logo
This thread is privately moderated by flying skunks, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,622 Posts
Youth Masters at Triple Tree

OK Men and Women , it is that time of year again for the Youth Masters at Triple Tree to come upon us . The dates for this year is July 18th and 19th (Sat. and Sun. ) . As in years past we will be having a classroom setting on Saturday AM , followed by introduction to the planes that you will be flying this year , there will be Basic and Advanced as in years past . As usual we will be having a ton of fun , and remember that there is no charge for the pilots that come to the event , planes WILL be supplied for the competition . We may have a Sat. nite foamy throw down if there is enough interest .We hope to see a lot of our youth at the event ..For those that have not herd of this event it is for Youth 16 years old and younger ...Come on out and have a Ton of Fun ..

flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
re: Youth Masters at Triple Tree

More info coming soon!
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Last edited by Sukhoikid; 05-18-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by askforplanes
3D Giants
Virginia
Joined Dec 2007
1,069 Posts

Can't wait!

JP
askforplanes is offline Find More Posts by askforplanes
Old 05-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Find More Posts by Outlaw Pops
United States, FL, Palm Bay
Joined Mar 2008
1,331 Posts

DONNIE WHERE IS THE YOUTH MASTERS TO BE HELD.....DAYTONA...JOE NALL.......POPS
Outlaw Pops is offline Find More Posts by Outlaw Pops
Old 05-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Find More Posts by Downhumpty
Back to the Basics!
Willow Spring, NC. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Pops View Post

The Youth Masters will be held at Triple Tree Aerodrome in Woodruff, South Carolina.

Thank you for asking,

Please stay tuned! Details to follow!

Kent Porter
Downhumpty is offline Find More Posts by Downhumpty
Last edited by Downhumpty; 05-19-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,508 Posts

I think it would be great to hear from some of the past Youth Masters participants and see what they are doing now. I know one youngster that attended two years ago (Neil Westdorp) who is now flying "Unlimited" IMAC. His Freestyle routine is second to none.
I'm sure there are others. They could be a great inspiration to this years group.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 05-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
Re: Youth Masters at Triple Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye Steve View Post
I think it would be great to hear from some of the past Youth Masters participants and see what they are doing now. I know one youngster that attended two years ago (Neil Westdorp) who is now flying "Unlimited" IMAC. His Freestyle routine is second to none.
I'm sure there are others. They could be a great inspiration to this years group.
My name is Kevin Garland and I participated in the 2005 and 2006 Youth Masters. This event is the best for the Youth. I know it led me in the right direction in the hobby. I graduated high school this time last year and just now I finished my first year of college at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Currently I am studying to become a Professional Pilot and ATC. I will also be studying at the University about UAVs and hopefully fly them one day on the side.
As far as the hobby goes ever since I attended (not competed) in the Youth Masters I was hooked on IMAC. I personally find the Youth Masters as a regular event and not a competition. I wish other young adults out there would think the same way. The plaque I won in 2006 in the advanced class for 3rd place means nothing today. But the memories will last forever!!!
I have competed in several IMAC events over the past few years. Currently I am in the Intermediate class. My schedule over the years have been very busy and not able to make many contest with school, soccer, and full scale flying.
The passed year I at the age of 19 I have been a Contest Director for three IMAC contest and one regular AMA event. I hope to inspire other youth that they can also direct and be a coordinator of a event. You only have to be 18.
Just this last year I was a invitational pilot for the 2008 Futaba XFC event and a potential invitational pilot for this years XFC event. I also have helped out at the passed two Youth Masters and expect to be there this year to again help out. Without our Youth there is no future for this hobby of ours!

Please on a final note study study and study!!! School comes first guys!!! If anyone has any questions please ask and I or someone else would be glad to help you!!!

I believe a good example of a past Youth Masters competitor is Seth Arnold. He has come a long way these past few years and I am very happy for him. He is currently with the Top dogs now and I believe the Youth Masters event help him out a lot also!!! Seth come in and tell your story!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 03:08 PM
FFAA for Life
Joined May 2006
19,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Pops View Post

July 18-19th will be at TT , we will also be holding one in Florida in October ...
Old 05-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by Brian L
ItZ mAd GaMe
Somewhere between here and there
Joined May 2006
197 Posts

Donnie, count me in for a helping hand for sure this year!
Brian L is offline Find More Posts by Brian L
Old 05-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by iflyimac
Straight Huckin'
New Albany, OH, USA
Joined May 2006
28 Posts

Well, I suppose I'll give a testimonial like Kevin did! (hopefully it will come close to measuring up to the high standard he set)

My name is Matt Laine. I attended the Youth Masters at the age of eleven in 2004. This competition served as a good inspiration for the five years that were to come, and will be an inspiration for the rest of my life: I gained confidence in my flying ability by the 1st place in Advanced - but that has no bearing on real life so let's stick to the real stuff. I distinctly remember Bob Sadler speaking about being a gentleman and a student first, and a pilot second. Bob Sadler's words keep coming back to me as other responsibilities creep in. At the time, I was a soft-spoken and underconfident first year student at Ohio Dominican University who was forced to take responsibility for my education and hobbies. The victory helped me realize "I really can do anything I put my mind to." But the conversations helped me realize that I had to apply myself, and to find a purpose. Well, I quickly found a purpose and have been going at it as if with a battering ram. God has helped me so much, and I graduated with a double major in Chem and Bio last December. He has laid it on my heart to do two things:

1. To fly to remote areas of the world to provide medical care.
2. To have a nonprofit foundation to help churches fund projects to spread the Gospel in every way, shape and form.

Flying doesn't really fit in there anywhere (except for the transportation in the remote areas of the world), but it is around when I need it to keep me sane, and to provide a brief respite from everything else.

In conclusion, I have learned one thing that eclipses all others from the example set for me at the Youth Masters, and from Paul. These guys at the YM help young people embody it!

1 Timothy 4:12

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Basically, you need to make your life worth looking at, and then make sure what people see leads them to God.

Peace,

Matt Laine
iflyimac is offline Find More Posts by iflyimac
Last edited by iflyimac; 05-21-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Find More Posts by SpecializedRC
Dont touch my taco!!!
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Apr 2008
133 Posts

Hello Everyone,
Speaking from experience the Youth Masters is a great experience for anyone who attends, competitor or parent. I competed in my first one is 2006 at the age of 16. It sparked my intrest in IMAC and the skills i aquired while there made my flying grow tramatically in the next year. The next year i went down just to help out and for the first time actually felt old at the age of 17. It was great to see it from the other side of the table, to see how all the kids grew both in their flying and as a person in general. I wish I could make it this year however i am currently stationed in Florida with the Air Force and wont be able to make it to the one at TT, but hopefully I will make it to the one in Florida in October. I leave the potential competitors with this note. Be nervous, it makes you sharper, be scared, it makes you aware, be a competitor, it makes you a pilot. Dont be shy, come to YM make friends that will last forever, and learn something you will never forget.
Jon Soda
SpecializedRC is offline Find More Posts by SpecializedRC
Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

Thank you Matt and Jon for coming in. Both of you are great examples!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 06:13 PM
FFAA for Life
Joined May 2006
19,622 Posts

Jon , we would Love to have you at the YM here in FL.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying skunks View Post
Jon , we would Love to have you at the YM here in FL.

Ill make sure he shows up. ha ha
Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Find More Posts by Scott_SC
Greenville SC
Joined Jun 2006
213 Posts

The Patterns are now posted at the Joe Nall Website. www.joenall.com
Scott_SC is offline Find More Posts by Scott_SC