Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Airframes and Kits
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 03-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #46
scot
it's to counteract the torque

Send a message via Skype™ to scot
Default Re: Carden Ultimate

I'm an ARF guy. This kit makes me wish I was a builder. I can't wait 'till some of these come up for sale used and RTF! I guess it'll be a year or two...
scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #47
smokin
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

mr miracle... i'm excited to watch your build thread on this beauty! you will undoubtedly do this airframe justice! it's always nice to watch your builds!

matt
Old 03-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #48
Danny Baker
Doo It! Doo It!

Chris: It was very difficult starting out for us. I started this adventure in '75. The only thing we had on top of the transmitter was an on'/off switch and trim tabs. We had two lefts and two right servos. We had to plan out our pushrod location. If your elevator went down when you pulled up, you were in big trouble birdsong. I remember the first giant scale planes back in the late 70's. They were 1/4 plywood everything. Even had 1/4 ply ribs. An 80" plane was about 25 lbs. or so. Boy have things change.
Dan,
Danny Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #49
smokin
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

this ulty sure is a far cry from the Byron Origionals "PIPE DREAM" wouldn't you say??? lol
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #50
ben_beyer
Notorious B.E.N.

Send a message via AIM to ben_beyer Send a message via Yahoo to ben_beyer

Quote: Originally Posted by Danny Baker
View Post
Chris: It was very difficult starting out for us. I started this adventure in '75. The only thing we had on top of the transmitter was an on'/off switch and trim tabs. We had two lefts and two right servos. We had to plan out our pushrod location. If your elevator went down when you pulled up, you were in big trouble birdsong. I remember the first giant scale planes back in the late 70's. They were 1/4 plywood everything. Even had 1/4 ply ribs. An 80" plane was about 25 lbs. or so. Boy have things change.
Dan,
That sounds fun to land...
ben_beyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #51
SleepyC

Quote: Originally Posted by jmiracle
View Post
....got on the list for this last week....hoping by the time it ships I'll be caught up on all my other projects! Cant wait....this will be killer for sure....will definitely be doing a build thread!
SWEET! When can i pick up my finished plane?
SleepyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:16 AM   #52
sensei
Super Weight Freak

Quote: Originally Posted by Danny Baker
View Post
Dan,
I remember those days too, thank god they are gone brother...

Bob
sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #53
Danny Baker
Doo It! Doo It!

A few years later we wanted to fly 50% bipes. Built three of them with a friend. These bipes were about 100" in span (same size as today's 150cc bipes). We had to come up with all our own parts. Even made our own mufflers, put two landing gears on top of one another (lam. together) to hold up to the landings. All the wheels we put on those went flat when we sat the plane down. We made the wheel pants out of balsa. A wopper cowl made out of balsa and ply. The 3W-120 just came out, so that was the engine. The planes weighed over 70 lbs each. Some of you might remember these from the east coast. Giant Weeks Solutions backed by Mr. Herb Walls. Mr. Walls and I were great friends, he let me fly them at shows for him.
Dan,

Last edited by Danny Baker; 03-19-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #54
Rocket Ron
Super Contributor

Dan,
Remember Miles Reed the designer of the Weeks Solution? Great guy that always put on a good show. Back then I was so impressed with "this old guy" that got out there and did rolling circles. hehe I thought " Man! Someday I'd sure like to be able to do a rolling circle!" Now I can do them inside and out and now it's other aerobatics I'm wishing I could do. Guess there's always something.

Anyway, built one Weeks and three Weeks Solutions but NEVER a 50%'er. You were breaking ground doing that! I also remember a "cutting edge" builder back then that said "you should never build these giant scale planes with out plywood, hardwood and epoxy. Amazing how far we've come!

Thanks for keeping us up on the latest Ultimate project! See you at the LARKS!
Ron
Rocket Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #55
Danny Baker
Doo It! Doo It!

Miles Reed was one of the first guys to do the rolling circle. I got a VHS of him doing it at an Airshow in Bristol, TN. It rolled about 6 or 7 times, but he did it. The tape is from around 1994 or so. I went to Toledo one year with a couple of TOC guys and the above mentioned Herb Walls, we stopped off at Miles's house and spent the night. Miles had our tickets waiting for us. He's a great guy. At 70 years old (he's older now), he could run down the entire hill of a slope soaring event and run back up it to get a glider for someone that did not slope the slope correctly. An amazing individual.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #56
Andy Thomas
OK 1 Roll, No I Mean 2 Point

I cant wait to see the Caroline bags for this!!

Team Airtronics
HobbyZone
BadBradGraphics
Andy Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #57
Danny Baker
Doo It! Doo It!

Andy: The bags have already been designed. There will be four bags for the two wings. Sorta' like bag halves. They are designed so one person can bag up the wings. A velcro strip in the midde will hold the bag halves together, sorta' like the current stab bags, except they overlap.

Dan Baker,
Team Carden
Old 03-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #58
crhammond
Uber Contributor

For one-piece wings I hope Carloine can make them open length-wise. Extra padding too since the one piece are likely to get some bumps putting them in and out of the trailer. Handles on one side and both long ends too so they can be slid out of the trailer easily also.
crhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #59
crhammond
Uber Contributor

Opps - I should have hit refresh first. Oh well... I will make my own.
crhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #60
Galaxy 3D
The Blimp man

Any time line on the release of the kit?
Galaxy 3D is offline   Reply With Quote