Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Full Scale Huckin'
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #16
A-Track
Hey! Lemme show ya something!

Default Re: Full scale F-86 rebuild thread

Man some people get all the cool jobs.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #17
G limit
Doo It! Doo It!

Curious; That appears to be a "H" model '86. The Last Of The Sports models!! A true hot rod...
I'm insanely jelous! As Don Adams used to say on "Get Smart", I missed flying the "H" by"This Much". Do have some time in the F-100, the mighty "Hun"...

Old Dawg
G limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:46 AM   #18
dangerboy
Prop Bender Extraordinaire

Actually, it's a Mark VI fuselage and engine (Orenda 14) mated to a Mark V wing (6:3 hard wing, no slats). The Orenda 14 was the biggest engine they ever put in the -86 airframe, at 7275 lbs of thrust. If we had to make a comparison to the U.S. version, it would be equivalent to the F-86E. Look closely at the H...the engine inlet is quite a bit larger, much like the FJ-4B Fury. It's a rocket, no doubt. On rotation, the gear and flaps have to be put up almost simultaneously, as their limitations are both 185 kts, and you are through that in almost no time.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 AM   #19
Josh Price
3DHS Trunk-Monkey

Awards Showcase
Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! Wesse's Haaard Man Award!: For showing our community the joy of eating jap-a-lin-os and being a haaaard man! Wesse Power! - Issue reason: You are a haaaard man! Hard man video award! 
Total Awards: 2

What are you using to strip the paint and what is your method of getting it done that fast. Man I dont know how you got that job but i wish i had it that looks awesome
4Titude Rc,
Josh Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:16 AM   #20
dangerboy

We are using several different strippers. D'solve is being used as a first coat. It works quite slowly, usually we paint it on overnight, show up the next day, and start scraping. Once the initial layer is scraped off, we are using Napa stripper and Aircraft stripper from Carquest for the majority of removal. Once we are down to the finishing stage, with only very little paint and zinc chromate left, we use MEK to finish and clean the aluminum. Believe me, it's anything but quick. This paint is almost 30 years old, which means that it has more or less neutralized chemically. It's a LOT of work to get the paint off right now, especially in areas that are sun baked.

Some of you may be wondering why the plane is still intact...it is intentional. We are taking our checkrides in it in a few weeks, and want to keep the plane functional (albeit ugly). After that, the drops, flight controls, most of the paneling, the gear doors, speedbrakes, canopy, etc will all be coming off. We just wanted to get a head start on the not-so-fun part of playing with these things.

Also, just a quick note...this isn't a job for me. I run the flight dept. for one of the ski resorts up here for my day job. The fighters, well...they're for fun. It's very much a volunteer effort, as it should be, in my opinion.

Last edited by dangerboy; 01-05-2008 at 04:35 AM.
dangerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:42 AM   #21
Shaker
Old School Hucker

Do you work for Flight Systems or is that just who you guys got the airplanes from?
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:34 AM   #22
dangerboy

Flight Systems sold the planes. I'm not an employee there...although I think it would be a pretty cool place to work!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #23
dubd
Turbine Hucker

Farm subsidies being put to good use.

Awesome photos!
dubd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #24
dangerboy

A little photo update for you guys.

The wings are more or less done, a little MEK will finish the job. The drop tanks are done, and we are starting on aft fuselage. I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

We've changed tactics...3000 psi pressure washer, seems to be working a lot better.

Why can't it ALL come off in pieces like this?!?

This was the number on the plane back in it's South African days. A little trivia...382 was the second to last F-86 imported from South Africa.

Starting on the tail...

Still working...

Right wing, almost done. That green stuff is zinc chromate, and it's a buggar to remove.

Right side of the tail, ready for MEK.

Left drop tank is done.

Right drop tank is almost done.

We've removed the winch pod, the winch will be removed later.

That's about it, sports fans. I'll post more pics as we progress. As always, if anyone is in the area and would like to take a peek, just PM me, and I'll make sure it happens.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #25
jwilliams
Happy contrails

How much for a ride when it is done? Yes, I am serious.
Jeff
jwilliams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #26
KIM
Uber Contributor

flying low over the island of eshima in japan in a 33 while 101s lock on and run a fire sequence yes i remember those days well
KIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #27
Uncle Brett
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Awards Showcase
The GPTPDSST Award: The Gay Pride Triple Platinum Diamond Studded Steaming Faberge Turd Award. - Issue reason: GPTPDSST Award recieved photochopping the site admin. 
Total Awards: 1

This is soooo cool. Thanks Dave.
Uncle Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #28
Gus155
Uber Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Gus155

was wondering what happened to our sabers. still a few around here in south africa, mostly in air force museums around the country, but dont think any are still flying.
still think its the best looking jet ever.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #29
JeeUm

Awards Showcase
The Golden Turd: A time honored tradition. Awarded to members who are deserving of ridicule for their antics in the community forums. - Issue reason: Same as the others. Lame post that won't stop! The Golden Turd: A time honored tradition. Awarded to members who are deserving of ridicule for their antics in the community forums. - Issue reason: Just see this: http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2549 The Golden Turd: A time honored tradition. Awarded to members who are deserving of ridicule for their antics in the community forums. - Issue reason: Jim receives this award for constantly posting the lamest links to the lamest internet cartoon songs involving cats. Jim has cumulatively wasted thousands of hours of our time with this stuff, ergo, this award. Congrats Jeeum. 
Total Awards: 3

winch pod?
JeeUm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #30
50%plane
on a vacation

Awards Showcase
The SV (Stupid Video) Award: Awarded to members who come up with incredibly lame videos. - Issue reason: 4 minutes of our lives we will never be able to recover. Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thanks dooder! FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. Wesse's Haaard Man Award!: For showing our community the joy of eating jap-a-lin-os and being a haaaard man! Wesse Power! - Issue reason: You're a haaaaaaard man! 
Total Awards: 5

Looks like it's coming along great!

Quote: Originally Posted by Gus155
View Post
was wondering what happened to our sabers. still a few around here in south africa, mostly in air force museums around the country, but dont think any are still flying.
still think its the best looking jet ever.
There's a couple flying around in airshows around here.
50%plane is offline   Reply With Quote