap is aluminum and looks to be a good seal (time will tell). I'm not sure on the capacity but it looks to be in the 30-32 oz range, PERFECT to feed that hungry DA 120

There's a bunch of plywood supplied for hatch covers, motor mounting templates as well as canister mounts. Something that is new to me are the canister mount options. Aeroplus has supplied mounts for 55, 65, and 70mm cans or pipes! They also provide your standard motor mounting templates for most of the popular engines.

Another neat little surprise was the stick plane! Pretty neat for them to throw in with the kit I'd say!
Old 12-31-2015, 06:52 PM
Robot Babysitter
Joined Jan 2006
1,234 Posts
The wheels are nice rubber that is a little soft but should do well on most runways, They also use an aluminum hub with a nylon bushing, these should last a LONG time!

Here's a picture showing just how the hardware is packaged, pretty standard stuff here, it looks like all the hardware is there if one chooses to run 6 aileron servos!
Old 12-31-2015, 06:53 PM
Robot Babysitter
Joined Jan 2006
1,234 Posts
The stabs are just as impressive as the wings, including the elevators! Look at those things! I'll be using one JR NX 8921 on these as well. These servos feature JR's "Slow Start" I can not think of a better use for these than on an airplane with surfaces this large!

The root of the stab is reinforced with a layer of black G10 type material that not only looks cool but will help keep the tabs from breaking off during transportation when they are off the fuse. The servo is located inside the stab, this seems to be the common method of elevator servo installation these days and I for one love it!
Old 12-31-2015, 06:53 PM
Robot Babysitter
Joined Jan 2006
1,234 Posts
The wing tips and SFG's remove with one screw! You can use the tips with or without the SFG's but it looks like you would have to run the tips to secure the SFG's, no problem here the tips look awesome on there! The SFG's are smaller than most, I think this will turn out to be a good thing, some of these SFG designs are starting to make our airplanes look more like a Tie-Fighter than a Scale Aerobatic airplane so this is a welcomed change.

The method used for the wing tip attachment is genius! One screw holds the leading edge in place while the hooks lock the rear into position. There is also a magnet that helps align everything making installation a snap.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:33 PM
Find More Posts by Mjg0808
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2013
69 Posts
Do you know if they have the white scheme? I've liked these as well.
Mjg0808 is offline Find More Posts by Mjg0808
Old 12-31-2015, 07:59 PM
Robot Babysitter
Joined Jan 2006
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjg0808 View Post
Do you know if they have the white scheme? I've liked these as well.
No white scheme on this shipment from what Mike said. I originally wanted the white as well. After seeing the gold in person I'm glad I went with it, it's very bold looking and won't look like all the other ARF's at the field!
Old 12-31-2015, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
I've got one of the White ones that I finished recently and I must say, it's without question the highest quality ARF I've ever worked on. It's also one of the best flying planes I've ever owned as well. You will really enjoy it.

One comment, if you don't have the side force generators installed, the magnets won't hold the wing tips on very well. During snaps I've had the wingtips pop off. The SFGs are too small to be very effective and I really didn't want them anyways so I used a strip of matching covering to semi-permanently attach the wing tips..

Wayne
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Last edited by wfield0455; 12-31-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by bhughes
TROUT FARM FLYER AKA BERTABOY
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2013
897 Posts
I got to see the prototype fly for a couple years. A lot of Their arfs have huge controls. I have the 30cc mxs-r and the 92" edge and the 88" yak. If you like the extra you should see the 111" edge if you want to see videos I have lots uploaded on YouTube. Lorne at pro-rc is the Canadian distributor and he ships to the states lots.
http://www.pro-rc.ca/aeroplus-planes...eatured&page=2
bhughes is offline Find More Posts by bhughes
Old 12-31-2015, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by bhughes
TROUT FARM FLYER AKA BERTABOY
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2013
897 Posts
His last shipment the extra sold out on pre orders I believe lol
bhughes is offline Find More Posts by bhughes
Old 12-31-2015, 10:35 PM
Find More Posts by Mjg0808
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2013
69 Posts
Both of the extra schemes look great. I look forward to your build Mark.
Mjg0808 is offline Find More Posts by Mjg0808
Old 01-04-2016, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by raydar
Joined Nov 2009
1,180 Posts
That looks very familiar, my gold one better still be in the loft or I know where it has went.

Hopefully another few months and it will get built.

Subscribed.
raydar is offline Find More Posts by raydar
Old 01-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,447 Posts
Hey Mark,

Just a heads up snip the clunk line on the tank and put in a brass tube for most of the distance. with the current setup you can have the clunk line fall forward and wrap around the fill line that's sticking down. I had this happen in flight on my extra and happen to have landed before the gas ran low enough to suck air through the line.

That's a wild airplane BTW! I flew one at Huck-O-ween. The control surfaces are just insane. If I could have messed with the programming and it had a more reliable engine at the time I think there are some new maneuvers to be invented. I will say while flying I was getting a lot of blow back on the rons. You may really want to go with 3 servos per ail. I know he had some sick servos in the wings but only 2 per panel. So it's either servo blow back or ail twist.
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton

Quick Reply