Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Technology > What's Hot
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 12-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #136
anders e
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Default Re: EXTREME FLIGHT 50CC EDGE 540T AND CAP!!!!

Thanks
http://www.planebenderproducts.com/
http://www.bandegraphix.com/ http://www.aztechaeromodels.com/
anders e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #137
mstam
The Flying Dutchman

Keep in mind that if you use the MTW header sold by DA which has a length of 11", you need to prop your engine for 7700-7800rpm to get best performance (Vess 23A for the DLE/DA50). A 14" header at 7200rpm works much better. Will give you a huge boost in torque at lower rpms.

Don't understand why DA orders them too short from MTW. Same story with the MTW RE3 pipes for the DA 85 and 170. Headers are 2" short.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #138
anders e

Ok.
Where do i get 14'' header?
Old 12-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #139
mstam
The Flying Dutchman

Quote: Originally Posted by anders e
View Post
Ok.
See if you can fit it first. The pipe tunnel of the Extra 300 is a bit short, so maybe the one of the Edge too.

You can either silver solder a 2" extension to the 11" header DA is selling and prop your engine for 7400rpm or contact http://www.mtw-silencer.com/ directly for a 25mm header. They are not so keen on selling a header only w/o their RE2 pipe, which btw is an excellent choice as well. A few ounces heavier though but virtually indestructibly.

If you want the best of the best, get a BME 58, Carl Mueller header and ES pipe for 55-60cc engines, and a Vess 23B. Ask Karl Mueller for a 14" header and if he can make it a bit wider so it won't be too deep. http://www.rcaerobats.net/Mueller/Mu...tomHeaders.htm

Mount the ES pipe loosely in the center where it balances with a cable tie and silicon tubing around the tie. Mount the header and pipe and use the clamps. Then run the engine for 10 minutes at 1/4 throttle and don't touch the Teflon coupler afterward or the pipe might come loose.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #140
anders e

Thank you very much
Old 12-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #141
mxcop
Team Extreme

View Post
Ok.

I'm swinging a 23-8 Mejzlik with my DA 50 and ES pipe, the recommended header length for that setup with Mej. 22/23-8 is 11-11 1/2".

Lee
Desert Aircraft
Jersey Modeler
mxcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #142
mstam
The Flying Dutchman

View Post
Thank you very much
You're welcome!

The BME 58 has double counterweights and 3 bearings on the crankshaft so it runs much smoother than any of the other 50cc class engines. And it's several ounces lighter than the DA50 and much more powerful.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #143
mstam
The Flying Dutchman

Quote: Originally Posted by mxcop
View Post
I'm swinging a 23-8 Mejzlik with my DA 50 and ES pipe, the recommended header length for that setup with Mej. 22/23-8 is 11-11 1/2".

Lee
This gives you a good indication about header lengths. 11" works well for close to 8000rpm like with a BME 58 and Vess 23A or DA50 and Vess 22A. Nice to pull out of a hover like a foamy does, not so nice for anything else.

See the BME threads for more tests re header lengths. Your best bet is getting a 14" header which can be shortened to your liking.
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	58ccmvvs-power.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	231772 133.0 KB · Views: 58

Old 12-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #144
Al Lewis

Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! Wesse's Haaard Man Award!: For showing our community the joy of eating jap-a-lin-os and being a haaaard man! Wesse Power! - Issue reason: You're a haaaaaaard man! 
Total Awards: 3

Quote: Originally Posted by mstam
You're welcome!

The BME 58 has double counterweights and 3 bearings on the crankshaft so it runs much smoother than any of the other 50cc class engines. And it's several ounces lighter than the DA50 and much more powerful.
Try it against one of the new RCGF "B" line 62cc's. I think you'll find that they run just as smooth!!!

http://www.southeastrcengines.com
http://www.vessaero.com

Remember every second of every day there are thousands of men and women giving of their lives to keep you safe. Never forget them for they never forget you!!
Al Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #145
mstam
The Flying Dutchman

Quote: Originally Posted by Al Lewis
View Post
Try it against one of the new RCGF "B" line 62cc's. I think you'll find that they run just as smooth!!!
Nice engine!

Weight with ignition and muffler
66.3 ounces (1880g)

BME58 with ignition and muffler
50.4 ounces (1411g)

The BME is almost one pound lighter and has double counterweights and 3 bearings so less vibration and more durable. I'm sure it's also more expensive than the RCGF
Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #146
mxcop
Team Extreme

View Post
This gives you a good indication about header lengths. 11" works well for close to 8000rpm like with a BME 58 and Vess 23A or DA50 and Vess 22A. Nice to pull out of a hover like a foamy does, not so nice for anything else.

See the BME threads for more tests re header lengths. Your best bet is getting a 14" header which can be shortened to your liking.

Thanks for the advice, I'm just stating what the guy that makes the pipes told me, plus I've flown this setup and it's been great for me with both the RE2 and ES pipe. I've been running stock headers on the DA 100 with RE2's as well, very good results and good transition. I'm using 14" headers with RE3's on the 170, and do plan on doing some testing with the length on the 50/RE2 setup but just haven't got to it yet. I'm getting btween 7-7100 with the DA 50/RE2/Mejzlik 23-8 and 6800 with the 100, I'm very happy with the overall results.

Lee
Desert Aircraft
Jersey Modeler
Old 12-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #147
mstam
The Flying Dutchman

View Post
Thanks for the advice, I'm just stating what the guy that makes the pipes told me, plus I've flown this setup and it's been great for me with both the RE2 and ES pipe. I've been running stock headers on the DA 100 with RE2's as well, very good results and good transition. I'm using 14" headers with RE3's on the 170, and do plan on doing some testing with the length on the 50/RE2 setup but just haven't got to it yet. I'm getting btween 7-7100 with the DA 50/RE2/Mejzlik 23-8 and 6800 with the 100, I'm very happy with the overall results.

Lee
I also started with a Vess 23B at 7200rpm and 11" RE2 header. I soldered a 2" extension to the header and the result is simply a stronger engine at lower rpms which is actually what we want.

For our applications header length isn't that critical as long it isn't too short A longer header usually means less top power and more torque (up to a certain degree).
Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #148
mxcop
Team Extreme

View Post
I also started with a Vess 23B at 7200rpm and 11" RE2 header. I soldered a 2" extension to the header and the result is simply a stronger engine at lower rpms which is actually what we want.

For our applications header length isn't that critical as long it isn't too short A longer header usually means less top power and more torque (up to a certain degree).
I haven't tried a Vess prop yet but can tell you that my buddy had the 23B, we had the same setup and our planes seemed to run totally different, he's now down to a 22a and his performance is around the same as mine. Props alone can make a big difference in performance and tuning.

Lee
Desert Aircraft
Jersey Modeler
Old 12-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #149
mstam
The Flying Dutchman

View Post
I haven't tried a Vess prop yet but can tell you that my buddy had the 23B, we had the same setup and our planes seemed to run totally different, he's now down to a 22a and his performance is around the same as mine. Props alone can make a big difference in performance and tuning.

Lee
I used the 22A for break-in and it was hitting 7900rpm on a DL50, 11" MTW header and RE2 pipe. Bit too much to my liking. I'm now at 7200rpm, 13" header, Vess 23B.

For the DA/DL(e) 50/55 a Vess 22B works very well on a regular muffler. I also tried some Mejzlik props but like the throttle response of the Vess better.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #150
ben_beyer
Notorious B.E.N.

Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! 
Total Awards: 1
Send a message via AIM to ben_beyer Send a message via Yahoo to ben_beyer

Quote: Originally Posted by cjcyclesrc
View Post
Lee,

Come on!! What are you waiting on?

I haven't been able to break the Extra either. Mine gets stress tested every flight. I'm thinking it's got 500-600 flights on it. I'm trying out some ES pipes also. It looks like a very good way to go. The pipe, header, coupler, and clamps only weigh 10oz.
Is that for your Brillelli?
ben_beyer is online now   Reply With Quote