logo
Old 03-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by FastnLow
Uber Contributor
Joined Feb 2006
614 Posts
Fiber optic leads.

I have noticed several people talking about fiber optics to replace standard servo leads. Don't know anything about them. Who, what, where and why? Fill me in please, thanks guys.
FastnLow is offline Find More Posts by FastnLow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by JayB
Look Boss, DeePlane DeePlane!!
Exit 16W, NJ
Joined Jan 2006
623 Posts
Re: Fiber optic leads.

Ya know I was waiting for someone to ask that question. Thanks for steppin to the plate Fasty! Fiber optic servo leads... sounds confusing at first. I deal with a lot of fiber optic stuff at work and the stuff is pretty cool. But how that technology translates to servo leads is beyond me.

Servos need 3 things power ground and a signal. (hence the 3 wires) I know you cant transfer power through a fiber optic cable. I know you cant ground anything through a fiber optic cable. So the FOC must be for the signal wire. But I don't see how it would be efficient to have a voltage coded signal transferred to light signal then run across the servo extension then transfered back to a voltage coded signal to run into the servo. I think fiber optic receivers and servos would be sweet. I'm sure the resolution would be through the roof. I'm curious to see how it works. Good question.
JayB is offline Find More Posts by JayB
Old 03-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by Dennis C
I have Issues
Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,314 Posts

Roger sells them .

http://forgues-research.com/
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old 03-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by Edge 540
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2006
3,740 Posts

Aren't fiber optics sensitive to vibration? It is glass after all. I seems the tremendous vibrations and jarring of our aircraft (relative to say a buried cable) would rec havoc on such a system. I'm sure it could be worked out, but that might be a problem. I know they already use some of this stuff...how did they solve this problem... or was it a problem?
Edge 540 is offline Find More Posts by Edge 540
Old 03-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Chile
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts

Guys,

You can tie knots in fiber optic cable, it aint brittle at all. If you have ever seen some of those hippy lamps that rotate and the light comes out of thousands of white strands. Thats the stuff except its covered in a tough plastic cover.

How does it work. Well as Jay said you need three things to make a servo work. + and - 6 volts for example. Plus the signal for the servo.

Well you dont send any voltage down a fiber optic cable. So you still need to send the voltage the old way. Yes wires. Of course you can put a battery pack way down the tail end and run your elevators and say rudder off one seperate battery, but you send the servo signal from a transmitter unit that converts the servo signal to a light source that then sends that signal down the plastic tube to a receiver where it gets converted back to an electrical signal.

Whats the advantage. Well the big one is you can put your servos 100 feet away and they still work as there is no signal degredation in the fiber optic tube. Of course you put the batteries close to the servos. UAV's use some of this technology. Remember the signal wire (white or yellow or brown) is really susceptible to magnetic interference. Any signal anomolies will be translated to a servo movement that is not intended. That plastic and g;ass tube doesnt even care about the magnetic fields floating around it. It just likes light.

This is how Smart-Flys ignition cutoff system works. It takes a signal from the RX and converts it, delivers it to a fibre optic switch that simply turns the battery feed to the ignition on or off. Because the ignition battery is normally up near the front there is absolutely no electrical or mechanical path for the ignition pulses to feed back into the RX and cause an ignition induced interference on your RX.

Its all magic, smoke and mirrors type stuff. I'm sure theres some electrical super genious dude who can explain it a lot better.

Kiwi
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old 03-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Find More Posts by FastnLow
Uber Contributor
Joined Feb 2006
614 Posts

Does not seem to be worth it at $45 for 4'!
FastnLow is offline Find More Posts by FastnLow
Old 03-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by forgues research
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge 540
Aren't fiber optics sensitive to vibration? It is glass after all. I seems the tremendous vibrations and jarring of our aircraft (relative to say a buried cable) would rec havoc on such a system. I'm sure it could be worked out, but that might be a problem. I know they already use some of this stuff...how did they solve this problem... or was it a problem?
If I may, the Fiber Optic cable I use is of the plastic type and not of the glass type. So vibration does not affect it. Also it is extremely light and on large aircraft with long extension, you eleminate the signal copper wire which is usually as heavy as the power wires. Also no long signal wires to pick up stray noise.. Another is the signal voltage at the decoder end where the servos are, are a constant voltage that the servo battery offers. No degradation. So what this means, you can Y connect as many servos as you want on the one channel with no problems.

any servos going bad, will not feed back into the receiver/s to cause a lock up.

Is it worth the price, well people are installing very expensive carbon fiber spinners, and such which will not add a thing to the safety of the airplane, so its up to the individual to make this decision.

Since I only sell about 2000 of these a year, it doesn't warrant me to continue, but I will continue to make them availlable because I would not fly my own large scale without them.

Roger
forgues research is offline Find More Posts by forgues research
Old 03-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by Edge 540
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2006
3,740 Posts

Thanks for the info. I made my comment mostly as a question to get an explanation. Cool stuff!
Edge 540 is offline Find More Posts by Edge 540

Quick Reply