Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

 

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Gas Engines
Forgot your password? Create a new account


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #16
antique
Older than dirt
 
antique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United States, AZ, Williams
Posts: 1,748
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

Does anyone "knurle" pistons anymore or that another lost art ?
antique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #17
rcign
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
rcign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Williams, Az USA
Age: 78
Posts: 2,439
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

Piston knurling was mostly done to expand the skirt on old worn pistons for a better fit in the bore...Haven't seen one in years...Some of the knurls would imprint the name of the knurl on the piston skirt....
__________________
It will either work or it won't
rcign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
jack strickland
IMACER
 
jack strickland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Marietta Oklahoma
Age: 81
Posts: 941
Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! 
Total Awards: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to jack strickland
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

Nice opinion about honing, the problem with it is the author disputed himself, so what are we to believe? I just reringed a 4 cylinder rice burner and put 3000 miles on the engine. It burned a quart of oil every 200-300- miles during this period. So I did a little digging and found out it is impossible to get all the rings cast iron, all manufactures of piston rings have one or more rings chrome plated. Finding this hard to believe, I called Hastings and spoke to an engineer who told me the rings I needed for my 2nd rering had the top compression and oil rings chrome plated and I would have to do an "agressive ball hone to get the rings to seat". The block in this engine is very hard, per the engineer. I ordered the ring set from Hastings and will do as they suggest and see what happens. I also ordered a silicon carbide ball hone. Now as far as our 2 cycle engines, it has been my experience that unhoned cylinders are very hard to start some are near impossible to start but they get better as the engine is run. A friend brought his 180 cc engine for me to check out. this engine had about 50 gallons of fuel run in it. We ran the engine, noted the rpm I then honed the cylinders with a crosshatch, ran the engine and after about 10 ounces of fuel thru it the rpm was checked and there was a 200 rpm increase. And the owner said " my god the compression was way more than before the hone job". So the bottom line is, of course, do what you want or believe when reringing. This opinion is based on building some 100 engines over the last 30 years.
__________________
Jack Strickland
AMA 33081
IMAC 5058

Airtronics
Team
34 Years
jack strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #19
RTK
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
RTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Left Coast
Age: 52
Posts: 4,386
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

Just a hone Jack, or did you replace the rings too??
I had a similar instance when I plated some aluminum in a cylinder. Took some muriatic acid and cleaned that out, then ran a brake hone through it, rpms came back to original without replacing the rings.
RTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #20
jack strickland
IMACER
 
jack strickland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Marietta Oklahoma
Age: 81
Posts: 941
Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! 
Total Awards: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to jack strickland
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

Quote: Originally Posted by RTK
View Post
Just a hone Jack, or did you replace the rings too??
I had a similar instance when I plated some aluminum in a cylinder. Took some muriatic acid and cleaned that out, then ran a brake hone through it, rpms came back to original without replacing the rings.
If you are asking about the 180cc engine, just honed and used original rings.
__________________
Jack Strickland
AMA 33081
IMAC 5058

Airtronics
Team
34 Years
jack strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #21
swheaton
Doo It! Doo It!
 
swheaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: antioch
Age: 43
Posts: 183
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

Quote: Originally Posted by ken crane
View Post
the nikasil liners are real hard and you risk chipping the edges of the transfer ports with a ball hone iif you are not careful.
excactly! do not hone a coated cyl. its not needed. just put the new parts in it will seat just fine!
__________________
Shane
A NEED 2 FLY!!!!
swheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #22
swheaton
Doo It! Doo It!
 
swheaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: antioch
Age: 43
Posts: 183
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

Quote: Originally Posted by ken crane
View Post
the nikasil liners are real hard and you risk chipping the edges of the transfer ports with a ball hone iif you are not careful.
excactly.do not hone a coated cyl its not needed!! it will chip! and then you got big problems....
__________________
Shane
A NEED 2 FLY!!!!
swheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #23
jack strickland
IMACER
 
jack strickland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Marietta Oklahoma
Age: 81
Posts: 941
Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! 
Total Awards: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to jack strickland
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

Quote: Originally Posted by swheaton
View Post
excactly.do not hone a coated cyl its not needed!! it will chip! and then you got big problems....
Why do you think it is not ok to hone coated cylinders? and what type of "coating" do you think is on the cylinders? Why does Sachs, Sthil, Homelite Husky, Echo, and all other manufactures HONE the cylinders on their industrial engines. I think people who have opinions on these forums should have a little knowledge of the subject thats being discussed. If you take the cylinder off your gas rc engine, you must hone a crosshatch in the cylindfer in order for the rings to seat, if you do not do this the rings will never seat.
__________________
Jack Strickland
AMA 33081
IMAC 5058

Airtronics
Team
34 Years
jack strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:00 AM   #24
ken crane
I WENT ALL IN AT JOE NALL 2013
 
ken crane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SUNNY CAPE COD MA.
Posts: 1,492
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

Quote: Originally Posted by jack strickland
View Post
Why do you think it is not ok to hone coated cylinders? and what type of "coating" do you think is on the cylinders? Why does Sachs, Sthil, Homelite Husky, Echo, and all other manufactures HONE the cylinders on their industrial engines. I think people who have opinions on these forums should have a little knowledge of the subject thats being discussed. If you take the cylinder off your gas rc engine, you must hone a crosshatch in the cylindfer in order for the rings to seat, if you do not do this the rings will never seat.
jack,this should maybe say "if your rc cylinder isnt nikisil or flash coated"as the origonial poster stated it was an evoloution that claims nikisil coating.
some of do know what we are discussing and are not looking to get into a pissing contest so dont take this the wrong way. in most cases any hone short of diamond, all you do is wear the hone as the coating is harder than the hone. most of the article we read a few pages back were related to a 4 cycle engine that used chrome wiper rings to seal oil from the crank case.the part where the author stated all you do is trap sanding compound in the cross hatches could be very true if you dont properly clean after yopu service but that is why after you do hone a cylinder you must always wash it in dawn or a like soap and hot water. i raced ktm enduro motorcycles from 1990- 2005 . theese are the years when the most advanced technology went into racing development in two cycle engines. all cylinders at that time were powervalved reed induction large bore motors. they put up with more torture than any 10 of our engines will ever see in their lifetime.we ingested mud raw water sand and anything else that would get into the air box. 99 out of 100 % of the time the cylinder looked good and the piston skirt was trash. a little soap and water, maybe a scotch brite to clean the carbon that built up where the rings stuck or was worn. a new piston and a couple of cast iron rings and it was as good or better than new. now drop a ball hone into the same cylinder and you can almost be gaurenteed that you will have leaks near the transfer ports ,exhaust bridge or cylinder taper where the balls catch an edge.i also have 16 holes in the 2 v8 300 hp outboards that are hanging off my race boat. those motors work in more he same type of enviorment we fly in with clean air and no air filter. pistin rings wear, leak by.just a re ring clean the block with soap and water re assemble its as good or better than new. all proven by leakdown testing.
what it looks like is the poster that asked us our opinions will need to decide what he feels is the best action and maybe google the subject and get 300 different answers from every expert from snomobile -motorcycle- industrial- boat-and hobby world ! sorry for my rant but i had to.
__________________

http://www.planebenderproducts.com/
unless it says pro-flow its not worthy of your hard earned money!

Last edited by ken crane; 03-07-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: i forgot to spell check sorry
ken crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #25
octanehuffer
Uber Contributor
 
octanehuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lakeland, Minnesota
Age: 34
Posts: 904
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

Well gentlemen, I am glad I brought this up. I was hoping for some good points and discussion and was also reminded in the first couple of posts that the cylinder may be Nikasil coated. Honing will never help it. I would have tried to hone it as I always do with any other internal combustion engine and would have hurt it before helped. I just slapped a new ring on the piston last night and cleaned up the jug. Added some oil and bolted it on. To be certain that the cylinder is indeed Nikasil coated, I will PM Pe. My 450cc race quad has a Nikasil coated cylinder, and when the time comes for a rebuild, a larger bore kit and new cylinder is most likely going to be cheaper than cutting the coating and re applying. It is not cheap. I have investegated the scenario for the quad.
__________________
This space for rent
octanehuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #26
rcign
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
rcign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Williams, Az USA
Age: 78
Posts: 2,439
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

Chainsaw cylinders ARE honed after plating..Chrome plating builds up on sharp edges, you can see this where the sharp edges around the ports a slightly rounded, just enough to take the sharp edges off.....A diamond or Borazon hone is used to SMOOTH theremaining high spots...Without the finish honing the cast iron rings would be worn in short order...If it were possible to plate a cylinder smooth enough there would be no honing necessary...Take a new, never run 2 cycle engine apart and look closely at the bore...It's mirror smooth...The visible marks are below the smooth surface....If you can feel marks with your fingernail it's because the high spots have been smoothed off....With a hone...To keep the rings from being destroyed.....Look at the steel cylinder liner in a new glow engine..Perfectly smooth, no crosshatch....
__________________
It will either work or it won't
rcign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #27
jack strickland
IMACER
 
jack strickland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Marietta Oklahoma
Age: 81
Posts: 941
Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! 
Total Awards: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to jack strickland
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

Quote: Originally Posted by ken crane
View Post
jack,this should maybe say "if your rc cylinder isnt nikisil or flash coated"as the origonial poster stated it was an evoloution that claims nikisil coating.
some of do know what we are discussing and are not looking to get into a pissing contest so dont take this the wrong way. in most cases any hone short of diamond, all you do is wear the hone as the coating is harder than the hone. most of the article we read a few pages back were related to a 4 cycle engine that used chrome wiper rings to seal oil from the crank case.the part where the author stated all you do is trap sanding compound in the cross hatches could be very true if you dont properly clean after yopu service but that is why after you do hone a cylinder you must always wash it in dawn or a like soap and hot water. i raced ktm enduro motorcycles from 1990- 2005 . theese are the years when the most advanced technology went into racing development in two cycle engines. all cylinders at that time were powervalved reed induction large bore motors. they put up with more torture than any 10 of our engines will ever see in their lifetime.we ingested mud raw water sand and anything else that would get into the air box. 99 out of 100 % of the time the cylinder looked good and the piston skirt was trash. a little soap and water, maybe a scotch brite to clean the carbon that built up where the rings stuck or was worn. a new piston and a couple of cast iron rings and it was as good or better than new. now drop a ball hone into the same cylinder and you can almost be gaurenteed that you will have leaks near the transfer ports ,exhaust bridge or cylinder taper where the balls catch an edge.i also have 16 holes in the 2 v8 300 hp outboards that are hanging off my race boat. those motors work in more he same type of enviorment we fly in with clean air and no air filter. pistin rings wear, leak by.just a re ring clean the block with soap and water re assemble its as good or better than new. all proven by leakdown testing.
what it looks like is the poster that asked us our opinions will need to decide what he feels is the best action and maybe google the subject and get 300 different answers from every expert from snomobile -motorcycle- industrial- boat-and hobby world ! sorry for my rant but i had to.
No problem on ranting, I do it also. the way I see this subject is-- we tend to get off topic a little and compare every type of engine to make the point. Example Ralph says "look in the bore of a glow engine" this has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. Bottom line If you want your rings to seat, then you must crosshatch the cylinder. If you don't want to do this, then live with the results. I need an answer to this question. Why do EVO and Kroma crosshatch their new engines, and did not crosshatch their engines when starting up? Don't believe me, Just ask Kiwi about this. Kiwi please chime in here.
__________________
Jack Strickland
AMA 33081
IMAC 5058

Airtronics
Team
34 Years
jack strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #28
jack strickland
IMACER
 
jack strickland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Marietta Oklahoma
Age: 81
Posts: 941
Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! 
Total Awards: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to jack strickland
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

Quote: Originally Posted by rcign
View Post
Chainsaw cylinders ARE honed after plating..Chrome plating builds up on sharp edges, you can see this where the sharp edges around the ports a slightly rounded, just enough to take the sharp edges off.....A diamond or Borazon hone is used to SMOOTH theremaining high spots...Without the finish honing the cast iron rings would be worn in short order...If it were possible to plate a cylinder smooth enough there would be no honing necessary...Take a new, never run 2 cycle engine apart and look closely at the bore...It's mirror smooth...The visible marks are below the smooth surface....If you can feel marks with your fingernail it's because the high spots have been smoothed off....With a hone...To keep the rings from being destroyed.....Look at the steel cylinder liner in a new glow engine..Perfectly smooth, no crosshatch....
Your statement about "take a 2 cycle engine apart" etc is not what I have observed on Sachs cylinders, they were crosshatched form/by Sachs.
__________________
Jack Strickland
AMA 33081
IMAC 5058

Airtronics
Team
34 Years
jack strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #29
rcign
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
rcign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Williams, Az USA
Age: 78
Posts: 2,439
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

A bore is a bore is a bore.Some glow engines have rings just like gassers.It's EXACTLY the same..The finish is what's important...a rough finish will wear out the rings in short order since any plating, chrome or Nikasil is harder than the rings.....A chosshatch finish that is not completley smooth will wear the rings...a crosshatch finish that IS smooth retains lube in the low sections...
__________________
It will either work or it won't
rcign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #30
Tired Old Man
on a vacation
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California
Posts: 4,321
Default Re: Cylinder Hone for overhaul

My Lycoming was not honed when it was rebuilt....

Until recently I was rebuilding one to three engines a day for instant reuse in the field. Honing was not performed in any of them. All of them were "famous maker" engines that were flame flame plated. In every rebuild the engines equalled or exceeded the original performance of the engine and flew for hundreds of hours post rebuild. The most that was done to any of the cylinders was removal of any carbon blow by using a brass rotary brush and kerosene. Over the course of the last year hundeds of engines have been handled this way, with thousands of hours of post rebuild running time that prove the validity of the process.

I know that RCIGN is absolutely correct about how the cylinders are plated. Plating is done after the cylinders were cross honed, not before. The better engines have a second honing process peformed after the plating, as Ralph noted, to take off the high spots and edges. Many Chinese engines do not have the second clean up hone performed and ring wear is extremely fast, and very uneven, along with LOTS of piston skirt and lower cylinder wear. Sometimes their cylinders are actually concentric.

Last edited by Tired Old Man; 03-07-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Tired Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about 5 cylinder Radials wowie General Discussion 3 03-28-2008 09:04 AM
Rebuilding GSM026's BME-115 KrisW Manufacturer's Announcements 286 03-01-2008 07:49 PM
DA100-Left Cylinder Cold Right Cylinder Hot 3D-Seth Gas Engines 169 12-14-2007 05:53 AM
2 Cylinder vs 4 Cylinder HighRoller Gas Engines 2 05-22-2006 09:17 PM
Da 100 3DRC Gas Engines 23 03-13-2006 07:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

All Flyinggiants.com content copyright 2006-2014 by RCGroups.com, LLC except where otherwise indicated. The Flyinggiants.com logo is a trademark of RCGroups.com, LLC.
Please report any misuse of our trademarks or copyright violations using the contact form.
RCGroups Network :: RCGroups :: The E Zone :: Lift Zone :: RC Power :: Crackroll :: RC Cars

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.