Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Gas Engines
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 02-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
mikel7099
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Default DL-50 OIL ???

For a DL-50 Engine for break-in, is it ok to use Lawn Boy Ashless @ 32:1 mix ratio? If not what is everyone using at what mixture?
mikel7099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
iflyrc3Dstyle
Shane Quale

Default Re: DL-50 OIL ???

Mike,

www.dlusa.net says that you should use a ratio of 30:1 but I don't see why 32:1 would not work. You might want to call Bob and ask him just to make sure there is no warranty issues. Hope this helps.

"Flip It, Fly It, Hover It, Land It"

iflyrc3Dstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Flyinhigh
Barking-Tip Bandit

I know there are many varying perspectives on oil, but I have had great experience running Penzoil Aircooled 2-stroke, and break-in with 36:1 for about a gallon on a 50 cc before switching to synthetic. Pennzoil Aircooled builds up less carbon than Lawn-boy, and at 36:1 will still facilitate good ring seating, friction resistance, and minimal build-up ( I went with "middle of the road" between the guys who claim 32:1 and those who prefer 40:1 for break-in)

Again, this is just my perspective from limited personal experience.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Al Lewis

I,m running Belray H1R in mine at 40:1 for break-in and the rest of its life. Just my opinion but I don't see any point in all of the "break-in" "normal running" oil disputes. I'm getting 7400 rpm on a Vess 23A and am very happy with the engines performance with that mixture.

http://www.southeastrcengines.com
http://www.vessaero.com

Remember every second of every day there are thousands of men and women giving of their lives to keep you safe. Never forget them for they never forget you!!
Al Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
mikel7099

What about Mobil 1 Racing 2T at a 40:1 mix. I would like to use the mix for my ZDZ 80-RV and the DL-50.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Al Lewis

Although I know of Mobil's great reputation I've never used it. The Belray H1R is pure synthetic and is a 50:1 oil. It's available in most cycle shops. I figure at 40:1 the engine should last forever. They's even send you free stickers if you e-mail them. LOL

Remember every second of every day there are thousands of men and women giving of their lives to keep you safe. Never forget them for they never forget you!!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Flyinhigh
Barking-Tip Bandit

I prefer the Mobil 2T at 40:1 over all others, but that oil was discontinued, so I refrain from recommending it. If you can get your hands on the stuff it offers excellent overall performance, in my experience. I like it so much I bought 3 cases when I found it was discontinued.

I agree that an extensive break-in on natural oils like Lawn-Boy or Pennz may not be necessary, but they will get the rings set at least twice as fast as a full synthetic break-in right from the start. If you really want to get the engine to offer reliability in a hurry, a few flights on Natural will expedite the process. I do understand, however, that breaking-in with synthetic from the start will keep an engien cleaner over the long run.

Running Belray synthetic (HR-1 or MC-1) at anything richer than 50:1 won't offer more protection - it will only coat the internals with harmful build-up. I am a fan of Bellray MC-1 myself, and have gotten excellent performance at 50:1. Running a richer mix is not recommended and can have negative effects.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
mikel7099

Quote: Originally Posted by Flyinhigh
View Post
I prefer the Mobil 2T at 40:1 over all others, but that oil was discontinued, so I refrain from recommending it. If you can get your hands on the stuff it offers excellent overall performance, in my experience. I like it so much I bought 3 cases when I found it was discontinued.

I agree that an extensive break-in on natural oils like Lawn-Boy or Pennz may not be necessary, but they will get the rings set at least twice as fast as a full synthetic break-in right from the start. If you really want to get the engine to offer reliability in a hurry, a few flights on Natural will expedite the process. I do understand, however, that breaking-in with synthetic from the start will keep an engien cleaner over the long run.

Running Belray synthetic (HR-1 or MC-1) at anything richer than 50:1 won't offer more protection - it will only coat the internals with harmful build-up. I am a fan of Bellray MC-1 myself, and have gotten excellent performance at 50:1. Running a richer mix is not recommended and can have negative effects.
I just wanna try to run the same mix for both engines and not worry about all different gas cans and mixes and drag different fuel cans to the field. I ran the Mobil Synthetic for break in on my ZDZ with no issues, so using Synthetic or non Synthetic for break in i have no preference. If you really liked the Mobil that much i can email you a link were you can buy it but they only sell cases.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
bosshoss
Uber Contributor

Use a lot of Petroleum based oil....30:1 ....messy, but good. 32:1 Lawnboy is what I am using in my 2ND DL-50....

Because, I don't want it to BLOW UP, like my first that I ran on AMsoil Dominator 50:1. Oh, that is the first engine of mine to lunch on AMSOIL 50:1. EVER. ( bottom end wiped out)

So, Lawnboy and lots of it, for this one, maybe it will last longer.....maybe. The first one is a paper weight now. We will see how long before this one joins it.

250 bucks more for a DA looks like bargain, now. CAVEAT EMPTOR.
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
Al Lewis

Maybe you should mention the conditions you flew the plane, had it flown, under. LOL As I recall, lunching that engine was your intent from the start to see how long they lasted. Got close to 30 gallons through it with continuous use as I recall. They have FAG (German) bearings which are one of the best in the world so with normal use and good lubrication they should last a very long time.

Last edited by Al Lewis; 02-10-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
mikel7099

I know one thing. I don't want to lunch mine.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #12
rcign

Betcha it wasn't the FAG crankshaft bearings that went bad....
It would be interesting to see if the crank pin failed like the DAs with the wrong material, or the roller bearing....
And the manufacturer of the caged roller big end bearing....
Old 02-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
Al Lewis

I take it they weren't forged 4340 Ralph?

Old 02-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #14
rcign

Don't know, Dave said the originals were OK, then the supplier changed the material...About 1000 bad crank pins got out before the error was discovered...No problems since...
A&M used hardened steel dowel pins, they didn't last too well either...Brison apparently fixed THAT problem....
Designing engines is not as easy as some people would think.....
Old 02-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Al Lewis

I'm well aware of that. I design machines and tooling to repair and refuel our submarine and carrier fleet for the DOD as a toolmaker. I have to deal with a lot of different materials and alloys every day. They all have their strong points and their weak points but if you choose the wrong one for the wrong application, disaster. Personally I wouldn't make a crank out of anything but forged 4340. As for hardened dowels??? Who's idea was that??