logo
Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
New Jet Model Speed Record Set 1/17/2010!

Report by:
Dave Shulman

For the record....

Well....here it is...the "truth and facts" on our attempt at the Jet Model Speed Record; however, it is no longer an attempt. We (as a team) have made it official!

On Sunday, January 17, 2010 I did some of the most intense, adrenaline pumping R/C flying that I have ever done in my life to date. The end result was priceless!

First, I'd like to thank all involved, especially my great friend, Mr. Axel Hache from Santo Domingo, D.R. With his support and the help of many other people, we accomplished our goal! It is not longer a rumor..... a new Guinness World Record has been set! "For the fastest radio controlled, conventionally configured, turbine model aircraft in the world! After many flights, the end results came to an average speed of 337 mph (up & downwind). The maximum speed achieved was 345.23 mph (downwind)".

I wanted to share this with everyone since there have been rumors of an attempt on the model jet speed record. Some wanted to stop it, but most wanted it to happen, and it did, so thank you for the support!

The background...
This project started in early 2009 when Axel & I were brainstorming. It didn't take long for us to agree on this challenge as we both like to push ourselves to see what we can accomplish.

Of course our first agenda was to contact the AMA & JPO ..... well in advance of any possible flights, testing, or attempts that were to be made on the existing speed record. Both organizations were positive and supportive as we worked together to formulate a safe way to do this. Safety was key... for all involved.

We started the push for a new record class to be made with the FAI and AMA since almost every other aspect of modeling has records. A controlled environment was necessary without question with a minimum number of personnel allowed on the site. This has proven to be a lengthy process, however, well worth every minute! Our deadline was set for January 2010 and Axel & I were determined to make it happen. Unfortunately, it became evident to us that, due to the deadline this final attempt for the record could not be done in the US. It was done in the next best place, my second home, The Dominican Republic; along side some of my greatest friends in the world!

Airframe:
It was now time to contact Tom Cook of Jet Model Products. The Firebird is easily the cleanest, fastest model (that is considered a model - i.e. landing gear, rudder, etc) and after a few minutes, Tom was excited and wanted to work with us through the whole process.

Turbine:
Next up was AMT Netherlands. An Olympus HP was in order, so a call to Bennie about the project peaked his interest as well and he was looking forward to seeing us be successful. The motor was tested thoroughly by Bennie and sent over, and for those wondering, no, a Titan will not fit.

Electronics:
Futaba's new 9157 servos (425 oz/in, 30.6 kg) were only a few months old at the time we began the project, so after discussing it with Frank Noll, we agreed that they would hold up to the speeds we were hoping to attain (in fact they were perfect!) Together with the Futaba metal servo arms and the JMP stock linkage setup as per the manual, no flutter or slop were present at any time during any flight. The 2.4ghz Faast system has been bulletproof for me since day one and really allowed me the extreme distance necessary to make the runs I envisioned.

Power system:
Battery power came from Duralite's Lithium Manganese packs which kept our servos ready with power for the stresses of 300+mph flight. The Lithium Manganese packs have a great "C" rating which under the heavy flight loads, high servo drain, delivered without hesitation. We understood that a good, reliable, redundant system was necessary - space was tight, so Emmerich from Powerbox said the Evolution would be just right. We met up again at Jet Power and he was very excited and wanted to know how the project was coming along.

Building:
Well, anyone that knows Axel or I realizes that we did not build this model, and with good reason, so we let the experts handle this build. A local (Orlando) team of skilled craftsman constructed the Firebird and had constant communication with Tom throughout the process. I would stop by weekly to see how it was progressing and made sure the fits were all extremely tight. A few minor adjustments were made to my liking mainly from input I gathered from other Firebird owners/fliers. Time started to come to a crunch and the paint work suffered multiple delays, as with any project on a deadline. Finally the paint process started during the worst possible time - our coldest week in 20 years here in Florida. The paint booth was at a balmy 15°F which did not help the clear coat. Thank goodness for sandpaper and a buffer!

Safety:
After flying turbines for over 14 years (starting with the old JPX propane T-240), I personally have witnessed structural failures, equipment failures, and pilot error which have resulted in the total loss of airframes. Anyone who denies this danger is simply fooling themselves. Axel and I were both well aware that we were going into uncharted territory... however, we took every safety precaution that we felt necessary. I have heard of a few other attempts of 250+ speeds, however, our goal was faster than 290-305mph. As with any R/C model, there is always a chance that something can fail or go askew. Safety, was absolutely our first concern.

With all of this on our minds, Axel and I decided it was best to close the flying site during our attempt in the DR for the safety of ourselves and others. I personally stacked up all 6 pilot barriers (chain link fence with 1" tubing) in an octagon. The layers were 4 deep on the front 3 sides, offering at least some protection if necessary.

The Flights:
I can say with confidence now that this type of flying is not for most... or should not even be attempted by most. It was truly intense. A smooth flier is necessary when you are hitting these types of speeds with any model aircraft. The slightest yank and the model would easily be re-kitted. The flights lasted roughly 4 minutes and when coming around to land, the adrenaline was pumping so much that a simple landing seemed almost challenging. Axel managed a few passes as well via the buddy box towards the end of each flight. It was no doubt exciting and thrilling, basically "living on the edge" is the best way to describe it.

A formal certificate presentation will happen on Tuesday, January 26th, in the Dominican Republic, with myself, Axel, the Guinness World Record Representative, along side our close friends at the CFI (Caribbean Fly-In) press conference. I will be posting the official certificate once it is in hand.. Thanks again for all the continued support, looking forward to another fantastic show in the DR, put on by the entire CFI Staff, a great show with great friends.

Special thanks to -
Axel Hache
Pedro Hache
Gamal Hache
Andreas Bothe
Carlos Sanlley
Fabio Alonzo
Don Shulman
Franco Dal Bon
Jamey Larosa
Gene Largado
Anthony Rhodes
John Rispoli
Tom Cook
Bennie Van de Goor
Frank Noll
Jack Price
Emmerich Deutsch
AMA & JPO
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-25-2010, 09:07 AM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Re: New Jet Model Speed Record Set 1/17/2010!

Pics:
Old 01-25-2010, 09:08 AM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

Thanks for the report Dave! That is AWESOME! We here at FG love when people push the envelope!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
4,862 Posts

Great report and congrats to all involved! And the video will be posted when?? (Don't blink or you'll probably miss it! LOL!) Heck, my adrenaline was pumped up just reading about this!
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by skaluf
Champaign, IL
Joined Apr 2006
659 Posts

David,
Congratulations to you, Mr. Hache and everyone else on the team. This was one heck of an accomplishment!

Steve Kaluf
Hobbico
skaluf is offline Find More Posts by skaluf
Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by arnobergmann
It is what it is
Cape Town, South-Africa
Joined Nov 2007
545 Posts

Congrats guys Welldone on the record
arnobergmann is offline Find More Posts by arnobergmann
Old 01-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by Chris Puckett
Rantoul IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,179 Posts

Congrats Dave and knowing you it was done at 2' off the ground
Chris Puckett is offline Find More Posts by Chris Puckett
Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by hannustar
Carpe Diem
Malta, St Julian's
Joined Jun 2008
2,386 Posts

Well done Dave and all involved in the project.Thats a great report and a really impressive speed!!
hannustar is offline Find More Posts by hannustar
Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by Sly3D
Woodland Hills CA
Joined Apr 2009
985 Posts

Great report! That sure is realy fast. Btw isn't that Billy Edwards old JMP Firebird?
Sly3D is offline Find More Posts by Sly3D
Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by Craven
United States, KY, Fort Mitchell
Joined Feb 2006
10,849 Posts

Awesome Dave and everyone else involved!
Craven is offline Find More Posts by Craven
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by Wesse
Die Hard Futaba Man
Skogsrundan ,57733 Hultsfred , Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,432 Posts

Ohh this is hard manīs stuff...yehhhh

Congrats guys Welldone on the record

Now I feel me old and slow..lol
Wesse is offline Find More Posts by Wesse
Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,715 Posts

I have had the chance to watch David fly a Firebird. It is one of the greatest RC experiences I have ever had.
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 AM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

I remember watching David Shulman do a slow roll with a jet at Joe Nall a few years back, he did the roll from one side of the main flight line to the other side at 2 feet off the deck. Watching that is something I will never, ever forget. And when I say SLOW roll I mean, 1 single ROLL starting from what is now the 3D line, all the way to where the runway ends up by the front of the property. Following the contour of the grass at 2'. Simply SICK!

Of all the cool 3D stuff i have seen, and all the insane flying, I think that was the most impressive thing I have ever witnessed!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by BR289
Pro Pit Biotch
United States, PA, Whitehall
Joined Jan 2006
4,073 Posts

Yes, that was definitely cool!
BR289 is offline Find More Posts by BR289
Old 01-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by danielph
Fly Extreme!
High Prairie, Washington
Joined Jul 2007
4,363 Posts

That's just FAST!
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph

Quick Reply