Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > R/C Topics > Nitro Power
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 07-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
GooseF22
Old Grey Beard Fighter Pilot

Default super tigre G90

anyone know the factory low and high needle settings for the G90. the low needle was out of it when I got it and havent been able to make it run right.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
XJet
Uber Contributor

Default Re: super tigre G90

What do you mean by "haven't been able to make it run right".

The G90 is an old design with a very dated carby.

Don't expect it to throttle, transition or hold a good midrange like a more modern design.

I've got several ST90s and no matter how you fiddle with the needles, plugs or props, you'll never get the crisp, clean mid-range that an OS or other brand of engine will offer.

Other than that, the simple rules for tuning are:

1. Start with the main needle 2.5 turns open

2. start the engine and tune for peak RPMs then back off by about 300

3. throttle back to an idle. If it won't idle, just go as slow as you can where the engine will keep running.

4. pinch the fuel line close to the carby. If the engine revs up -- lean out the bottom end.

5. repeat steps 3&4 until you can get a reasonably low idle.

6. from an idle, jam the throttle open. If the engine dies -- open the low-end needly another 1/4 turn and repeat. If the engine blows clouds of smoke, coughs and splutters but picks up to full throttle - that's probably as good as you're going to get (it *is* an ST) but you can try leaning the bottom end a little more.

The distributor says that you shouldn't shoot for an idle any lower than 2500 RPMs. The engine *will* idle much lower than that but the problem is that you then end up having to richen the low-end needle so much that the mid-range gets *real* rough.

This is *not* a 3D engne!
Old 07-03-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
Fuelman
Flyin' Around

Goose,
Which carb do you have? The one with one big brass needle sticking out the high speed side only and a recessed low speed needle? Or; is it the one with a big brass needle sticking out both the high and low speed sides?

If its the older, (two big needles) carb, they are the best carbs ST ever had and it was a mistake to change them. If it is the older two big needle carb, start with the high speed out 3 turns and the low speed out 1.5 turns and the spray bar cut facing straight down the throat. Then do what X-Jet recommends.
Fuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
GooseF22

thanks,
I may have given bad info. its a newer with the newer carb. its only a year old. anyway, we were running a header with an experimental muffler that didn't have enough back pressure. our latest one was alot easier to tune. I just wondered what low needle setting you start with. I got it running good on the stock muffler now, so it will be fine.

thanks all.
g
Old 07-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
upperking
Flyin' Around

G90 is prolly the most reliable motor i HAVE OWNED SINCE 1995
I have it in my biplane and have never had to adjust the carb since the 90"s:P
transition from idle to full throttle has alwas been solid I never had any problems in hovering or harrier flying....
upperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:44 AM   #6
GooseF22

We found the problem, the needle valve had an issue. will let you know when I get it all back together and run it with the new header/muffler combo. its a long header with a beercan muffler. If you saw it at toledo on my fusion, red white and blue fusion on the center table.

We have added a baffle system to the muffler for better throttle control and are fine tuning with an OS91, and the G90 is next.