Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

 

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Workshop Skills
Forgot your password? Create a new account


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #196
sensei
Super Weight Freak
 
sensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio Texas
Age: 58
Posts: 2,939
Awards Showcase
Norm Abrams Master Craftsman Award: Master Craftsman. Simply an amazing builder! - Issue reason: Your the man when it comes to Balsa 
Total Awards: 1
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

Quote: Originally Posted by Bam Bam
View Post
I need some advice! Having never done servo mounts before, i've just winged it. was thinking that simply glueing the servo mounts to the foam may not be enough and it could "peel" off with heavy loads? not sure but decieded to add some dowels to go into the foam almost to the skin. then i was thinking is this enough???? should i do more or something else??

Or am i totally over thinking it??? i have not glued the dowels into the harwood rails yet. what are peoples thoughts??

forgot to mention, these are the elevator servo mounts and obviously has two servos in it. (i went with JR 8911's everywhere- same as the USA 8711 i think)
Hello Bam Bam,

The plates and servo rails are more than enough to hold the servos in withought the dowls, just make sure you have good bond lines when installing them, I like to use Gorilla glue in areas like this.

Bob
sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:57 AM   #197
Craven
on a vacation
 
Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Age: 52
Posts: 10,838
Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! FlyingGiants TBob Award!: Much coveted award for providing continued excellence in forum posting. - Issue reason: For living up to the example Tbob has set. Your one in a million, and we love you in a non gay way. FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. 
Total Awards: 4
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

I like reading Sensei's advice because I swear I'm going to take a shot at building someday soon.
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #198
Bam Bam
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
Bam Bam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria, Australia
Age: 36
Posts: 3,385
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

Thanks sensei!
Hey Craven, seriously, take a crack at it! You got unlimited advice on here and we should all be taking advantage of legendary builders such as Bob's know how! Ya just gotta do it! Best thing you could ever do!
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #199
rc4flying
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
rc4flying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hermitage, Pa
Age: 59
Posts: 2,811
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

Quote: Originally Posted by Craven
View Post
cuz I'm retarded.
Can you say that again alittle louder.

I can't believe you are admitting what we all here already know ?????
__________________
rc4flying

Papa Stek

Joe

Team Futaba
Desert Aircraft
Carden Aircraft

"Fly them hard, but fly them safe"
rc4flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #200
Mr.E
Uber Contributor
 
Mr.E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Age: 35
Posts: 894
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

Bam, I cant believe this is your first build. Big props to your work, it is looking very good. I would like to attempt a build myself (Aerotech Edge) as I am sure the amount of pride and hard work you builders put into your kits make them fly 10x sweeter. Plus I like the fact of not walking down the flight line and seeing 15 of the same plane, same scheme. Guess that is why I have held on to my Krill for so long...

I personally cant wait to see/hear that Mintor singing on a high speed pass down the runway. Make sure you get at least a video of that for me..
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #201
walkerk122
Uber Contributor
 
walkerk122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ankeny, IA
Age: 37
Posts: 736
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

Quote: Originally Posted by Bam Bam
View Post
I need some advice! Having never done servo mounts before, i've just winged it. was thinking that simply glueing the servo mounts to the foam may not be enough and it could "peel" off with heavy loads? not sure but decieded to add some dowels to go into the foam almost to the skin. then i was thinking is this enough???? should i do more or something else??

Or am i totally over thinking it??? i have not glued the dowels into the harwood rails yet. what are peoples thoughts??

forgot to mention, these are the elevator servo mounts and obviously has two servos in it. (i went with JR 8911's everywhere- same as the USA 8711 i think)
Andrew,
On mine I just gg'd the plates in without any rails behind them....you'll definatley be fine!
__________________
-Kevin
walkerk122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #202
Bam Bam
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
 
Bam Bam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria, Australia
Age: 36
Posts: 3,385
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

I will leave the dowels off then so as not to add weight.

I guess I will do a fast low pass for mr E, just don't expect your quality of vid!
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #203
Craven
on a vacation
 
Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Age: 52
Posts: 10,838
Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! FlyingGiants TBob Award!: Much coveted award for providing continued excellence in forum posting. - Issue reason: For living up to the example Tbob has set. Your one in a million, and we love you in a non gay way. FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. 
Total Awards: 4
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

Quote: Originally Posted by Bam Bam
View Post
Thanks sensei!
Hey Craven, seriously, take a crack at it! You got unlimited advice on here and we should all be taking advantage of legendary builders such as Bob's know how! Ya just gotta do it! Best thing you could ever do!
I couldn't agree more. Hopefully this winter.
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #204
danielgpr
Uber Contributor
 
danielgpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Age: 42
Posts: 733
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

Quote: Originally Posted by Craven
View Post
I couldn't agree more. Hopefully this winter.
Bla Bla Bla -
I'll be a old man by then, LMFAO
Dan
danielgpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #205
Craven
on a vacation
 
Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Age: 52
Posts: 10,838
Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! FlyingGiants TBob Award!: Much coveted award for providing continued excellence in forum posting. - Issue reason: For living up to the example Tbob has set. Your one in a million, and we love you in a non gay way. FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. 
Total Awards: 4
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

Quote: Originally Posted by danielgpr
View Post
Bla Bla Bla -
I'll be a old man by then, LMFAO
Dan
You're already old. When you hit 35 all hell starts to break loose.
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #206
Mr.E
Uber Contributor
 
Mr.E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Age: 35
Posts: 894
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

dont tell me that Craven, I am only 3.5 years away from that mark..
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #207
Craven
on a vacation
 
Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Age: 52
Posts: 10,838
Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! FlyingGiants TBob Award!: Much coveted award for providing continued excellence in forum posting. - Issue reason: For living up to the example Tbob has set. Your one in a million, and we love you in a non gay way. FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. 
Total Awards: 4
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.E
View Post
dont tell me that Craven, I am only 3.5 years away from that mark..
LOL.....that gives you something to look forward to.
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #208
danielgpr
Uber Contributor
 
danielgpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Age: 42
Posts: 733
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

Quote: Originally Posted by Craven
View Post
You're already old. When you hit 35 all hell starts to break loose.
LOL, thats no lie!

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.E
View Post
dont tell me that Craven, I am only 3.5 years away from that mark..
Damn, thats a long time! Kids, LOL

Dan
danielgpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #209
danielgpr
Uber Contributor
 
danielgpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Age: 42
Posts: 733
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

How's the plane coming BamBam?
Trying to catch up.
Lots of work, though it has been therapeutic.
Dan
danielgpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #210
Craven
on a vacation
 
Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Age: 52
Posts: 10,838
Awards Showcase
F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER!: F3A TEAM USA SUPPORTER! - Issue reason: You are BAD ASS, Thank you for supporting the 2009 F3A TEAM USA! Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: Thank you so much! FlyingGiants TBob Award!: Much coveted award for providing continued excellence in forum posting. - Issue reason: For living up to the example Tbob has set. Your one in a million, and we love you in a non gay way. FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. 
Total Awards: 4
Default Re: Aerotech 55% extra 260 build

I'm doing a build thread myself.......this looks way too easy.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=55344
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How about another Aerotech build - 42% Extra customcover Airframes and Kits 37 05-02-2012 08:59 PM
35% aerotech extra 300 build grumman-cats Workshop Skills 24 02-13-2011 06:55 AM
Aerotech 42% Extra 300 Build lakerider8 Build Threads 219 08-30-2010 03:01 PM
Aerotech 42% Extra 300 build thread Aerotech Build Threads 114 03-20-2008 12:58 PM
Aerotech Extra 300 build/finish xtra330 Workshop Skills 129 10-23-2006 08:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.

All Flyinggiants.com content copyright 2006-2014 by RCGroups.com, LLC except where otherwise indicated. The Flyinggiants.com logo is a trademark of RCGroups.com, LLC.
Please report any misuse of our trademarks or copyright violations using the contact form.
RCGroups Network :: RCGroups :: The E Zone :: Lift Zone :: RC Power :: Crackroll :: RC Cars

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.