Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Airframes and Kits
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 05-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #91
TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!

Awards Showcase
FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. Super-Huck!: Presented for incredible contributions from our members, to our community. - Issue reason: For bringing back the incredible action from the 2006 Don Lowe Masters in form of photos, writeups, and mass quantities of videos for all of our enjoyment. 
Total Awards: 2
Send a message via AIM to TheTank
Default Re: Carden Ultimate

Quote: Originally Posted by Danny Baker
View Post
It's freshman physics to say that a swept back gear puts more stress on the forward two gear bolts than normal or swept forward gear during a bouncy landing.

Dan Baker
Team Carden
That is correct... yet you have failed to answer the question: what does it matter if you land properly and have a gear plate that is designed correctly to handle the stress? As for the bolts, it is also "freshman physics" that the tensil strength on a set of steel bolts is probably a bit higher than that of the wood the gear is mounted to... I used to harrier land my 31 pound, 35% Ultimate, and never had any bolts break, thats for sure, and I believe they were 8-32s. The gear plate had a small piece of aluminum angle tying it in to the motorbox, additional stress issue solved. Seems like a pretty simple issue to me.
3D HobbyShop
Aircraft International/Quantum Hobby
TheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #92
jmiracle
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Send a message via MSN to jmiracle

I think there's more stress on those bolts than most people realize. I agree with you Tank that you'd think the strength of a set of steel bolts is much greater than that of a block of maple wood.....however, a couple years ago, I had an ignition battery go bad in my 35% Carden in a hover......belly flopped it from about 20ft. All 4 of those steel bolts (8-32's!) sheared clean off without so much as a scratch on the wood. I backed out the broken bolts and spun news ones into the old holes.....went on to fly the plane for 2 more seasons without a single issue after that.
jmiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #93
SleepyC
Thanks for the Support!

Awards Showcase
Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: WERD! FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. Brass Balls Award: For having sack.. - Issue reason: For having the SACK to photochop two of the most respected names in the hobby into precarious photographs. See http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?p=90555 Platinum Diamond Studed Steaming Fabergé Turd: The SleepyC award. Enough said. - Issue reason: Because you, Sleepy, are a triple Platinum Daimond Studed Steaming Faberge Turd! In a good way of course! LOL! 300+ post thread, and took it like a man! 
Total Awards: 4

I remember that Jason, I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it's dead... OH CRAP.
And when we got to the plane, the gear had simply pulled off and a tiny bit of balsa was crushed.
You had it fixed in I think 7 days. Cardens are seriously strong airplanes!
Flyinggiants.com Podcast #5 “Live from Joe Nall!"
Join me as I speak with:
- Kyle “The Alien” who was with PAU
- Chris Hinson from EF
- John “TheTank” Banks
- Stewart from HobbyKing
- Jason Danhakl From Danhakl Designs
- Elie “Snap-A-Saurus”
- Shawn Spiker and Nick Frederick from Hitec.
- Sleepyc and Adam from RCLogger wrap up the entire show on our drive home.

FLYINGGIANTS.COM PODCAST #5 - LIVE FROM JOE NALL!
SleepyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #94
jmiracle

Send a message via MSN to jmiracle

yup....that was the day that really sold me on how well these planes are built. I only had to replace the belly pan because the gear rolled back and crushed the first few inches.....that and i had the typical "dimples" in the bottoms of the wings where the wheel pants smacked 'em.

I ordered the replacement belly pan from Carden on Monday, had it on Wednesday, and had the plane repaired and ready to fly by the weekend. I couldn't have asked for an easier repair.
jmiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #95
tonyc9075
Super Contributor

Subscribed
tonyc9075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #96
MikeC3D
on a vacation

MikeC3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #97
Bdegan
Learn 1 thing new Every Day

A rearward swept gear looks awesome. But the one thing that happens is the wheels or axles end up being very close to the balance point of the aircraft.
For those that have to fly off grass, and not all grass fields are putting greens. It would cause it to be very sensitive to nosing over.
A straight gear helps with this problem, although it doesn't look as good.
My suggestion would be to mount the swept gear as far forward as would be allowed and remain within the IMAC 10% to scale rule.
Bdegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #98
Wojcigitty
THROTTLEMELON

Send a message via AIM to Wojcigitty

Quote: Originally Posted by TheTank
View Post
That is correct... yet you have failed to answer the question: what does it matter if you land properly and have a gear plate that is designed correctly to handle the stress? As for the bolts, it is also "freshman physics" that the tensil strength on a set of steel bolts is probably a bit higher than that of the wood the gear is mounted to... I used to harrier land my 31 pound, 35% Ultimate, and never had any bolts break, thats for sure, and I believe they were 8-32s. The gear plate had a small piece of aluminum angle tying it in to the motorbox, additional stress issue solved. Seems like a pretty simple issue to me.
It is certainly possible to design a gear plate to handle the stresses involved with swept landing gear. With a correctly designed gear plate, the gear should bend before the gear plate rips out (in my opinion).

However, as has been pointed out before, swept landing gear causes more stress than right angle or forward swept gear. This is because with right angle gear, all or most landing forces push directly into the bottom of the fuselage. With swept gear, the front gear bolts are loaded in tension, and the rear gear bolts are not loaded at all. There is a moment (twisting force) about the gear plate that tries to bend the gear backwards.

So with swept gear, there is additional force to deal with. This means that you need to make the structure beefier, which means more material, which means more weight.

It comes down to this: swept gear looks badass, and it's used on the full scale version for whatever reason. But on models, right angle or forward-swept gear is a better choice because it means less stress on the gear plate, allowing for a lighter gear plate.

I'm sure the guys at Carden are still trying to find an acceptable compromise between scale looks and structural integrity/weight, and it's certainly a difficult challenge.

The airplane looks awesome, by the way...I want one.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #99
MikeC3D
on a vacation

Ok, another month has gone by, any more news to report ? Any pics yet?
MikeC3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #100
Danny Baker
Doo It! Doo It!

Mr Mike: The 20-300 goes in the air tomorrow, Thursday, at high noon. The plane is done and the engine has been ran up. The principals are in route to the meeting field as we speek. As promised, I will be there to take it all in. I will take pictures. As of now there is only one picture of it completed, and I've not got permission to post. Full details when I return.

Dan Baker
Team Carden
Danny Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #101
rcflyguy
workin on rollers!!!

Sweet! Can't wait!
rcflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #102
reyn3545

reyn3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #103
T. Bob
Major League Deadbeat

Awards Showcase
FlyingGiants TBob Award!: Much coveted award for providing continued excellence in forum posting. - Issue reason: Excellence in forum posting! You are the proud recipient of the much coveted Tbob award! FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. 
Total Awards: 2

Found a picture of it!

Looks pretty good!
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	lgpma1023.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	185163 20.3 KB · Views: 131

Old 06-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #104
cjcyclesrc

Quote: Originally Posted by T. Bob
View Post
Found a picture of it!

Looks pretty good!
cjcyclesrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 AM   #105
craig77
Uber Contributor

Awesome!moving house and will be setting up my work bench waiting for this baby!
craig77 is offline   Reply With Quote