Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > R/C Topics > Electric Power > Foamies
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 02-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
HeliFisher
Flyin' Around

Default New Foamy Guy Questions on Motors???

So I've been flying helis for a couple years now and just got a couple foamys from a buddy of mine. My Question is, I have a Hacker A20-6XL 2300kV motor I was running in my Blade400, and I want to use it in one of the foamys. One is a profile Yak my buddy cut out from downloaded plans off the internet, and weighs in @ 9ozs. before any electronics. The other is a Airfoilz Yak, and I'm not sure on the weight, but at least twice that of the profile Yak. Both are about a 36-38 in. wingspan. I will be running a Spectrum AR6100e Rx and Hitec HS65HBs all the way around. I have a 35 amp ESC that I would like to use, but I'm not sure if that is the proper set up or not.

I plan on flying basic aerobatics and 3D with these planes, so some extra power is allways nice!! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for looking!

HeliFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
2walla
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Default Re: New Foamy Guy Questions on Motors???

the wind on the 6xl at 2300kv is a bit on the high side for a prop. Yuu would need to run a 6 in prop or so. Save yourself some grief and get a hacker 20-20L. it is about a 1000kv motor and will work good with a 10x4.7 apc prop on a 1300mah 3cell. A 20 amp speed control is all you need. For a 36-38in wingspan foamie you should be in the 12-14 oz range all up. If you add landing gear you should be at about 1lb. As far as which you want to fly, the airfoilz planes fly like a built up regular plane. Not really like a foamie. It all depends on what you want. If you are into building youself, blow up that yak to about 47in and run the same setup as the smaller foamies. Keep the weight down around 20 oz all up and it will float like a feather. If you like to hover a lot, consider getting the small a30 hacker, it is the smallest one. It has nearly the same specs as the smaller 2020l hacker but will run all day without getting hot. I have one on a 48in proud bird with landing gear. 22 oz with a 2200 3 cell. It will fly circles around most 38" wingspan foamies..
2walla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
HeliFisher
Flyin' Around

Yeah, I have my eye set on a 48in. DW Extra or Juka, but I'm planning on crashing alot in the beginning, so I figure I'll tear up these planes first. I'm planning a trip to the LHS tomorrow, so maybe I'll see if they have something that will work well for me. I want to fly the profile foamy first, so I need a smaller battery and some Dubro linkages, maybe a new ESC and some other odds and ends and I'll be golden.

Would I be able to use that motor in something like a PA Extra MX (@62ozs.) with a 58" wingspan or the PA Extra 260 (@34ozs.) w/ a 48" wingspan?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Xpress..
Too many hobbies...

Send a message via AIM to Xpress.. Send a message via MSN to Xpress.. Send a message via Yahoo to Xpress..

For that small yak, you won't want to run anything bigger than HS55 equivalents, a 140 watt 1000kv outrunner on a 9x4.7SF and a 3s 700mah lipo

EF 88" Yak 54
2014 PAU Wenatchee Huckfest picture thread!
Xpress.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 AM   #5
HeliFisher
Flyin' Around

Thanks for the advice! I just got a Rimfire 400 950kV and a couple HS55s for ailerons. I already had a couple HS65s I'll use on the tail surfaces. My buddy was using a 3s 2200mAh lipo in it before, but I think he was running a bigger motor. I'll need to pick up some smaller batts, as the smallest I have now is a 1800mAh 3s.