Old 04-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts
Re: 30 lbs. . . . .MX-2

Ad now a few full-body shots.

Paint, btw, is "Painters Choice" available at Home Depot. Primer is automotive "Duplicolor" white primer, not the sandable type. One light coat of primer, 1-2 coats of color depending on how well it covered. I was as sparing as possible with the paint, and there are a few spots that have a "faded" look where I did not get quite enough pigment down. You really have to look hard to see them, though. the object here was shiny, and fully colored, not 2" thick and wet looking, htough if I waxed the beast it would definitely look wet.

I still need to finish the graphics (on order), and repeat the blue colors on the wing on the horizontal stabilizer, but otherwise the plane is finished.
KrisW is offline Find More Posts by KrisW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by Dennis C
I have Issues
Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,314 Posts

That looks really good kris.....better then what i thought what would come out of a spray can.
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old 04-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C
That looks really good kris.....better then what i thought what would come out of a spray can.
If I had used a dust free paint both, tack rag, and clear coat it would have looked the same as a high-dollar automotive finish. From 10 feet you can't tell the difference, and it cost me a whole $13.00 to paint the plane. I used 1/4 can of the Red color, about half a can of the Blue, 1/3 can of primer, and a bit of black (that I had on the shelf) for the underwing stripes. No mixing, no heavy prep work, no catalyzing, and no expensive shop facilities.

Unless you are trying for a show-stopper, I can't see a reason to get more complicated than I did. I'll wax it in a week or so, to shine things up a bit more. . .
Old 04-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts

Okay, a word on PROPS.

If you notice in the pics of the plane, it has one of the VESS props on it. I got in a total of 3 flights on the prop, but the wind was so lousy (and getting worse) that I decided to put the plane on the ground and leave it there. I'm talking a documented 12-5 with gusts to 25 on the GROUND, in the pits at the field. Up in the air it was a totally different story. Looking at the current conditions when I got home, the record was showing 15-20 knots and some gusts as high as 35. Definitely a good test of how well a propeller performs in the wind.

Okay, the Vess 27-B is draggier than a Mejzlik 28-10. . by about 250-300 rpm (as my calibrated ears said). During full throttle passes it began to "Moan" like a Menz-s, but up to that point was considerably quieter than any wood prop I've ever used. I have the motor running a little rich on the top end at the moment (you canhear it barely tick a burble at full song), but didn't want to play with the needles until I had a calm day, in case I got things a bit too lean and had to land deadstick.

Even in these heavy winds the engine/prop combo pulled the plane very well, capable of double snaps on vertical, and most flying took place below 1/2 throttle. I did a few large loops with rolls and snaps at the top, in the wind, at 1/2 throttle for the pullup, and the plane flew them very well without adding power. Downwind loops required a bit more throttle to help overcome the 2nd quarter and wind in the planes nose, but once you got the plane near the apex you could back off and things were fine. In either case. . plenty of power. I was doing canopy-to me verticals, with the tail hanging out about 20-25 degrees, at about 3/4 throttle for 800-1000 foot lines, rolling if I wanted to, and the plane never slowed down. It was not ballistic like 150 would have done, but had very good vertical penetration at a constant speed. Increasing throttle gave more speed, but it really didn't require it.

As for hovering and 3D. . that will require a calmer day to play with the plane. Sunday is forecast to be 4-5 knots at 8 a.m., slowly increasing to abotu 10-12 by noon, so I guess I'll be doing some more dialing in and testing on Easter Sunday.

I hope the neighbors don't get mad and try to crucify me for making noise.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by Dennis C
I have Issues
Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,314 Posts

Your welcome!!
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old 04-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Your welcome!!
OH!!. . . uh. .Thanks Dennis. . .
Old 04-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
CAP?? What's that?
Avondale, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
626 Posts

check out this MX-2 at Red Bull flown by Mike Goulian!
Matt Chapman is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
Old 04-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts

Matt. . got a bigger pic?
Old 04-14-2006, 11:11 PM
RTK
Find More Posts by RTK
RTK
Left Coast
Joined Jan 2006
4,416 Posts

Wow, that almost looks like a mid-air of some sort. I really need a bigger screen

Hey Kris, Nice job! I can't wait to see some video. I am thinking of doing the same thing, only with the 115.
RTK is offline Find More Posts by RTK
Old 04-15-2006, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK
Wow, that almost looks like a mid-air of some sort. I really need a bigger screen

Hey Kris, Nice job! I can't wait to see some video. I am thinking of doing the same thing, only with the 115.
I'm sure it coems as no surprise that I already have a 115 on order?????

An additioinal 200-300 rpm would make this plane perfect.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
CAP?? What's that?
Avondale, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
626 Posts

I can post a larger pic. if some tells me how to get it on screen. I have not figured that one out yet here at FG.
It is taken at the exact moment Mike hit a pylon at the Red Bull races. very cool.
Matt Chapman is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
Old 04-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by JagerBomb
St Peters Missouri
Joined Jan 2006
1,123 Posts

here's the pic
JagerBomb is offline Find More Posts by JagerBomb
Old 04-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Find More Posts by JagerBomb
St Peters Missouri
Joined Jan 2006
1,123 Posts

Not to hijack your thread kris,but, I just got back from another 7 flights on my MX2 and I just absolutely love it. That is 20 flights and I think I'm close to having the thrust line trimmed. It is a precision tool that 3D's like an edge, WOW.
JagerBomb is offline Find More Posts by JagerBomb
Old 04-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts

Not hijacking at all, Mark. Mine tracks like its on a rail, and the snaps are wonderful. It flies a lot like a Super Extra, but quicker, crisper, and with a lighter touch. Less than 10 flights on mine so far, and granted it does not have the moonshot vertical of a 150 powered plane, but the total package balance is superb. I can hardly wait for the 115 to arrive so I can put a little more oomph on the nose. it willmake it just that much better.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Kris... Nice man..nice.
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX