logo

Great Planes 50" Class Edge 540 EP Aerobat

The 50" class is an exciting, emerging category of electric aircraft, and the Edge 540T is sure to be a standout! Slightly smaller than traditional .40 glow models, 50" class planes boast many sophisticated features that discriminating pilots look for in an aerobatic ARF. The Edge 540T, the first in the E-Performance XLC (Extreme Light Concept) Series, takes those features a step further — resulting in a spirited performer that takes full advantage of advanced ElectriFly engineering and pre-fabrication to instantly become a leader in this bold new market!

• Carbon fiber, hand-selected woods and lightweight fiberglass combine to create an ARF that rivals the most exclusive aerobatic models on the market.
  • Airfoiled control surfaces, pre-hinged ailerons and rudder and a pre-installed motor box with cowl ring are just some of the examples of the attention to detail and pre-fabrication you'll find on this Edge 540T.
  • No expense has been spared in engineering a spirited performer that even the most discriminating pilot will appreciate.
  • Extensive preassembly and pre-covering in genuine MonoKote film accelerates box-to-flight line time to just a few hours.

Splash

Product Review:
GP Edge 540 T 50" EP Aerobat

Perspective By:
John Smalls

Manufacturer Contact:
Great Planes Model Distributors
P.O. Box 9021;

Manufacturer Website:

http://www.greatplanes.com/

FlyingGiants Ratings:

Packaging:
Kit Quality:
Ease of Build:
Introduction

Highslide JS       Highslide JS

The 50" class is an exciting, emerging category of electric aircraft, and the Edge 540T is sure to be a standout! Slightly smaller than traditional .40 glow models, 50" class planes boast many sophisticated features that discriminating pilots look for in an aerobatic ARF. The Edge 540T, the first in the E-Performance XLC (Extreme Light Concept) Series, takes those features a step further — resulting in a spirited performer that takes full advantage of advanced ElectriFly engineering and pre-fabrication to instantly become a leader in this bold new market!

• Carbon fiber, hand-selected woods and lightweight fiberglass combine to create an ARF that rivals the most exclusive aerobatic models on the market.
  • Airfoiled control surfaces, pre-hinged ailerons and rudder and a pre-installed motor box with cowl ring are just some of the examples of the attention to detail and pre-fabrication you'll find on this Edge 540T.
  • No expense has been spared in engineering a spirited performer that even the most discriminating pilot will appreciate.
  • Extensive preassembly and pre-covering in genuine MonoKote film accelerates box-to-flight line time to just a few hours.

Out of the Box:

Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS

When I was handed the GP Edge, I have to admit I was very excited. I have been an Edge 540 T fan for quite sometime, The thought of having a nice mid size electric version was very appealing. Upon opening the box my excitement was justified. The kit was well packaged, and the contents had the look of top notch quality product. 
I took out all the pieces from the box and looked at each one.
First impression, this plane was going to be awesome. The covering was tight, the parts were light and this plane was very well thought out. A wonderful feature that jumped out at me was the use of carbon fiber that was laminated to the balsa stringers for increased strength without sacrificing the models lightweight. Also a carbon fiber wing tube and all the hardware needed to complete the model were included. This is already starting to feel like Great Planes has a winner on their hands.

Product Specifications

SPECIFICATIONS
Stock Number: GPMA1572
Wingspan: 49.5 in (1260 mm)
Wing Area: 490 in² (31.6 dm²)
Weight: 3.25-3.5 lb (1470-1590 g)
Wing Loading: 15-16 oz sq/ft (46-49 g/dm²)
Length: 48 in (1220 mm)
Requires: 4-5 channel radio w/4 micro servos, receiver, 45A ESC, out-runner brushless motor, 14.8V 2100mAh LiPo battery

Starting the build

Great Planes is known for making high quality kits, including extensive hardware packages and providing very detailed assembly manuals. GP came through again with this model. In fact, the instruction manual is so detailed, I really feel anyone with the desire could successfully build this airplane kit. 

I started with the wings as the manual suggested and installed the Futaba S3115 Micro Precision servos.  First off, let me mention that all the hinging on the wings is factory installed. THATS RIGHT - NO WING HINGING TO DO!!These servos are a perfect match for this airplane. Providing around 40oz of torque and a nice fast response time. The servo installation was very simple. I started by heat shrinking on the 12" servo extensions to ensure a positive connection. The servo case is the perfect size and slides right into the servo bay in the wing. I marked the two holes, slid the servos back out, predrilled the holes, and dabbed a little thin CA on the holes to strengthen the wood. Popped the servos back in, and inserted the screws. Small tip: make sure your servo grommets have the base on the bottom of the grommet. This provides a larger base for the servo/grommet/rubber shock absorber to rest on.

After the servos were in, I  installed the provided servo horns. There work great and are very simple to install. just follow the detailed instructions.

Next came the control rods. Before I begin, I like to plug in the servo into my radio to make sure it's centered. I then do my best to center the servo horn in the position I will be using it. This will help deter any headache's in setup later on.
Thread on the nylon clevis to the control rod, (slide on the little piece of fuel tubing from the back side of the clevis. this tubing will be used to "lock" the clevis shut later on.) Attach the clevis to the control horn at the outer most hole. Now lay the control rod on top of your servo horn and mark where you will need to make the bend for the non threaded side of the control rod. Once marked, bend the control rod 90 deg, cut the extra rod leaving around 1/4" to insert through the servo horn. GP provides a simple clip to secure this end to the servo horn. Check to see if your servo and control surface are both centered. If the surface is slightly off, pop off the clevis, and adjust it a few turns until your surface and servo are both centered.

Finally to complete the wings, I glued in the Carbon fiber anti rotation pins. Again a very simple process.

Highslide JS 1 Highslide JS 2 Highslide JS 3 Highslide JS 4

Next  I put the fuse on it's feet. Again, very simple. The axles simply bolt on, the wheels slide on ,and the wheel collars are put into place. Another nice touch, the wheel pants already have the blind nuts installed. Simply slide them over the wheels and bolt into place for perfect alignment. I like to use blue locktight on these to insure they stay put.

Next I moved onto the tail wheel. Once again, all the hard work was done for you. Simply glue in  the plastic bushing into the pre drilled hole in the fuse, and glue in the tiller retainer in the predrilled hole in the rudder. Assemble the tail wheel assembly per instructions. It's a very lightweight tail wheel that works extremely well.

Next I installed the horizontal stab. Cut the covering for the horizontal stab and then insert and align the stab. Make sure you spend the extra time getting the alignment right. Also make sure you compare the alignment of the stab to the wing tube. if they are both not perfectly level now would be the time to make that adjustment. On my model they were in perfect alignment. IMPORTANT: before you glue in the horizontal stab make sure you insert the little metal elevator joiner. If you glue in the stab first you will have a serious headache getting the joiner in. (I have done this on a different model, and I can honestly say you will only make that mistake once.)

Since the elevator needs to be glued in, you will have to glue in the hinges here, take your time, do one side at a time, and make sure you glue in the elevator joiner. If you use 30 min epoxy it will make a very solid elevator.

Highslide JS 5 Highslide JS 6 Highslide JS 7 Highslide JS 8

Next I installed the servo for the elevator. Just use the same method used to install the main wing servos and you should be all set.

The kit comes with the hardware to install the rudder servo in two ways. A pull -pull set up, and a direct control rod set up. I chose the direct set up for a few reasons. I will be using some larger 4 cell battery packs, and I generally prefer the feel of a direct control rod set up, even on my giant scale airplanes.

Next I  installed the Rimfire 42-50-800 Brushless Out runner motor. Since this is the motor recommended for this airframe, it bolted right up to the pre-installed blind nuts. A little locktite, and the motor was ready to go.  I then attached the Great Planes Silver Series SS-45A brushless ESC to the side of the fire wall to provide plenty of cooling and ran the wires back into the fuse. Simple zip ties were used to hold the ESC. This motor/ESC combo on a 4 cell pack should prove to provide plenty of zoom for any style of aerobatics including full on 3D.

Once the motor and ESC was installed I mounted the cowl. This is really a non-event. The cowl mounts using rare earth magnets, and is a very clean install. I then put on the included spinner and mounted a APC 12-6E prop. (I balanced the prop prior to mounting)

I also cut out the covering near the back of the airplane between the two bottom stringers to allow cooling air to move over the battery and out  of the fuse,

Finally I assembled the airframe, and mounted my Fuatba R617FS 2.4 GHz receiver and installed the ElectriFly Power series 4 cell 2100 Lipo pack. I powered up my Futaba 7C 2.4 GHz transmitter and proceeded to program the airplane.

The control response was crisp and precise. the servos really centered well, and with a few short bursts of the motor, I could tell this combo had some real power.

I can not wait to fly this airplane. Unfortunately, the winter weather has kept me grounded. As soon as I get a window of nice weather this bird will take to the skies.

Highslide JS 9 Highslide JS 10 Highslide JS 11 Highslide JS 12

On hold due to Weather

The winter weather has kept this plane grounded. But here is a few shots of the completed model.

Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS Highslide JS

Conclusion

As stated above, I can not wait to fly this airplane. Unfortunately, the winter weather has kept me grounded. As soon as I get a window of nice weather this bird will take to the skies.

But from the build of this airplane, I have no doubts that this airframe will fly amazingly well. It is light, it is stiff, and the design is very well thought out. Even without flying the plane, it may very well be my favorite EP plane I own!

Great Planes Model Distributors
P.O. Box 9021; http://www.greatplanes.com/
Last edited by SleepyC; 12-26-2008 at 03:41 PM..
Old 01-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by crazyjoe
co
Joined Jan 2006
1,004 Posts
Re: Great Planes 50" Class Edge 540 EP Aerobat

I put one of these together for someone. Its a real nice looking plane. Its a very quick build. Construction looks great. Its winter here so I have no flight report.
crazyjoe is offline Find More Posts by crazyjoe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by molly
carlyle ill
Joined May 2008
224 Posts

I want one bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm flying a 50 inch Xtra 260, have crashed it 3 times and am waiting for it to die so I can get the Great Plains Edge 540.
molly is offline Find More Posts by molly
Old 01-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

Guys , my buddy John built it, and it looks good.
I want to get on the sticks BAD.
I'm going to help him film the plane when it's ready to go... but Ohio is deep into COLD, WET SNOWY WINDy weather...
so the plane sits... I got a real good look at this plane it it looks very nice.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Suspended Account
SanAntonio,TX
Joined Jun 2006
3,389 Posts

No prob Sleepy, Just crate it , ship it to sunny San Antonio Texas, and Me and Bob would be glad to test hop it for you....A review even...lol
MikeC3D is offline Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by aryajet
HIGH AoA
H Town, TX
Joined Feb 2007
74 Posts

aryajet is offline Find More Posts by aryajet
Last edited by aryajet; 08-01-2017 at 10:35 AM. Reason: ...
Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by King Snake
Inverted!
Navarre, FL
Joined Sep 2008
77 Posts

Are you using a UBEC? or the one on the ESC?
King Snake is offline Find More Posts by King Snake
Old 01-07-2009, 05:08 PM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

There was a UBEC sent, let me ask John if he used it.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Find More Posts by Sevans16
Sin City
Joined Jan 2007
516 Posts

I hae one and it is an awesome flier!! The best small electric I have had my hands on!!
Sevans16 is offline Find More Posts by Sevans16
Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by joel greer
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Mar 2008
28 Posts

lite it is, tuff it's not. i hit to hard on the left side and took off the left gear. a hard one to fix for me, i added wood to the outside for strength and doesn,t look too good anymore.
joel greer is offline Find More Posts by joel greer
Old 01-08-2009, 02:19 AM
Find More Posts by aryajet
HIGH AoA
H Town, TX
Joined Feb 2007
74 Posts

What batt?

What watt range will this factory set up produce?

Thanks

Edit - One more thing; does the U in UBEC stand for Universal?
aryajet is offline Find More Posts by aryajet
Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 AM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

My buddy John who is doing the review isn't computer savy, so I'm doing the best to answer the questions.

The battery:Requires:45A ESC, out-runner brushless motor, 14.8V 2100mAh LiPo battery (4 cell)

Looks like 900 - 1400 Watts.

I saw the recommended power setup spool up and MAN O MAN did it have some insane power.
It blew everything around that wasn't tied down in my buddies workshop. Also I was holding the plane for him,
and it almost ripped my arms off.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by King Snake
Inverted!
Navarre, FL
Joined Sep 2008
77 Posts

UBEC : Ultimate Battery Eliminator Circuit (External BEC)
King Snake is offline Find More Posts by King Snake
Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by joel greer
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Mar 2008
28 Posts

i have a 2814 torque motor that is about 500 watts so i started with the recomended 2100 mha 14.8 v. battery but the controler cuts out so i got a 2600 and a 4270 on the bench they run ok. i haven't had the time or weather to try it out. also i saw a batt. charger for $25 its called a chargery power any body know how well it works?
joel greer is offline Find More Posts by joel greer
Old 01-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
CAP?? What's that?
Avondale, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
626 Posts

Just a reminder.. for those who may like the CAP over the Edge, The Eagle 580 (CAP580) will be shipping at the end of this month. It looks every bit as good as the Edge with all the same build quality. Anothr very cool feature....its yellow with the Embry-Riddle trim... but if you dont want to use the ER stickers, you have a blank canvas to work with and make it 'your own' one of a kind trimmed plane.
I'm counting the days till mine shows up!
Matt Chapman is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chapman

Quick Reply