Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Technology > Radios
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #5986
GizmoMadMax
MadMax Engineer

Also, with the above, Do I need more than 2 JR connectors into the Rx for current load??

will only 2 JR connectors from say a wolverine switch to a Optic 7 or optic 9 Rx carry enough current???
Or do i need 3 or 4 JR connectors and an optic 9 to plug more power sources into the optic 9 like they do for other receivers like JR/Spectrum/etc... ?

Then SPC port, should i be safe and add yet another leg off the wolverine to the SPC port to keep the RX voltage safe???
(That is what i have done on the smart-fly the past 3 years, but now i hear i may not need that, urggg )

Hitec A9, UMX Extra300, H9, YardBirdRC, 3DFoamy, FoamTac, FancyFoam
80cc AeroWorks Extra 260 - Friends don't let friends fly 3DHS, 3DHS No More!
GizmoMadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #5987
skagitrat
Doo It! Doo It!

Gizmo,

I have the A9 as well and ran both a 7 channel and 9 channel rx in a 50cc airframe. 2 a123's through a wolverine switch with 2 JR outputs for power. On the 7 channel rx I just used 2 y connectors for the power connections and it worked fine. I later went to the 9 channel rx and did away with the y connections. 2 jr output leads should be plenty but I believe you can get the wolverine switch built with 3 jr outputs. I never used the spc port as it only powers the rx and not the servos. The smartfly ign kill is good but I have heard good things about the tech aero IBEC it eliminates the ignition battery so you just plug it directly into an open port in the rx. Hope this helps.

Carl
skagitrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #5988
A.T.
Super Contributor

Default Optima Series Receivers - Dual Receiver Warning

Nothing further to add to that available under
Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers_Receivers & Telemetry
- FAQ, Setups & Tips

except have you seen the Hitec Service Bulletins in particular:
Optima Series Receivers - Dual Receiver Warning
Due to the fact that the Optima series of receivers are actually transceivers, they are constantly communicating back and forth with the transmitter. In some dual receiver environments, Hitec has seen that the range of one or both of the receivers can be greatly affected. For this reason, it is strongly suggested that only a single receiver setup be used in any model, regardless of size. Hitec has tested our receivers with all the channels being used with high current draw digital type servos and dual batteries configurations utilizing 2 Y-harnesses. In this scenario the servo bus has been able to handle the current without any issues. If more than 9 servos are needed then it is suggested that a power distribution device be used, such as the kinds offered by Smart Fly or Power Box. For more information click HERE

Picture of the .pdf attached hereto, shows recommended transceiver(s), servo and power distribution.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	Optima Series Receivers  Dual Receiver Warning.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	551829 148.2 KB · Views: 35

A.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #5989
GizmoMadMax
MadMax Engineer

Thanks AT, once again so many great folks with great responses to spread the wealth, and also great attitudes, awesome

Last edited by GizmoMadMax; 04-10-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #5990
GizmoMadMax
MadMax Engineer

Thanks for the input on this thread and a few other threads.

After talking with Bob at Smart-fly, and me being a analytical & engineering type, and then having already invested in my smart fly a couple years ago, i was sold on Bob's view, regarding redundancy, why spend $4k on an aircraft, and risk having no redundancy, or at least give as much redundancy as possible,

Sooooooo, beings i already had a NiMH Smart-Fly (which can also run the A123 in a NiMH Smart-fly), why NOT go A123 and either fly with the smart fly, and if i decide to save the weight, heck, pull the smart-fly out later, so the A123 gives me two options :-)

Now on the iBEC to ignition, hmmm, as Bob said, why risk a $4k plane again on an IBEC, just use a NiMH as i have been doing the past 3 years...

Soooooo, until i feel better about minimal & slim gear and fly, i will minimize some risks for now and feel safer for the moment, then maybe down the road strip the smart-fly & go straight Batts to the Rx & IBEC and risk it all, but then again, nahhhhhhhh :-/

Old 04-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #5991
-Rick-
Flyin' Around

Kind of newb question, but how do you wire up a optima 7 to six servos and a optical kill?

Do you have to "y" the battery with one of the channel ports? And which one?

Thanks,

(I should add it's going in a 30cc pilot Extra 260)

Rick

Last edited by -Rick-; 04-11-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: adding info.
-Rick- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #5992
-Rick-
Flyin' Around

I think I just answered my own question by reading back in the thread. It should be okay to Y the battery to the 7th channel with a kill switch? Or to channel 1 with the first elevator channel?
-Rick- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #5993
skagitrat
Doo It! Doo It!

Rick,

I ran one Y into the rudder and one into the ignition, no problems.
skagitrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #5994
Rowdyjoe
Gettin' Lower!

It's really simple if you use an Optima 9.
(it's OK, I was born a smart aleck)

RJ
Rowdyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #5995
Rowdyjoe
Gettin' Lower!

I just bought an Aurora 9 along with a few servos. I found all of it new for great prices on ebay. Anyway, I've programmed one receiver in one airplane so far and it was pretty darned simple and I am impressed. This is a sure-nuff multi-function radio with more features than I will probably find use for. However, it's nice to know they're available just in case I find a use for it ...once I figure out what it's all about.
I set up a World Models Intruder 90 (for SPA) using an Optima 7 and a Saito FA-91. It's a great running system but, I had a bit of trouble figuring out the throttle direction. I tried, and tried, and tried to start that engine without success until I discovered the throttle servo was reversed. As it turns out the glow plug was too wet to fire. Once I reversed the throttle it fired right up like it usually does. The next issue was the throttle curve. I tried several different ways to get a linear reaction to the stick but, it would barely increase RPM until I reached 50% stick then it seemed to come on all at once. It was a very short curve. We (my HItec experienced buddy and I) also tried end point adjustments and noticed a small improvement but, not like it should be.
When I got home and put it on the work bench I discovered the throttle servo was intermittent and stalling out at very modest loads. Once I replaced the servo I was able to adjust it for a nice curve.
Overall, I'm very happy with the Aurora 9 and the receivers. The learning curve continues for me as I used to run Spektrum but, I sold it all to buy the Hitech gear. I needed more channels but, didn't want another Spektrum system. I'm looking forward to a long and happy relationship with this gear.
Oh, after reading the last couple of pages I discovered why the price for my A9 was so good. With the 9X coming soon I assume they're discounting the A9 (?). Anyway, I'm happy with my purchase. This transmitter has everything I need and then some.

One other thing I've discovered; if your a glow or gas guy the receivers end up 1 channel short of their advertised number. You must have one channel for power and that eliminates the use of one channel. I'm not real happy about that but, I can live with it.

RJ

Last edited by Rowdyjoe; 04-14-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #5996
2.4ghz
Uber Contributor

you won't be disappointed with your purchase RJ, for the money its the best out there.
2.4ghz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #5997
goofydew
Flyin' Around

Hey Rowdyjoe don't forget to update your radio and RX filmwear when new ones come out. Don't know when they do I just check the sit every now and then.
goofydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #5998
Rowdyjoe
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by goofydew
View Post
Hey Rowdyjoe don't forget to update your radio and RX filmwear when new ones come out. Don't know when they do I just check the sit every now and then.

Yep, I checked HItec's web site and the latest update is 1.09 and my transmitter shows that version in the system info section. I should be good to go.
Man, there's a lot of knobs and switches on this thing. I'm afraid I'm gonna hit the wrong switch by accident. Have I told about my difficulty walking and chewing gum at the same time?
Seriously, I REALLY like it. I can program stuff I've never heard of on it. It is great!

RJ
Old 04-15-2013, 02:33 AM   #5999
A.T.
Super Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by Rowdyjoe
View Post
<snip> One other thing I've discovered; if your a glow or gas guy the receivers end up 1 channel short of their advertised number.
You must have one channel for power and that eliminates the use of one channel. I'm not real happy about that but, I can live with it. RJ

"You must have one channel for power and that eliminates the use of one channel. I'm not real happy about that but, I can live with it

This is incorrect as it has been many years since any receiver had a dedicated battery only port.
This as few users used all channels and all servo ports share a common bus, refer the history of a top end series of Rx:
Hitec - Supreme Receivers - History, Manuals & FAQ - .pdf
An Optima 7 transceiver
is clearly printed showing battery is to be "Y" into channel 7 if 7 servo/ESC/Switch etc ports are required.
When using 2 or more Rx batteries,recommend channels 5<9 be used as these end channels are typically related to Flaps or similar lesser used purposes but which might also require more power than other receivers. Refer:
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Dual or Multiple Batteries may be installed - Avoid Brownout & Add Redundancy, even one for each servo.

Please check that not only is the Aurora 9 updated, but also the Spectra module (beside setting the LBW) and the transceivers, all updates are shown at top of:
. Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use
..(includes Screenshots & Current Firmware Versions for all related Units).

The printed instructions are not
all up todate with the latest firmware, please `refer to pictorial:
. Hitec AFHSS ID-Setup (Bind) Spectra ModuleV3.01(0), Optima Transceiver 6, 7 & 9ch V2.02(0) & Minima Receivers - quick reference.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers_Receivers & Telemetry FAQ
_ Setups & Tips

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Last edited by A.T.; 04-15-2013 at 03:42 AM.
A.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #6000
Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!

I wish Hitec would start putting 2 18ga battery only leads on a rx,for those of us flying gs and using lions,lipo's and A123's.You can't get full use of those batteries from a 3a connector.It would help eliminate the need for a power expander.
Siko_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote