Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Gas Engines
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 06-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
wagas
I'd Rather Be Flying!

Default Dynatron starter Upgrade for larger engines?

Does anybody know who makes a kit to upgrade the existing Dynatron 12-24v starter to crank up G62's and 3W75 size engines? I already have the starter just need the larger Cone and/or Gear Reduction. Thanks....
wagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Do-rag
Grass on the tail is good

Default Re: Dynatron starter Upgrade for larger engines?

Just buy a Megatron starter. It already has the bigger cup and will be easier to use with the double handles when you press on the spinner.
Do-rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Kiwi
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Send a message via Skype™ to Kiwi

But dont run it on 24 volts.

I have a dead one here from doing exactly that. Not recommended at all and that was to start a ZDZ80. It was being a stubborn mule one day so I resorted to that setup. Lots of smoke and stuff, engine started by the way but the starter is a boat anchor now.

However dont despair. The same guys make a really powerful small starter that you can connect to the belt drive reduction system. 4 to 1 or there abouts. Not sure who makes it.

That setup works really well and I have seen 100cc twins fired up without any effort at all.

Unlike glow motors your gasser does not need to be spun over at 1000 plus rpm to get it to fire. A starter that will turn 300 to 500 rpm is way plenty, after all they start with a simple flick most times.

Kiwi

www.crackroll.com

Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
fly boy 01
Heli 3D

Quote: Originally Posted by Kiwi
But dont run it on 24 volts.

I have a dead one here from doing exactly that. Not recommended at all and that was to start a ZDZ80. It was being a stubborn mule one day so I resorted to that setup. Lots of smoke and stuff, engine started by the way but the starter is a boat anchor now.

Kiwi
We've run the dynatrons on 24 volts for helis here, and haven't had any issues. That being said, if you hold the starter down for a long time, it can weld the contacts together. Just have to be careful. You can also run 2 7 cell rc car packs on the dynatron giving like 18 volts or so i think? Those work well.
fly boy 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Kiwi

Send a message via Skype™ to Kiwi

Fly Boy,

Thats exactly what happened to mine. It welded the contacts together and of course me trying to be Mr perfect with the fancy field box had the thing hard wired to the battery. By the time I got the terminal off it was toast.

I found the trouble with mine was it was not any more powerful than the smaller compact units. On 12 volts it was so weak you could stall it with your hand. Maybe I got a dud one but being 5000 miles away from the supplier it was not worth the effort to get it back for a check over.

Kiwi

www.crackroll.com

Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
aviti

What you are looking for is a Miller RC gear reduction that goes on a Dynatron. You run it at 24 volts and it will start most anything. I use it on my DA 100 and it starts it effortlessly. I don't believe Miller has a website but if you search on RCU you can probably find his telephone #.
aviti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
wagas
I'd Rather Be Flying!

Thanks...I'm finding out that the RC Miller 4 to 1 is the best bet and i don't have to buy another starter, just use the dynatron that I have. I was just quoted $125 for the unit by itself...

Hodges Hobbies here in GA has them I just found out so it looks like I'll end up going with that. With the gear reduction I suppose I won't have to use 24v, I'll just try and use a 12v motorcycle battery...and see how that does...

Thanks for the tips...
wagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:44 PM   #8
aviti

Try it on 12 volts first but when I bought mine from Miller, he strongly recommended using 24 volts. With the reduction, 24 volts doesn't spin the starter very fast so 12 would be quite slow. Let us know if it turns over the 3W 75 on 12 volts.
aviti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:21 AM   #9
mrhp
Doo It! Doo It!

Quote: Originally Posted by aviti
Try it on 12 volts first but when I bought mine from Miller, he strongly recommended using 24 volts. With the reduction, 24 volts doesn't spin the starter very fast so 12 would be quite slow. Let us know if it turns over the 3W 75 on 12 volts.
it does
mrhp is offline   Reply With Quote