Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Full Scale Huckin'
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 09-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #46
ferocious frankie
Huck Yeah!!!

Default Re: Full scale F-86 rebuild thread

What happened to this beauty? Any new pics or updates?

Plane: AW 50cc Extra 300

Radio: Futaba 12FG 2.4 GHz

ferocious frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #47
dangerboy
Prop Bender Extraordinaire

Let's see...where to begin. First, things are progressing, albeit slowly, on the the Sabre. About a month ago I did the full power engine runs required for the annual. We strapped the mains to two big tugs, and went for it...it's a little unnerving running an Orenda 14 at 100% knowing that if one of those straps breaks...you're goin' for the e-ticket ride of your life! Everything checked out, so we're good to go on the engine. All that's left on the annual is to put the jet on jacks and swing the gear to check out the utility hydraulic system. I'm looking forward to doing it, because while it's on jacks, we're gonna strap ourselves into the seat, and do an emergency gear extension. If you've ever sat in an F-86, you'll know that the cockpit is TINY! An emergency gear extension is something I hope I never have to do while in the air , but I'll really rather practice on the ground first in case it ever comes up.

The jet is polished, and as soon as the annual is done the flight controls are coming off, and the paint scheme will be applied...don't ask, I ain't tellin'.

As far as flying the thing, I've flown the T-33 with the the F-86 instructor and received his letter of recommendation to the FAA for a TLOA to fly the Sabre (anyone know where I can get my hands on a couple thousand gals of Jet-A REALLY cheaply?!?). The guy I flew with is a regular at Reno, he's even one of the check airmen that racers in the unlimited class must fly with and pass a checkride from in order to race.

We're making progress...
Old 09-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #48
Josh Price
3DHS Trunk-Monkey

Awards Showcase
Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! Wesse's Haaard Man Award!: For showing our community the joy of eating jap-a-lin-os and being a haaaard man! Wesse Power! - Issue reason: You are a haaaard man! Hard man video award! 
Total Awards: 2

Quote: Originally Posted by dangerboy
View Post

The jet is polished, and as soon as the annual is done the flight controls are coming off, and the paint scheme will be applied...don't ask, I ain't tellin'.
hey what kinda paint scheme you got in mind??
sorry I had too
4Titude Rc,
Josh Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #49
dangerboy

A cool one...

A hint: 120th CO ANG...run with it.

If you figure it out, feel free to PM me, but keep it to yourself!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #50
Josh Price
3DHS Trunk-Monkey

Awards Showcase
Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! Wesse's Haaard Man Award!: For showing our community the joy of eating jap-a-lin-os and being a haaaard man! Wesse Power! - Issue reason: You are a haaaard man! Hard man video award! 

well was my guess right??? I sent the pm and I like it.
though I would edit out the clue b/c if you knwo your aircraft markings the clue is a dead give away
4Titude Rc,
Josh Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #51
ferocious frankie
Huck Yeah!!!

If it is what I think it is, it should be nice! Great to see progress on a beautiful airplane.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:24 AM   #52
dangerboy

Good guesses, guys...but No and No.

Come on...consider the airplane...it's era specific!
Old 09-20-2008, 12:38 AM   #53
ferocious frankie
Huck Yeah!!!

Wait, so it's not what I think it is? How do you know what I'm thinking?

JK LOL

Old 09-20-2008, 01:13 AM   #54
jack01
Uber Contributor

Man, this is a really cool thread! The guy I just got my AMA turbine waiver from used to fly P-51's and F-86's in the National Guard. He even had to eject from one after a rocket misfired and exploded inside the fuselage. He and I fly RC alot together, so I might have to print off this thread and show him. He's got some kickass stories.

jack01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #55
Thomas_W
Uber Contributor

I can get ya some cheap Jet-A only thing is you gotta fly the plane out here to KVBW to get it.... and then i wanna ride!
Thomas_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:15 PM   #56
dangerboy

I'd love to...the only rub is, it's a single seat fighter. There was only 3 2-seat versions ever built, and none of them survived. It was ugly anyways...had a clamshell canopy, very much like a T-33. It's by far the smallest cockpit I've sat in. I'm 5'10" and it's a tight fit, I have to duck to close the canopy. The T-bird and F-100s are much roomier. I've talked to several Sabre pilots, and one of the things they liked about it was that it felt very much like an extension of yourself, 'cause you're damn near wearing it.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:39 PM   #57
sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!

Awards Showcase
Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! Official FG Bad Ass!: Hand selected award for being a BAD-ASS member, and an awesome dude in general. - Issue reason: For helping put on the 2007 FlyingGiants Las Vegas Huckfest, and being an essential friend of The Giants! 

Very much like the F-16

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem." ...Ronald Reagan
sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #58
Thomas_W
Uber Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by dangerboy
View Post
I'd love to...the only rub is, it's a single seat fighter. There was only 3 2-seat versions ever built, and none of them survived. It was ugly anyways...had a clamshell canopy, very much like a T-33. It's by far the smallest cockpit I've sat in. I'm 5'10" and it's a tight fit, I have to duck to close the canopy. The T-bird and F-100s are much roomier. I've talked to several Sabre pilots, and one of the things they liked about it was that it felt very much like an extension of yourself, 'cause you're damn near wearing it.

Sounds like it fits like the BD-5 i used to own "like a glove"
Thomas_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #59
50%plane
on a vacation

Awards Showcase
The SV (Stupid Video) Award: Awarded to members who come up with incredibly lame videos. - Issue reason: 4 minutes of our lives we will never be able to recover. Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thanks dooder! FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. Wesse's Haaard Man Award!: For showing our community the joy of eating jap-a-lin-os and being a haaaard man! Wesse Power! - Issue reason: You're a haaaaaaard man! 
Total Awards: 5

Any progress?
50%plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #60
3Dguy
Lurker

Send a message via AIM to 3Dguy

Re-bump.

How's the plane comin?