Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Gas Engines
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 10-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
Efishensea
F - IT !!!!

Default 3mm TOC-53 Good, Bad or Ugly ??

I just got a knock around 50cc Yak that I would like to try one of these Engines on. I am going to try and push the envelope a little bit with this one. Chances of crashing are good! But, if the 3mm TOC-53 is not a strong & reliable Engine I donít want the frustration and will just pick up a new DA and just spend the extra bucks. What say you?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
jtsails
Super Contributor

Default Re: 3mm TOC-53 Good, Bad or Ugly ??

I had one and really liked it! Used a 23x8 prop and it was strong and very smooth. I would suggest getting it from Tom at Wildhare and go ahead and get the hop-up kit. The kit includes a better reed valve and is definitely worthwhile.
JT

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
Winston Churchill
jtsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Efishensea
F - IT !!!!

Thanks for your report! Anyone have a bad experience with one?
Old 10-03-2009, 03:44 AM   #4
grossy2
Gettin' Lower!

I've been using one of these engines in my Pitts 12 for about 2 years now. They are lovely and smooth and after first start of the day, they start first flick no choke. With the side mounted carb you mite wont to put a velocity stack on it for you get a bit of fuel streaking.

Cheers Grossy
grossy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
eagle flyer
Super Contributor

well for every good one there is a bad one. I have one of these things sitting in my closet because i got tired of sending it back to cermark. I had it tuned in perfect by the experts at the field and cermark and after youu start it up and it sounds great untill you take off.. After take off about 20ft up it starts to spudder, then when you go vertical it spudders again, when you fly straight it spudders sometimes too. There is a another guy at the field with one and he has more dead sticks then any one else at the field(at least 1 every 4 flights).. I now have a DL50 and DL55 and have nothing but fun flying. Got the guys at the field to tune it and have never touched the needles again..So like i said for every good one there is a LEMON. Also DONT EVER SEND YOUR 3MM TOC TO CERMARK..it will never get fixed right...
Old 10-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
floridaflyer
Flyin' Around

One thing that most 3MM motors need is to turn the carb 180 degrees from original position. Once you do that it runs perfect. Ran mine for two years with no problems.
I agree, do not send anything to Cermark. Now that DawghouseRC no longer exists, I would send to WildhareRC. He knows these engines pretty well.
floridaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
seawolf
Burning Fossil Fuel

I have two 3MM TOC 53 engines.One on a Wildhare Edge 540 and the other on a 84 inch Giant Stinger arf from Tower no longer availible.Both of mine run very reliable-smooth-powerful.Never had any issues with either engine.Both have over three seasons of heavy use now.
seawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
Fritter
Super Contributor

Floridaflyer is dead on, this motor will not run in a round cowl unless the carb is turned 180 degree's (happened to me).

I've got one of the 3mm TOC 53 in Tom's Wildhare 87 Sukhoi, and am starting to like it (has the optional hop up kit). Tom stands behind his products and will do whatever is within reason to help out!

I don't think you would be dissapointed.
Fritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
cap10b
Gotta Fly !

All,
I was flying with Tom and he was calling some IMAC stuff for me and I kept saying , there is something wrong with this motor. (3MM TOC 53) 23x8 bunny at 6550 static. I was flying a Composite Extra 330L and we were working IMAC basic. Tom said I dont hear anything your just so used to the motor that you dont realize that your trying to compare it to a DA100.

Oh ! never mind

jds
Old 10-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by Fritter
View Post
Floridaflyer is dead on, this motor will not run in a round cowl unless the carb is turned 180 degree's (happened to me).

I've got one of the 3mm TOC 53 in Tom's Wildhare 87 Sukhoi, and am starting to like it (has the optional hop up kit). Tom stands behind his products and will do whatever is within reason to help out!

I don't think you would be dissapointed.
I've had one in a Yak 55 (round cowl) for 2 seasons now (well over 300 flights), runs fine without turning carb 180. I did install the hop-up kit, also without rotating the carb, runs perfect.
I had the bottom-end bearing go bad in mine at about 250 flights. Out of warranty, fixed it myself.
Also, Tom at WH said he's not selling this engine anymore.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91...tm.htm#9151334
804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
Al Lewis
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Got one on the bench I pulled out of my WH Edge 540T. Has the hop up kit installed and a Frank Bowman ring and spins a Vess 23A at 7000 rpm. Never had a problem with it. Very smooth and reliable. Here's the video I shot. Watch the top of the cowl when the engines runs up. LOL

http://www.flyinggiants.com/gallery/...1&ppuser=22265

Oh, buy one from Tom at Wild Hare if you want one. He's a good guy with great service.

http://www.southeastrcengines.com
http://www.vessaero.com

Remember every second of every day there are thousands of men and women giving of their lives to keep you safe. Never forget them for they never forget you!!

Last edited by Al Lewis; 10-10-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Al Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
Fritter
Super Contributor

I wonder why Tom has quit selling them? I went and looked on his website and noticed he does still have 3mm on his price sheet but has pulled 3mm off his engine sheet. Bummer...... something else to worry about now!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
jamesrxx951

if the toc53 will only spin a vess 23a with a hopup kit at 7000 get the dle will up it by 400 break in with stock muffler and after breakin with full canister exhaust. just get if from a reputable usa dealer. and i think tom at wildhare rc is. but valleyview does.
Team JR NCFR IMAC
http://tntlandinggear.com/ http://www.rcaircraftcomponents.com/
jamesrxx951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:27 PM   #14
Truckracer

Quote: Originally Posted by Fritter
View Post
I wonder why Tom has quit selling them? I went and looked on his website and noticed he does still have 3mm on his price sheet but has pulled 3mm off his engine sheet. Bummer...... something else to worry about now!
I asked that question on another forum and received the following response from Tom at Wild Hare. I hope it is acceptable to quote him here.

"The 106 was not a bad engine but was down on power compared to the DLE-111 and DA-100, so they went back to the drawing boards. They are supposed to have a new one about now, but they say that production problems have delayed it.

The 53 also ran into the production problems, I stopped selling them because they could not produce an engine with consistent power. One engine would be great and the next one was off by several hundred RPM, and they were unable to explain why. I don't know exactly what they are doing now, they seem to have lost their way.

They were good engines and if they solve the riddle of how to make the same engine over and over I may take them back.

Tom Fawcett
Wild Hare Hobbies, Inc. "

I hope 3MM gets back on track as I like my 53 very much. No, it isn't the most powerful 50 class engine out there but performance isn't everything in an engine. Few engines run smoother than the 3mm and thats worth something in my book.
Truckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
Fritter
Super Contributor

Thanks Truckracer..... that explains it.
When I bought my plane, I thought 3mm was equal with DLE, maybe today they aren't. But what I do know is, mine is running, it's smooth, sounds great, and pulls my Sukhoi around quite nice. I'll stick with it till I need another and go with what Tom recomends. The only issue I've had with mine was self induced, I initially had the plane running on dual A123 6.6volt batteries, non regulated. I had the second A123 battery split between a backup for the servo's and the ignition. 6.6 volt was too much for the ignition, had multiple dead sticks. But after putting in a Nihm 4.8 volt for the ignition no issues at all.